Anyone get the Surface Pen 4 to use on Surface Pro 3?

slyfoxcl

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I heared the Surface Pen 4 is compatible on Surface Pro 3 but, Someone already has?
Feels much better than Surface Pen 3? Aaand Can attach on Surface with magnetic side? I do not want to buy it if not worth it. :winktongue:
I will be grateful for your reply :D

kazinova

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
The magnet is better than the SP3 pen, but it doesn't attach o the side of the SP3 as strongly as it does the SP4. The tips are so much better than the SP3 pen, I think it feels better on the screen. The eraser is clutch though. I love how it really feels like an eraser on the screen.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I got mine the other day. So far... I LIKE IT!

I went through each of the nibs to see which one I liked the most. Right now the default one (HB) is what I'm liking the most. One thing, if you've got any experience with real drafting pencils, and know how each of the hardness in real life, you will notice that the nibs really don't match. I was really looking forward to the B hardness, as it's actually my real life personal favorite. But the B nib isn't even close to a real B lead pencil.

I am really enjoying the flip to eraser. It's much more natural for me. With the old pen, I was always having to stop, rotate the pen in hand to find the eraser button, click then erase. Now I just flip, wipe, flip back, write. Also with the flat all along the side of the pen, I naturally, without thought, hold the pen with my index finger on the flat, with corresponds to the select button.

The magnet on the pen with the SP3... meh... There isn't enough magnetic material around the edges of the SP3 to properly secure the pen. There is the volume rocker on the left side, but it only will line up with one side of the pen, so the other end flops around. The same with charge port on the right side. There isn't anything at the top for the magnet to attracted to. The bottom (keyboard connector side), same issue with the sides. So in summary, with the SP3 you keep the pen loop to secure the pen.

Summary: So was it worth the $$? For me, yes. I use the pen quite a bit for handwritten notes in OneNote. It has improved the legibility of my handwriting over the old pen. I just wish the nibs were closer to the real thing for friction, but it is a nice improvement over the old pen. The eraser on the end, definite improvement. The securing magnets on the SP3 just doesn't work, but it's not the pens fault, the SP3 just doesn't have enough internal magnets to make it work.

BTW, I'm still running W8.1 and the pen works just fine with the SP3.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I got mine the other day. So far... I LIKE IT!

I went through each of the nibs to see which one I liked the most. Right now the default one (HB) is what I'm liking the most. One thing, if you've got any experience with real drafting pencils, and know how each of the hardness in real life, you will notice that the nibs really don't match. I was really looking forward to the B hardness, as it's actually my real life personal favorite. But the B nib isn't even close to a real B lead pencil.

I am really enjoying the flip to eraser. It's much more natural for me. With the old pen, I was always having to stop, rotate the pen in hand to find the eraser button, click then erase. Now I just flip, wipe, flip back, write. Also with the flat all along the side of the pen, I naturally, without thought, hold the pen with my index finger on the flat, with corresponds to the select button.

The magnet on the pen with the SP3... meh... There isn't enough magnetic material around the edges of the SP3 to properly secure the pen. There is the volume rocker on the left side, but it only will line up with one side of the pen, so the other end flops around. The same with charge port on the right side. There isn't anything at the top for the magnet to attracted to. The bottom (keyboard connector side), same issue with the sides. So in summary, with the SP3 you keep the pen loop to secure the pen.

Summary: So was it worth the $$? For me, yes. I use the pen quite a bit for handwritten notes in OneNote. It has improved the legibility of my handwriting over the old pen. I just wish the nibs were closer to the real thing for friction, but it is a nice improvement over the old pen. The eraser on the end, definite improvement. The securing magnets on the SP3 just doesn't work, but it's not the pens fault, the SP3 just doesn't have enough internal magnets to make it work.

BTW, I'm still running W8.1 and the pen works just fine with the SP3.

I concur. It works perfectly. I'm running Windows 10. The pen does secure fairly decently on the right side where the power cord attaches. For me that's not a big deal. I don't use the pen loop and the sleeve I use has a place to put the pen that doesn't interfere.

I use the high friction tip, which, for me, seems to be the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad