Why is the Surface Pro 3 so bad all of a sudden?

Suneet Dixit

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I have been facing the problem of random touches on the screen. It is being registered on the same spot everytime.

Also, sometimes when I connect or disconnect earphones/headphones while I'm watching Netflix, I have experienced crashes. Anyone else facing the same problems? Solutions?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I believe Surface team is separate from Windows team.
Surface team has only 4 device for windows 10 right? (Surface pro / pro 2 / pro 3 / Surface 3) It looks like they didn't test this 4 device for windows 10. 4 PC's to test windows 10 how hard can it be? Right? But no they did not test it. If they said we test it then I say hire decent tester (Here in this forum there are better testers then in Surface team, If they have any)

Short story; I already roll back to win 8.1 and don't recommend win 10 to any surface pro 3 user at the moment.

I'm not experiencing any of these problems.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Same; win10 on both my SP3s. Runs perfectly.

I'm not saying that, LOL.

I did find an issue just today actually. When connecting to my TV via the display port, video is in slow motion and there is no sound. It works fine through Miracast though.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
hmmm that's one thing I haven't tested; the display port. not since I got my wireless display adaptor.

who plugs in cables these days? :p

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like some of the features in 10, I'm also thinking about rolling back on my SP3.

• Battery life is shorter
  • App Store doesn't seem to work
  • OneDrive placeholder feature missing rendering it almost useless to me
  • OneNote app is read only now??
  • Cortana requires set up every time I reboot
  • Cortana could not hear me - Mic level is really low despite tweaking the sensitivity

Something is wrong with your install. Mine doesn't have shorter battery life, the app store works, one note works like normal, Cortana remains set up and hears my voice.

Engineers

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if this was just happening to me. About 10 minutes after turning on my SP3, the system is using most of the available memory. And this happens all the time. It is even worse when I use Edge. But even if I don't use Edge my fans are running fast and hot. Battery life sucks. I basically can't run my SP3 for more than 1 hour without restarting because the system is using so much memory and every thing gets slow and I have windows poping up saying my memory is low. Basically W10 made my SP3 unusable.

I've been trying to get info on this but every time I ask the question I get bashed as a Microsoft hater from all the fanboys that claim W10 is great.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Engineers, don't feel alone. I too can not get W10 to run smoothly on my SP3. I have encountered the exact same issues you have. I have run the RTM, Insider slow, and fast rings.

I gave up and went back to W8.1 and have been quite content. I keep watching the various threads, posts to see if less and less people have these issues, hoping to go back to W10.

The sad part is I was bored one day and stopped in at my local MS store and played around on one of their W10 SP3 demo units, in about 30 minutes of use, it ran into issues of heat, slow, memory low. I pointed it out to the sales person, they gave out a big sigh, and quickly rebooted the unit. I could tell they were getting tired of having to do it. The funny part was I had the keyboard in the passive position (folded back), and it too had the delayed startup. The sales person really freaked out, till I mentioned that it's a known firmware bug.

kimigayo

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the sales agent sighed because you were just sitting in the store using their demo unit for 30 minutes with no intentions of buying. Then to top it off, you complained to them.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
My i7 battery life is as good as 8.1, if not better.

My i3 with fast ring update has phenomenal battery life. I don't take my charger to work with me now.

Drayk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I do not have the random-touch problem you mentioned.

I guess you are talking about the app version of OneNote, which does not allow adjusting the pen size. I use the Desktop version and everything works so fine (as fine as I did in Win 8.1).

Indeed I enjoy so much using my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. I believe there is some problem with your installation of Windows 10.

I also use the desktop version of OneNote. I'm a contractor and one of the things I use my surface for is taking a screen shot of a blueprint detail, marking it up and emailing it off. Double click on the eraser and the screen shot goes to the OneNote app. I can mark it up the way I need to but the markup won't attach to an email. My work around is to pull up the quick note function and long press, take screen clipping and that will send the screen clipping to the OneNote program. From there you can mark it up and send it in Outlook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos