Windows 10 - What do you think?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I just upgraded to Win10 on my SP3 (well actually all my systems minus phone). Here are some of my thoughts about the good and the bad.

First, The Good:

The upgrade went rather smoothly. All of my apps work and I didn't have any problems connecting to my network drives, internet, etc.

The OS is smooth and responsive, with no big hiccups.

I don't see any performance issues.

I like the updated Outlook as well as the other apps that were updated when upgrading.

I like that you can create multiple desktops. This is nice in that it can allow for less crowding on one desktop. I can keep my Outlook open on one, while using Lightroom and Photoshop on another. My taskbar doesn't become crowded.

Microsoft Edge is nice and fast. It hasn't crashed on me... yet, where as IE would crash a few times a day.

Cortana is nice. It automatically had my Cortana settings that I have on my Icon. Hitting the search key (F5) brings her up with no worries.

Action center is nice too. It gives me quick access to items that in Win8.1 I had to dig for in settings.

Pen works with out any problems.

Connecting to a wireless display adaptor is easier than before.

Now, the The Bad (or needs some work):

OneDrive will not synch with an SDCard. On Win8.1, all of my OneDrive stuff was synched to my microSD card. However Win10 won't let me synch. To synch, you have to do a work around by creating a folder on the C: drive and then mount the microSD card to that folder. Then tell OneDrive to synch to that folder instead. It works, but it is cumbersome and I don't understand why Microsoft changed it.

Switching between desktop and tablet modes works ok. It's not stellar and it DOES need some work to be more intuitive. It's not readily apparent how to get it into tablet mode automatically. Upon set up, it should ask which type of device you are setting up (i.e. tablet, hybrid, laptop/desktop). Then ask when you want it to transition from desktop to tablet mode and vice versa.

Hey Cortana is spotty. I can get it to work sometimes. Other times.... not so much.

Quiet hours seems to be an afterthought. There is no way to set up quiet hours like on my Icon.

Fan running almost all of the time. Actually, this was happening with Win8.1 too. I'm not sure why. I've limited how many apps run in the background.

Microsoft Edge doesn't allow swiping left or right to go back or forward. You actually have to tap the back/fwd buttons for that. Kind of counter intuitive and a step back.

Overall, I like the look and feel of the upgrade. The learning curve (at least for me), wasn't all that big. The only true frustration I had was with OneDrive. It's a solid stable OS and I plan on staying with it and not rolling back to Win8.1.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i want to like Edge, I really do. I want to use it. The scrolling on the surface pro 3 while using Edge is so fluid and smooth compared to any other browser, including chrome, which is what I use.

Problem is, I can't reconcile how this will integrate with my android phone. I like how Chrome can sync across all devices and it integrates with my google now to give me a customized experience on my phone.

The beta versions of cortana do not come anywhere close to google now, which is understandable since they probably don't have deep system access and integration like google does on their own ecosystem.

Plugins seem like an easy hurdle, especially since MS said they will have plugin support in the near future. All I use is lastpass and an ad blocker anyway.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand your dilemma, since you are in two ecosystems. For me. It's no problem. I have a Windows Phone, so everything synchs without any issues. Even my Cortana settings synch.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with you gernerttl, but I use an iPhone, so I can't relate to the Lumina stuff.

It seems my fan runs just a little bit more than usual, but its not that bad.

And Tofu, I agree with you too, except the Android part... all I use is LastPass and AdBlocker, especially on Windowscen... well... you know... but I can deal with it until then.

Liking the built-in mail program, and Tablet Mode/Continuum should work WAY better... if I shut down in tablet mode, but boot the next day with the keyboard attached, I wish it would know that and boot in desktop mode.

I know Windows 10 will only get better, and there's nothing in how it is now that would make me go back to Windows 7/8.1.
I'll be taking my SP3 on vacation (and a photo shoot during that vacation) next week so I'll see how I make out. I have everything installed and ready to go...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's been two weeks since I upgraded to Windows 10 and I am still liking it. In fact as I use it more, I find that I'm liking it more and more.

The biggest issue is Microsoft Edge. It doesn't seem to be as polished as Internet Explorer is. Since it's such a new browser, certain websites can be a bit hokey. Meaning, things I had no problem doing, like form inputs and such, that worked fine in IE now don't work in Edge. Also, I've had problems with Edge crashing, when I visit certain sites like Facebook. Finally, it is annoying that Edge doesn't support gestures, like swiping left and right to go forward and backwards. That was very convenient in my opinion.

I haven't had a chance to fully test battery life yet, so I can't speak to that issue. Heat can be a bit annoying. It depends on what I'm doing. Although, I don't seem to be having as much heating issues now. I'm not sure if it's because I've had the OS now for two weeks and its settled down, or if and update got pushed out to an app (or by Microsoft) to address it. This was something I noticed when I was on WP8.1DP on my Icon. Certain apps that were not optimized for the new OS were causing battery drain and heating. I am wondering if that could be the same here. Certain apps haven't been updated and optimized for the new OS. I have a feeling as developers update their apps, we'll start seeing better battery life and less heating.

One other issue is that I can't synch my OneDrive to my microSD card. That has limited how much of my OneDrive files I can store locally, since my apps also reside on the SSD and not the microSD card.

Like I said before switching between tablet and desktop mode works ok. But it is not stellar. I've gotten used to it though, so its quirks don't seem to be as annoying as before.

Cortana is actually nice to have. I don't use "Hey Cortana" all that much, but just having the ability to do a three finger tap on the track pad to bring up Cortana is actually really convenient.

All in all, I am really happy with the upgrade and will recommend it to anybody. Now if I can get a reliable build of Windows 10 Mobile for my Icon... then I'd be cooking with butter flavored Crisco.

Last edited:

webosdropout

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Win 10 as a desktop is a great OS. However, for tablet owners its a long road ahead for MS to polish up user experience. The tablet mode feel like its 2 years away from working the way it should. Too many hiccups...

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
They took a step back in so many ways with windows 10 - especially in the tablet capabilities - why they just could not have the taskbar disappear completely in tablet mode and keep it just how it was in windows 8 is frankly mind-blowing

also, the whole OneDrive thing is a total mess now - I understand why they're doing it, but you don't rip out what you have today while you re-write it - that's just asinine

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 is great however it has bugs, like the one I am experiencing on my hp laptop I can't power off when powering down I get a blank screen and stays powered on I have to manually power off each time this is forcing me to go back to 8.1, it also corrupted my tablet and now I cant restore as I get a bsod :(

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is great however it has bugs, like the one I am experiencing on my hp laptop I can't power off when powering down I get a blank screen and stays powered on I have to manually power off each time

Had this same issue on my wife's PC after a fresh Windows 7 install last month. Upgraded to Windows 10, now it shuts down properly.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is great however it has bugs, like the one I am experiencing on my hp laptop I can't power off when powering down I get a blank screen and stays powered on I have to manually power off each time

This is not unique to Win10. I've had this problem with both Windows 7 and 8.1. I never did figure out why. I will say that eventually after a few updates pumped out by Microsoft, it did clear itself out.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is not unique to Win10. I've had this problem with both Windows 7 and 8.1. I never did figure out why. I will say that eventually after a few updates pumped out by Microsoft, it did clear itself out.

It's usually an issue with a driver not properly releasing the hardware. Windows will wait until the hardware is in a state where it is ready to be shut off, if a piece of hardware (or its driver) never reports the hardware's state to the OS these things can happen.

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Turns out it wasn't a driver issue with and windows problem, by deselecting allow windows updates to update other windows programs in updates has fixed the problem

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans