Surface Pro 3 has internet, but Store always says check connection?

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 has internet, but Store always says "check connection"

I have never been able to connect to the play store to download apps on my surface pro 3, it came with windows 10 preinstalled. I'm getting the error code above and a note saying to check my connection and reload the page. My connection is fine, I can surf the internet, just can't get to the store!

Does anyone have answers to this?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Surface Pro 3 has internet, but Store always says "check connection"

I'm sure you mean the Windows App Store since Play is for Android...

I can't find anything related to Store and this error code in a web search. Most often this type of issue is a Microsoft Account sync error.

Do other cloud services attached to the account work? Outlook Mail App, Calendar, People, OneDrive, etc...?

Do you sign onto the system with a Microsoft Account or a local account?

Try Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time. Is the date and time correct? Look at Region & Language. Do they match where you are physically located?

In Date & Time, deselect "Set time automatically." Manually set the time back a month or so. Reboot. Enter the settings and manually input the correct date and time.

Try the Store. Succeed or fail, set the date and time back on "auto" before you forget.

Do you have any Data restrictions for a metered connection? Try disabling that temporarily...

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

Sorry yes its the Windows Store I believe. Its the shopping bag icon. I checked the regional settings and all of that is correct.

Along with the error code it says to check my connection and refresh the page. Of course I'm connected or I wouldn't be here! I don't get it. Is there a permission that I may have inadvertently turned off? I've had this problem for awhile and its driving me nuts!

Sorry forgot to answer the rest of your questions. Yes I'm signed into my Microsoft account, no I'm not on a metered connection. I use Thunderbird for my mail and don't use the calendar, I use Google's calendar.

I'll try resetting the time like you suggested above and will get back to you.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

Tried resetting the date to last month and restarted... no change. So I set it to the correct time... no change. Still can't connect to the Store. Same error code.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

OK... Let's try toggling Windows Update Service off then back on in Powershell. Windows Store not working ? have you tried turning it off and on? ? Iris Classon

Type "Powershell" (no quotes) in your search box on taskbar > right click the desktop app result and "Run as administrator."

Run the following commands:

net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv

If that doesn't resolve the issue we can try another tactic.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

OK what do I do with the log? I did the verifyonly scan. I have a notepad log but not sure if its something I can upload here or not.

I noticed on the link you left me that there is a Restore Health you can run. This tablet I recently got over Christmas and haven't used it much so not sure what to do at this point. I don't have a disk to restore the system if something happens. I have a Surface Pro 3, there isn't a place to insert a disk anyway. The scan found integrity violations and the log is long with nothing that really pops out saying 'Here's your problems..."

Let me know what you think I should do. I've got to do something else before it gets too late but I'll keep checking back here. I'll be up for a few more hours.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

What was the final advice from SFC?

When you have finished it will say one of three things

Windows did not find any integrity violations (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them (not a good thing) If you get this message run DISM as described below

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

It said it found integrity violations. Sorry I edited my post above probably after you posted this. I ran the verify only scan so it didn't try to fix anything. Should I rerun to fix? Or run the DISM?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Let me know what you think I should do. I've got to do something else before it gets too late but I'll keep checking back here. I'll be up for a few more hours.

Run the DISM "Restore Health" command. Hopefully it will run automagically.

If it does not...

You may want to start again tomorrow. Install Virtual CloneDrive from Elaborate Bytes: https://www.elby.ch/products/vcd.html

This will create any number of virtual DVD drives on your system (I use only one, but you could go crazy and have multiples if you like). Give that drive a letter like D: or F: or whatever is convenient. One that is currently unused by a system device. It will auto assign the next open letter, but you could customize.

Then you need to download an ISO which matches the exact build you are running. You can check that by typing "winver" in search and clicking on run command. If you are not on Insider you should be at 10586.122.

Download the media creation tool: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=hF_v1Tod... Run the tool and use the "Upgrade this PC now" option. That should match your build. Don't use "Create installation media for another PC" as that gets you 10586.00. You need a match to your build.

When the ISO is ready, right click on the Disc Image and mount it in Virtual CloneDrive.

Now you have the drive to tell DISM to Restore Health from.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

It said it completed successfully. Store still won't open. It also said to re-run SFC scannow just to make sure it corrected everything. After that I'll restart and see if it works. Then come back here to let you know.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

Oh good grief! I ran Restore Health several times as well as SFC /Verifyonly after each... It still doesn't work! BUT also each time I run the SFC I'm told there are integrity violations! BUT that's different than corrupt files right? I still can't connect to the Store. Its the same error message I uploaded here earlier. I'm going to have to sleep now. Thanks for your help, I'll check back tomorrow.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

I still can't connect to the store. Is there anything I could have turned off inadvertently that would stop me from connecting to the store?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm out of ideas, quite frankly.

I'll put out a call through some channels and see if anyone else can jump in.

livingny

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

This really is a huge problem. This is my tablet and I can't install and run a lot of my programs because I can't connect to the Store. I travel a lot so I wanted to have something smaller and not shove my laptop in a bag. I've been doing that and its taking its toll on my laptop. BUT now I can't always do what I need to do on my Surface Pro 3, which is supposed to be like using a laptop only you have to download apps instead of installing programs... This is still new for me as well as Windows 10 and the whole app thing I think of phones but I guess tablets work the same way. I did install my musicnotes player from the site at first it tried to get me to do it through the Store but I found a link and downloaded and installed. Thinking I did pretty good... but it won't work... ugh I use that program to learn new music and it won't work. I really don't want to add the weight of my laptop to my luggage again... I really hope someone can help me on this without actually doing a restore and losing all the things I've loaded on here. Some I won't be able to reinstall ...ugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo