SP3 and Windows 10- Huge dissapointment

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
working on documents with the pen function is a pain as there sides of the screen has different functions now, so if you wanna highlight a sentence in read and you start from the left its gonna jump to showing open windows!

Excuse me but this has been around since Windows 8.1. There have been countless times when I tried to highlight something from the left side of the screen and ended up switching apps instead. But I do agree that it's slower to switch between apps and also the missing of the 3-app-snapping function is a shame. But then, it's not that hard to learn the tablet mode in Windows 10. You made it with Windows 8 and 8.1, so I'm sure you can survive through this.

I personally find that rearranging app in tablet mode in Windows 10 is just as restricting as they are in Windows 8. In Windows 8, tiles keep on arranging themselves should there be any unfilled space between them making it so hard to have a start screen like what I want sometimes. In windows 10, tiles behave like what they would on a phone (which is a good thing) but it's not possible to have 2 wide tiles side by side anymore. And there are lots of apps that I need to be on either wide or large tiles. So they are both not very free for us to do what we want, but just in different ways. Personally, I think the start screen on 8 and 8.1 waste more space than that on Windows 10.

One more thing I don't like is that the gesture log in screen is just pathetic. Everything looks so awkward and coarse. I think the 8.1 one is much much better and in line with the design of Windows 10.

Oh and the battery life of my Surface Pro 3 is a bit worse and my machine seems to be warmer and gets hot a lot more than before. Maybe with a few more tweaks and optimisations this will be ironed out

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
hmm the icons of the start menu and in tablet mode are 3 tiles wide and it annoys me too. but then I thought about it; windows 10 for phone is out whenever. its limited to 3 tiles in width (on my 1520) so I guess this would allow you to have the same icons on your surface/pc as on your phone.

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Edit: I just found the setting that allows you to make the keyboard pop up when an external keyboard isn't attached regardless of tablet mode. Go to settings/devices/typing, its there and makes the surface a much better tablet for me..

This is awesome! This had been driving me crazy!

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Clean install usually does the trick with anything. I had a good experience with the upgrade and I'm pretty happy with the new OS on my SP3. No major beefs.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

pjniez

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my SP3 early this week and have had no issues. I did leave it on (configured to not sleep/hibernate) for the first night so that it could take care of any maintenance it needed to do.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active using the Tapatalk app

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a core i5 processor with only 4 gigs of ram. My biggest issues has been how hot my Pro gets. I can't use it as a tablet on my bare legs. it freakishly hot. Battery life on windows 8 I could muster around 7.5 hours, I am down to 3-4 hours now.

RaymondDijkstra

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but it's not bad enough for me to go back to 8.1... I love the left swipe for the app switching and desktops, that is an awesome function, I like the start menu also. Notifications are good but buggy and Cortana is great. Tablet mode sucks *** and so does Edge, The problems I mention before have been going on since the SP1 so I cant blame it on W10, guess I will have to live with it..

Edit: I just found the setting that allows you to make the keyboard pop up when an external keyboard isn't attached regardless of tablet mode. Go to settings/devices/typing, its there and makes the surface a much better tablet for me..

Great find! Made my day!

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot (20).jpgScreenshot (19).jpgI have massive battery issues as well. VERY frustrating. All the features seem to be fine but battery is HORRIBLE and I had zero issues with it when I was using just 8.1. It's expected though. All the time. Whenever there's a major upgrade or firmware change seems like you need to jump through hoops just to make it work right.

Attaching two screens, one a sleep study that shows what the main issues seem to be. Hoping I can find a quick fix. Can't keep going through this and I DO NOT want to go back to my MacAir just because of battery (I get 9-10 hours easy and do cross country travel so I need it).

Soroush Ayrempour

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Well after over a week of struggle with windows 10 I'm back to windows 8.1 and it feels better than ever. Although I just read the fix for the missing on screen keyboard now, which was one of the most annoying glitches of windows 10. Regardless I do realize how windows 10 is an improvement, but not much for a device like surface pro 3, surprisingly enough when I expected it to be so compatible with SP3. Battery problem and overheating was a major issue, which I'm pretty sure will be solved as they roll out new firmware patches. What I really miss now that I went back to windows 8.1 is my push email notifications and the google calendar that used to show on windows 10 default calendar app. Can anyone suggest a solution for that on windows 8.1?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro