How do you protect your Surface Pro 3?

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been searching a lot, and can't find anything. The Type Cover is great, but it doesn't protect the sides of the Surface, and isn't the best in laptop mode.

I put a clear TPU case on all my phones to keep them from touching in surfaces that might scratch them.

I want to do the same for my Surface. Just something to keep it off any surface in tablet mode. How do you protect your Surface Pro 3?

I've been trying to find something good, but most cases either don't allow for the kickstand and Type Cover, or they're thick metal cases, often with their own kickstand.

This is the best I've found so far, but it has its own (annoying) kickstand thing and doesn't allow you to use the kickstand.
targus-evervu-folio-for-surface-pro-3-black-polyurethane-tablet-cases.png
It's also a hard material, but that's acceptable. I just want something like the black plastic part of the picture, that also allows you to use the kickstand.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As you look at these cases, make sure whatever you choose doesn't block the fan vents. I looked at a few, but they all either blocked the vents or, like you said, made the kick-stand unusable. I also didn't like the fact that they added thickness and weight to the Surface. I finally decided to just get a sleeve and keep it in there when traveling. I use it without any protection, and am careful about laying it down type cover side down.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here, I use a Snugg portfolio/sleeve for traveling and a tempered glass screen protector. I usually lay it cover side down too. I don't have any scratches either. The VaporMag casing is pretty tough.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I also do the same. Got a Hex folio-case-thing for free when I got my SP3, so I use that. I have my type cover attached when in the case, so when I take it out and put it down I usually have the type cover side down.

As you look at these cases, make sure whatever you choose doesn't block the fan vents. I looked at a few, but they all either blocked the vents...

You know, I never even thought of that... being I've had an iPad since forever, I tend to forget at times that the SP3 is an actual PC...

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
As you look at these cases, make sure whatever you choose doesn't block the fan vents. I looked at a few, but they all either blocked the vents or, like you said, made the kick-stand unusable. I also didn't like the fact that they added thickness and weight to the Surface. I finally decided to just get a sleeve and keep it in there when traveling. I use it without any protection, and am careful about laying it down type cover side down.

I probably should have read your reply before ordering, but below is the cover I decided to get. It's the same one I've found everywhere, but I got it from Germany to avoid any extra charges from outside Europe. It doesn't look like it blocks the vent, and it also works with the Type Cover! I have the same kind of case for my iPad, as it's essentially an iPad Smart Cover + case. It doesn't look too thick. I've seen it sold from Hong Kong, Germany and through Amazon with different brands, but the same design and function.
gross_image_22655.01_4.jpg
kwmobile ULTRA SLIM COVER FOR MICROSOFT SURFACE PRO 3 HARD SHELL CASE TABLET | eBay

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have the Microsoft screen protector on the front and DecalGirl skins on the sides and back. Along with the type cover, they do a very good job of protecting our SP3s. When we travel, we put them in pouch cases, which will be replaced tomorrow (as soon as the brown truck gets here) by Vangoddy El Prado bags (small), so we can carry all of our accessories.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
That's the one thing I don't like about the Hex case: I can't carry the power cord with it. It has a side pocket, but its too thin to stuff it in there. If it was a tiny bit thicker I'd be all set.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have the Microsoft screen protector on the front and DecalGirl skins on the sides and back. Along with the type cover, they do a very good job of protecting our SP3s. When we travel, we put them in pouch cases, which will be replaced tomorrow (as soon as the brown truck gets here) by Vangoddy El Prado bags (small), so we can carry all of our accessories.

I was considering putting a skin on mine, but I don't think it would do the job. I'm worried about putting my devices down on an unclean surface, or maybe spilling something on a table and it reaching my device.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm worried about putting my devices down on an unclean surface, or maybe spilling something on a table and it reaching my device.
I know what you mean. I was traveling back to the states from Canada, and was putting my stuff in a tray at the airport. I didn't look very closely when I pulled my SP3 out and put it in a tray, I only saw at the last minute that the person before me had spilled milk in the tray but hadn't said anything about it. A bit got on my type cover (grrr!), but I rescued it quickly before it spread.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I was considering putting a skin on mine, but I don't think it would do the job. I'm worried about putting my devices down on an unclean surface, or maybe spilling something on a table and it reaching my device.
This is true, which is why I got the extended warranty which includes accidental damage protection. A very good investment for a $1300 tablet.

I had a Manvex cover on my SP1, and while it did a good job, the whole rig weighed a ton. And there's a lot of damage it wouldn't have protected me from. I love the light weight of my SP3 with just the skin, and if I'm going anywhere with it, I put it either in its bag, or the pouch case if I don't need my accessories.

Pierreken

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the same cover as the OP and I like it for traveling because it covers everything well and still allows me to use the touchcover.
However when I'm home I remove it because it doesn't fit into the docking station. I haven't found a good cover that is compatible with the dock. A bit of a design flaw on the dock if you ask me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo