SP3 pen problems in OneNote 2013 Windows 10

rwillis352

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
All:

I have noticed that after upgrading to windows 10 when it first came out, I experienced a lot of problems with the pen and OneNote 2013. The most notable one was finally fixed last month or early this month (I don't remember) and it was the problem with right clicking using touch after using the pen. It's awesome that it was fixed, but the problem I still have seems to be even more annoying.

I use OneNote 2013 to take notes in all of my classes. I use the pen to draw different structures in chemistry, diagrams of cytoplasm membranes in cell biochem, DNA strands in genetics, etc. What happens daily is this: when trying to draw a straight line (or even while just writing text), it suddenly looks like the output of an EKG! The straight line has several long, jagged "dips" in it. I erase it and try again, same problem happens. Sometimes I can move the screen around with my finger and then it will work, other times it continues. I can be in the middle of writing a word and all of a sudden a long, jagged line appears from the word and extends a couple inches below. It's as if the Surface is having trouble recognizing the pen's exact location. I have replaced the batteries in the pen already and that had little effect. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?? I have a couple screen shots I took so hopefully that will help better explain it. I have searched for quite some time to see if others are experiencing this but I have not had any luck. Please help!

Screenshot (12).jpg

Here you can see that I was trying to draw a second straight blue line directly next to the first one. All of the jagged parts of that line were created on their own as the pen was moving smoothly along.

Screenshot (2).jpg

Here you can see my attempt to write something that begins with the letter "d" and then long jagged lines appear randomly.

Screenshot (3).jpg

Finally, here you can see where was able to finish writing the word "disaccharides" but then was having trouble underlining the word "monosaccharides".

These things are driving me nuts and almost making the tablet unusable for note taking. I hope that someone else out there is experiencing this problem and has a solution.

Thanks!!

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Your not alone!I'm also having the problem where the pen, but instead of the pen going haywire it just gives up and stops writing after about 10 minutes, which is annoying when trying to write and draw graphs in lectures...

Drayk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your not alone!I'm also having the problem where the pen, but instead of the pen going haywire it just gives up and stops writing after about 10 minutes, which is annoying when trying to write and draw graphs in lectures...

I also have a problem with my pen just stops working. A bigger problem I'm having is: when I double click the "erasure" end of the pen to send a screen shop to OneNote 2016, it sends the screen shot to the OneNote app, instead of OneNote 2016. If anyone knows a work around, or how to program my SP3 to send a screen shot to OneNote 2016 your input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance...:cool:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I also have a problem with my pen just stops working. A bigger problem I'm having is: when I double click the "erasure" end of the pen to send a screen shop to OneNote 2016, it sends the screen shot to the OneNote app, instead of OneNote 2016. If anyone knows a work around, or how to program my SP3 to send a screen shot to OneNote 2016 your input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance...:cool:

Go get the "Surface" app from the store. Within, you can set what the eraser button will open, either Outlook app, or Outlook program.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
As for the pen going "stupid". You have several options.
1. Go into the device manager from the control panel, and expand the "Human Interface Devices" and start uninstalling the appropriate drivers, reboot, and let the system re-install the drivers. But this is a pain because a good many of them have generic names.
2. Do a system refresh (keep your data). Data backup recommended.
3. Do a system reset (wipe everything back to factory fresh), Data backup required.
4. Do a fresh install of W10 from USB. Data backup required.
5. Go back to W8.1 from USB. Data backup required.

If those don't work, you might have faulty hardware, then might be able to exchange for a new/referb SP3 (hope you paid for the extended support).

Personally, I've gone back to W8.1. Compared to W10, W8.1 is ROCK SOLID with the least amount of bugs and issues. But that's just me.

rwillis352

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
thank you for the suggestions!! I will try to system refresh first. I'm hoping that will effectively re-install the drivers. I would love to go back to 8.1 (especially since this device was made for it!) but I am too lazy to have to restore all of my data. Is there an easy option to back up and restore my data from Win 10 if I go back to 8.1?

Drayk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go get the "Surface" app from the store. Within, you can set what the eraser button will open, either Outlook app, or Outlook program.
I have the surface app, it's baked into Win 10. The only pen settings I can find in it are for pressure sensitivity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes