I have a Surface pro 3 and the critical error appeared some months ago. None of the suggested fixes in the forums worked and I had to reinstall windows, applied all the patches and reinstall all my additional software to get rid of the problem.

Now some weeks later the critical error has re-appeared. The Microsoft Internet Explorer short cut has also disappeared (thank goodness I have Firefox installed).
    Cortana does not work, all the icons on the right hand side of the task bar do not work (clicking on them, nothing happens)
    I cannot find the control panel.

This is very frustrating and I do not want to reinstall windows yet again. I am now regretting my decision to stick with Microsoft.
    12-20-2015 03:42 PM
    Please join and provide the following info:

1) Does this occur after you install a certain programme?
    2) Anything shown in the event viewer at the time when this occurs? (accessible via Winkey+X -> Event viewer from the list)
    3) Have you tried a system restore - not a factory reset but using the system restore utility?. (Winkey+X -> System -> System Protection -> System Restore)
    12-20-2015 04:52 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions
    1) I installed several programmes and the surface pro worked fine for a few weeks. Also one or two Microsoft patches installed automatically after I loaded the additional programmes.
    2) There are several entries in the event viewer but I do not have enough knowledge to understand them.
    3) System restore button is greyed out so cannot activate system restore.
    12-21-2015 06:04 PM