A story of "?Phantom touches" and my failed guerrilla fight.. Can you help me?

Tiji P Mathew

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I brought a surface pro 3 with < moderator edit - serial number removed > from Amazon US on Dec 3 2014 and am currently in India. Upgraded the windows 8.1 to windows 10; you know how stupid am to embrace windows 10… surface started taking control of tablet – touch the touch screen by itself… after 3-4 days of windows 10 update. I cannot do anything in the tablet for which I spent more than 900 dollar; hard earned money.

Surface is stimulating touch – technically “Phantom touches”‏ - in middle part of the screen even without a touch. To login I have to be a guerrilla fighter; I have to strike with my password when “Surface Phantom” is taking a nap… I was victorious ones in 100 but once I logged in I am again attacked by “Phantom”.. to give credit he/she is nonstop in his activity / loyal .. as if this is not my tablet; but his/her.. Not able to operate / trouble shoot tablet as app window position getting changed randomly.

My hard earn money is a waste; I attracted the “phantom” to life; by doing stupidity of believing the hype about windows 10.

I had connected with Microsoft customer service through phone and chat. As per direction tried reset also but no resolution. And as per there instruction started downloading 5.5 GB zip file to create the recovery USB. I done download 4 times; each time the downloading stopped in mid-way – (after downloading around 3.5 GB, 1.5 GB .5 GB and then 3 GB which caused more than Rs.2000/- again money lost ).

There is no resume support for this big zip. Why can’t Microsoft add that?

Now I am having some Qs Microsoft’s team.

I could see lots of post related to Phantom touches in surface... if this is a known issue why not fixed during windows 10?
Why no replay to the mail? The chat room assistant said I can reach out by replaying to that mail with any Qs.
I am totally disappointed with product brought after shelling out hard earned money. Are there any way I can get a replacement / service. What is the process of shipping to USA from INDIA? Please replay to the post or replay to my mail ID. My Phone number already shared during the chat.

< moderator edit - removed support references >

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've removed the chat log and serial numbers from your post as someone may use these to impersonate you and attempt identity theft.

I've never seen phantom touches on my Surface Pro 3. Your poll suggests that this is "lucky", which it is not - it's just normal behaviour. It's you that's unlucky in getting this behaviour.

Phantom touches isn't something I've seen reported a lot on the SP3 (you're the first one I've really noticed).

A few things you've not mentioned:
* Do you have a screen protector - if so, remove it.
* Do you have a dirty/smeary screen - if so, clean it
* Has your SP3 ever been dropped/sat on/otherwise mishandled

You said you attempted the reset - did that bring you back to Windows 8.1 or did you remove the previous operating system installations after you upgraded to Windows 10?

Tiji P Mathew

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
* Do you have a screen protector - i had no screen protector
* Do you have a dirty/smeary screen - had cleaned it multiple times. am struggling with this for last 1 week.
* Has your SP3 ever been dropped/sat on/otherwise mishandled - NO

reset didnt worked..still has Windows 10.. I dint manually removed any OS installation

It's you that's unlucky in getting this behaviour.... yes am unlucky .. am stupid ... Tell me how to fix it ..why no replay to my mails. Please

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one is calling you stupid. I'm just attempting to diagnose what's going on in an attempt to give you an answer. It seems odd that the service operative wasn't able to get you reset back to Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 allows you to do that within 30 days of installation (it's in the settings somewhere).

The only reasonable solution I can see is that you try and find a WiFi network that is stable enough for you to download the recovery image and try that.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I brought a surface pro 3 with < moderator edit - serial number removed > from Amazon US on Dec 3 2014 and am currently in India. Upgraded the windows 8.1 to windows 10; you know how stupid am to embrace windows 10… surface started taking control of tablet – touch the touch screen by itself… after 3-4 days of windows 10 update. I cannot do anything in the tablet for which I spent more than 900 dollar; hard earned money.

Surface is stimulating touch – technically “Phantom touches”‏ - in middle part of the screen even without a touch. To login I have to be a guerrilla fighter; I have to strike with my password when “Surface Phantom” is taking a nap… I was victorious ones in 100 but once I logged in I am again attacked by “Phantom”.. to give credit he/she is nonstop in his activity / loyal .. as if this is not my tablet; but his/her.. Not able to operate / trouble shoot tablet as app window position getting changed randomly.

My hard earn money is a waste; I attracted the “phantom” to life; by doing stupidity of believing the hype about windows 10.

I had connected with Microsoft customer service through phone and chat. As per direction tried reset also but no resolution. And as per there instruction started downloading 5.5 GB zip file to create the recovery USB. I done download 4 times; each time the downloading stopped in mid-way – (after downloading around 3.5 GB, 1.5 GB .5 GB and then 3 GB which caused more than Rs.2000/- again money lost ).

There is no resume support for this big zip. Why can’t Microsoft add that?

Now I am having some Qs Microsoft’s team.

I could see lots of post related to Phantom touches in surface... if this is a known issue why not fixed during windows 10?
Why no replay to the mail? The chat room assistant said I can reach out by replaying to that mail with any Qs.
I am totally disappointed with product brought after shelling out hard earned money. Are there any way I can get a replacement / service. What is the process of shipping to USA from INDIA? Please replay to the post or replay to my mail ID. My Phone number already shared during the chat.

< moderator edit - removed support references >

I spoke with Microsoft several times. You have to install an updated before upgrading to Windows 10. Go back to Windows 8.1, install the update, then upgrade to Windows 10 and the phantom touches should be gone.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Also areas of the screen that wouldn't read touch with finger or pen.

Resolved by going back to W8.1

These issues, were they something like vertical sections of the screen? I had this issue, where a vertical line on the right side of my screen would have touch and Pen skip over it. Did you experience something like that? I'm having my Surface exchanged, but maybe it was just about software? My Surface Pen's little dot when hovering was stuck outside the vertical line.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
They were mostly in the upper right of the screen. Which was a pain when trying to close out apps and programs via the title bar. Also, randomly in the middle of the screen.

I had made sure that W8.1 was completely current on all its updates before upgrading to W10. Or I had done a fresh install of W10 via the ISO. And also made sure that W10 had all its updates. It w's VERY frustrating, hence the roll back to W8.1

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
They were mostly in the upper right of the screen. Which was a pain when trying to close out apps and programs via the title bar. Also, randomly in the middle of the screen.

I had made sure that W8.1 was completely current on all its updates before upgrading to W10. Or I had done a fresh install of W10 via the ISO. And also made sure that W10 had all its updates. It w's VERY frustrating, hence the roll back to W8.1

I had the same problem, but only on the sound icon in the bottom right. I went back to WIndows 8.1 and installed a firmware update.

Tiji P Mathew

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
esupport sony com... It has the N-Trig tool to calibrate and install the proper drivers on SP3.

This will fix your issue almost guaranteed. It's the N-Trig calibration and repair tool w/ proper drivers. A lot of SP3 are trying to install incorrect drivers for some reason.

Thanks a lot LanceDavis1989 ( in another forum - answers microsoft com ) ... you just saved me from 1week of frustration ... which the Microsoft support team couldn't ...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
esupport sony com... It has the N-Trig tool to calibrate and install the proper drivers on SP3.

This will fix your issue almost guaranteed. It's the N-Trig calibration and repair tool w/ proper drivers. A lot of SP3 are trying to install incorrect drivers for some reason.

Thanks a lot LanceDavis1989 ( in another forum - answers microsoft com ) ... you just saved me from 1week of frustration ... which the Microsoft support team couldn't ...

Here's the link:

Sony eSupport - SVF15N190X - Drivers & Software

Hieu Nguyen6

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Run Sony Vaio tool and the issues are :
0)Error:payloadLen len is too small =0 while it should be 3
0)Error:Failed to HandleResponse. ParseResponseToCall() failed.
Anyone can solve it ??? I search google for them all yesterday but not result

Last edited:

Tiji P Mathew

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I too got that.. but don't know why and how to resolve..am getting the phantom touch in different place.. but in less frequency... managing with surface pro 3..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium