Windows 10 + Surface Pro 3 = Disappointment

FTech9

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I have to say, Microsoft really let me and my Surface Pro 3 down with Windows 10. Anyone who knows me will tell you I am a huge Microsoft guy, I am always pushing Microsoft products. But Windows 10 is nowhere near Windows 8 in terms of ?touch friendly?. Really, there are only two things that ruined my SP3 tablet experience. First, no touch optimized browser!!! Wow, I am speechless, wait no? actually really angry about it. The metro browser may not have been perfect, but for a tablet it was pretty awesome. And second, swipe app change. While not a deal breaker, it was extremely efficient way to fly through open apps.

Other than that Windows 10 seem like a pretty awesome OS IMHP. I am sure a lot of desktop users are going to like it over Windows 8. But then again the desktop computer market is dying. Mobile devices are king and that means touch is the way of the future. It was a mistake, especially with the Surface line, for Microsoft to take such a big back-step in tablet usability.

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows 10 for touch could have been a lot better but it is still a work in progress hopefully they will put back in the touch browser unfortunately I think they tried to please everyone but existing Windows 8 users. I thought the start screen for 8 was a much better design. I think they listened to too many Apple users (How old is that terrible UI). If they brought back the Metro start from 8 to Windows 10 then I would be happy. But I do like 10 just need a touch browser in Edge

gregh57

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
couldn't agree more - I had high hopes for win10 on my pro3 but it has not been good at all - Edge is probably the worst browser experience I've had (and I go back to Mosaic) - and with the dock it is even worse. I hear a lot of talk about October for a major update but if the system is not working okay after that I will switching to a macbook air like most of my students have. I never thought I'd do that, but win10 is a step back from 8.1 as far as my experience goes

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my SP3 to windows 10 and the battery life has been very bad. The fan kicks on quite offer even if I'm just on the web and doing emails. Anyone else experience this? Anything that can be done to make it better?

mtb1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
any way to roll back to 8.1 from 10? I'm on the insiders preview and when I tried it says, files don't exist :/

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I thought 8.1 was perfect on my tablets and I had no problems navigating around on my laptop with just a mouse and keyboard. Windows 10's UI is a major step backwards.

Roberto Vega

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have had similar experience with Win 10 upgrade on my Surface Pro 3. Win 10 has me seriously considering going back to Linux. A new browser that does not fully support touch? You must be kidding. After upgrade my battery would not last two hours. There were system files (System Interrupts, ntoskrnl.exe) continuously taking about 30 percent of the CPU. The MS sculpt Comfort mouse would randomly stop working. The tablet mode was terrible. Overall Win 10 was a disaster for me. I wasted almost a week of time I could have dedicated to research trying to fix this Microsoft mess. I downgraded back to Win 8.1, which is not as trivial as MS would have you believe,and all the problems went away. Now I am constantly harassed by the MS icon urging me to upgrade!

MS is overpaying an army of programmers to produce this crap? I don't think MS will continue be a viable/reliable OS in the future. Thank you MS for wasting my time!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
W10 is not a finished product. They *had* to release it end of July, so that OEM get their products in time for "back to school" period.

They released a minimal viable product. Look at "outlook mail & calendar", obvious things are missing (empty trash, do NOT download remote content, etc.)

But they don't care. Because it's coming (educated guess) in TH2, or a future branch. I think that W10, on PC and tablet, will be more mature when W10 mobile is released. A former Acompli guy said that on Twitter: the mail client is going to received new features, all along the W10M development cycle, and of course, the PC client will follow.

I'm quite sure that the tablet mode will evolve too, or all the "touch optimised" apps.

We will have to judge/compare W10, when W10M is out, and the PC OS has matured by cross-fertilization.

My 2 cts.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar experience on mine and my wife's SP3. The graphic drivers update has made it a little better, but still nowhere close to 8.1
I upgraded my SP3 to windows 10 and the battery life has been very bad. The fan kicks on quite offer even if I'm just on the web and doing emails. Anyone else experience this? Anything that can be done to make it better?

FTech9

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
When I said the Desktop market it dyeing I meant it is no longer a growth market. The desktop market has shrunk dramatically in the mobile era, but that doesn't mean its going away anytime soon.

Why it is that Microsoft can create 98% of an amazing product, but that last 2% makes people want to yank all the hair out of their skulls...

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, in that I actually like tablet mode in Windows 10 better than 8.1...but, battery life is just awful...terrible... :(

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I really miss how clean the 8.1 Tiles looked against my background. Whether vertical or horizontal, a bing image of the day with a host of live tiles made my SP3 a gorgeous experience. It feels lackluster at best now.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have W10 on my VAIO in the living room and it works perfectly. I can't imagine a Surface device would be worse than a Sony.
But if you're really disappointed i'd be willing to trade!
:)

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have W10 on my VAIO in the living room and it works perfectly. I can't imagine a Surface device would be worse than a Sony.
But if you're really disappointed i'd be willing to trade!
:)

I have no problem with win10 on my sp3, for me it looks so much better and tablet mode although missing some things is way better, they will also improve and add features over time.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like whiners don't like change I love my sp2 with 10 on, what you guys are crying about it absolutely ridiculous. Microsoft said edge os going to grow and add touch support! They needed to put out a bullet proof engine first, then add add-ons. Between 8.1 and 10 in tablet mode there are differences but not to warrant going back! Continuum works 90% onwards.

Yes there are battery life and driver issues buts that like all o/s after new release take for example 95-98 xp - 7 7- 8. The firmware update on my sp2 gives me up to 6 hours battery, run edge or anything graphical it's less 2hr.

Either way it's the right direction and I'm happy as its progress over 7+ 8

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
They killed off everything from 8.1 touch related. Gestures, ideas, controls, everything gone. It's just desktop and a half arsed tablet mode. Touch is just an afterthought, tap with a finger equals a click with a mouse. It ends there. Is it unfinished? Why release it then? Nothing has people running to a competition more like an unfinished product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750