Anyone get the Type Cover with Fingerprint ID working?

kazinova

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I just got back and busted out the new blue pen and Type Cover with fingerprint scanner that I got for my SP3. I got the pen hooked up and working, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access Windows Hello settings on the SP3.

Did anyone figure out how to get that working on their SP3?

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Did you install the SP3 specific firmware that was released today? I believe it was supposed to have updates for the new accessories.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Connect the keyboard then do a Windows update. It will then restart your computer and disconnect and reconnect.

kazinova

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
That worked, the update added in Windows Hello functionality on the password/login section of settings.

In case anyone is wondering.

kazinova

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Actually, scratch that. The Windows Hello section appeared in Sign-in Options but clicking get started does nothing right now. Maybe more updates to come?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you have to be on Windows 10 for fingerprint. Darn I still don't want to downgrade OneNote and the tablet experience on my SP3

kazinova

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I figured out how to get my fingerprint setup.

I needed to remove my PIN and then go through the PIN setup again. Something wasn't set correctly with it and it's required for fingerprint sign in.

Once I did that the fingerprint setup prompted me for my PIN and then worked like a charm.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I figured out how to get my fingerprint setup.

I needed to remove my PIN and then go through the PIN setup again. Something wasn't set correctly with it and it's required for fingerprint sign in.

Once I did that the fingerprint setup prompted me for my PIN and then worked like a charm.

How long does the recognition take? Would you call it very fast, or a slight delay? Thinking about picking one up for my SP3.

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So it's confirmed that the fingerprint reader won't work on the SP3 unless you've gone to Windows 10? Windows 10 still has so many issues on the SP3 that I had to roll back to 8 a few weeks ago and I was hoping they'd release a Windows 8.1 driver for the keyboard/fingerprint scanner. It sounds like it needs Windows 10 and Windows Hello to work however. Is this the experience of others too?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
So it's confirmed that the fingerprint reader won't work on the SP3 unless you've gone to Windows 10? Windows 10 still has so many issues on the SP3 that I had to roll back to 8 a few weeks ago and I was hoping they'd release a Windows 8.1 driver for the keyboard/fingerprint scanner. It sounds like it needs Windows 10 and Windows Hello to work however. Is this the experience of others too?

Windows Hello was introduced in Windows 10. Why are people surprised you need an OS level thing to do this? And why do people think they'll back port it?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the fingerprint reader doesn't work on win8.1
Heck it doesn't even install driver and it says driver not found in device manager. Come on Microsoft, when you say it's compatible with SP3, make sure that all features are compatible

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the fingerprint reader doesn't work on win8.1
Heck it doesn't even install driver and it says driver not found in device manager. Come on Microsoft, when you say it's compatible with SP3, make sure that all features are compatible

100% compatible with SP3. Not 100% compatible with Windows 8.1. Windows Hello is an OS deep change that happened with 10.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone using the new type cover with Surface Pro 3 on the dock? I've heard it can't do slant position on the SP3 dock.

I have noticed with the type cover 4 it doesn't line up correctly when having the keyboard in the upright position when docking it. Once you dock it thou, you can put it the keyboard in the upright position instead of flat against the desk.

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
If it's 100% compatible with SP3 and SP3 shipped with Windows 8x then that means that there should be drivers and there's not so it is NOT 100% compatible with the hardware - as shipped - until those are provided. That said, what they should do, since the packaging says SP3 compatible, is either make Windows 8x drivers and an app to support fingerprint authentication as other vendors have done) or put a "requires Windows 10" sticker on the box. That would be the most forthcoming thing to do.

I know it's splitting hairs, but not calling it out is a bit misleading and disingenuous.

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
It does not line up 100% correctly, that is true. You can't completely close the cover when it's in the dock and you can't easily put it in the slant position while in the dock. I've also found that even when not in the dock it falls out of slant mode easier than the SP3 type cover did. I suspect all of this is why the new dock is a totally different design. I can't figure out why the new dock costs so much when it's so much more simplistic than the old dock.

dcoffing

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
It is well worth the upgrade vs the SP3 keyboard. And yes the fingerprint recognition is VERY fast. You don't swipe, you just lightly place your finger on the sensor and it doesn't matter what direction your finger is on it but it recognizes it. It was a little confusing when setting up the finger print because it needs to read your print about 5 times but once you get through that it is nice.

-

I hear your frustration but Microsoft didn't say its compatible with SP3 AND Windows 8, the only thing Microsoft said is it is compatible with SP3 which it is. You are indeed splitting hairs my friend. :) If it is any consolation I have a SurfacePro1 running Windows 10 and the new keyboard functions fine with it but not the fingerprint scanner even though I watched it download the necessary fingerprint drivers.

-

Just curious, how does Windows10 downgrade OneNote and the tablet experience on the SP3. I am using the same OneNote desktop program and I am not aware that if limited it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If it's 100% compatible with SP3 and SP3 shipped with Windows 8x then that means that there should be drivers and there's not so it is NOT 100% compatible with the hardware - as shipped - until those are provided. That said, what they should do, since the packaging says SP3 compatible, is either make Windows 8x drivers and an app to support fingerprint authentication as other vendors have done) or put a "requires Windows 10" sticker on the box. That would be the most forthcoming thing to do.

I know it's splitting hairs, but not calling it out is a bit misleading and disingenuous.

It is 100% compatible with the SP3.

The hardware will work if you have the right software. That's how it works. But it is 100% compatible with the hardware. Whether or not you keep arguing it is irrelevant. You're wrong. Windows 8 shipped with it, yes, but Windows Hello is an OS deep feature that won't get back ported. Hardware can support it, though. There is nothing in the hardware that makes any of the features no work.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The finger print scanner should work with the SP1 if on Windows 10, it's a Windows 10 feature that is not exclusive to the SP3 or 4, the only downside is the keyboard is too big for the SP1 when folding it up :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss