SP4 keyboard with SP3 (stops functioning)

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Lately I've been getting some consistent keyboard issues. The keyboard will randomly stop working. I usually have to close the keyboard, then open it again. On occasion, only a reset seems to work. Anyone have this issue? It's terribly unproductive having reset or close the device every 10 min or so.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Win10. I do all the software updates it prompts me to. But it seems like the problem is getting worse over time.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in?

Yup. I'm just in the middle now of updating my Surface again. MS push a new update today. Here's hoping it fixes whatever bug it is.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by pgg101
Win10. I do all the software updates it prompts me to. But it seems like the problem is getting worse over time.

Are you on production builds or insider? I'm using insider/redstone and often find my SP3 keyboard has problems. Not on the latest production builds.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Production build. I'm not an insider. However, the good news is that yesterday's update seems to have done the trick. I used it for over an hour without any keyboard issues.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same symptoms with my SP3 & SP4 keyboard (inc. fingerprint reader), sometimes fixed by closing and re-opening the keyboard, sometimes by sleeping and waking with the power button and sometimes by a full restart. My Surface has all updates and is currently running the latest insider preview BUT the problems existing on the production build as well.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup me also sp3 with sp4 fingerprint reader doesnt work sometimes. I just unplug and and the reattach the keyboard, which is annoying

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Sadly after sometime with the latest update, the problem has come back again today with vengeance. This device is useless if I have to reboot evert few minutes. Urgh!

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sadly after sometime with the latest update, the problem has come back again today with vengeance. This device is useless if I have to reboot evert few minutes. Urgh!

This kind of thing really annoys me. The whole appeal of a Surface device is the productivity and convenience and it's the 'little' things like this that ruin the experience. It's particularly annoying when the devices are all first party (Microsoft controls the devices, the firmware, the drivers & the OS), and when you see things like the Surface labs tour where the teams gush about quality and passion and getting the minute details right.

I still have problems with both the keyboard and fingerprint scanner not working at times, and the way my SP3 goes to and wakes from sleep (always a gamble whether it will sleep/wake or not and how long it will take).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos