Getting a Surface 3 and undecided about Win 10 on it.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
My only hesitation is Metro apps no longer running in true full screen. There is always that bar down at the bottom, which ruins most of my touch screen games. So, I'll be keeping 8.1 for that reason.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think W10 is so good on the surface pro 3 it's not even funny- as if it was built for the device. It's not perfect but getting pretty close!

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't do it just yet. After upgrading, I noticed that things were not very smooth so I decided to do a refresh of the S3. Now I'm stuck in the "inaccessible boot loop" blue screen. It's bricked....

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I put W10 on my Surface 3 Pro yesterday and I am not ecstatic. I will get used to it, but it's just typical MS always changing things. Both for users and developers.

Lonestar6

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I updated my Surface 3 to Windows 10 yesterday. I have to say I'm not happy with some of the tablet unfriendly changes they made but I don't hate it enough on the Surface 3 to revert back. Hope MS can improve the touch experience going forward.

Dislikes:
  • Removal of the full screen all apps view
  • Interface relies on smaller touch targets than before (eg hamburger menu, notification icons), which requires more concentration
  • Don't like vertical scrolling tiles, and the 3 tile wide limitation for tile groups
  • Hate always on taskbar for full screen apps, but you can set it to auto-hide when in apps so I can live with it.
  • Don't like the new OneNote app (which I use a lot), which is more cumbersome to navigate with touch. I really liked the "swipe-in" and radial menu paradigms and it seems both have now gone away.
  • Hate the new Skype, which is not touch friendly at all
  • I don't find Cortana particularly useful
  • MS really needs to make universal apps of old stalwarts like File Explorer that are more touch friendly

• Edge browser is really nice and lightning quick. Not as touch friendly as the old Modern IE (but better than desktop Chrome and IE), but that browser was sluggish and glitchy as hell. Can't wait for Edge to get extensions like Ad Block.
  • Love the new MSN apps
  • Can't hide the taskbar when in the start screen, but I actually find it useful in that mode.
  • Like the new Action Center (was never a big fan of the Charms menu anyway)
  • As a consequence of the small interface elements, information density seems to be higher than before, which is good. I thought a well designed "panorama" Win8 style app could be gorgeous at times, but very wasting of screen real estate at many other times. The old MSN apps were an example of this.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Dislikes:

• Don't like the new OneNote app (which I use a lot), which is more cumbersome to navigate with touch. I really liked the "swipe-in" and radial menu paradigms and it seems both have now gone away.

I second this. the surface is basically a onenote device, and they broke a whole lot of functionality with the new windows 10 app. one of the absolute largest, most annoying features is I can no longer take a picture with the onenote app. which is huge. even in the onenote windows 10 mobile app, i can do this. I suspect this is coming, but i'm really annoyed with this.

that said, i do like that i can use the desktop windows 10 app, including the screen clip tool. I've found this tool really helpful in desktop, and i put the tool in the tray (next to the clock) so i can hit it, take a screen grab, and tell it specifically where to send it.

I haven't alway used windows 10, but when I do, I choose the desktop OneNote version.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sticking to 8.1 on my primary machine (Surface Pro 2) until some Windows 10 issues get worked out. I've been playing with it on my second SP2 and am not particularly happy with a number of things like the new Windows 10 mail app.

I can't even put OneDrive on the memory card (Drive D:). I knew the selective per-file offline capability was going away. But to actually feel the pain in reality is a whole other story.

I'll probably put Windows 10 on my Surface 3 and primary desktop PC. 8.1 will remain on my WMC machine. Plus I have like 16 machines to upgrade between family and work. At this point, most will be on 10. The mission critical machines will remain on 8.1 because 8.1 is mature and stable. Can't say that about 10 yet.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm still preferring Win 10 over 8.1 but here are the things I would like to see.

• A way to bring back the all apps list. Perhaps MS could make it an app or an item like they did for File Explorer.
  • Full screen should be an option on all apps in tablet mode and it should remember your last setting. I've inadvertently activated taskbar elements when using touch. The hide running apps helps some with this problem. However, it would pose a problem with the back arrow.
  • Not an OS issue but I would like apps to have a touch/pen toggle. Palm rejection just doesn't work well enough.
  • Swipe on the keyboards.

Yes, the new native OneNote is terrible. This makes the desktop version a must.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)