Had it with the Surface Pen

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I know that there have been some improvements from the Surface 3 pen to the Surface 4 pen, but I am definitely sick of my Surface 3 Pen. I was skeptical with the transition to N-trig from Wacom and have used it for over a year now. I do think that it tends to perform better at the edges of the screen, but overall I am just tired of it.

While its fewer pressure points don't matter a lot for my day to day use, the different driver required for legacy software like Photoshop means you can't have pressure sensitivity in older software and get your wacom cintiq to work at the same time. I would assume that this is the same for the intuos.

The battery on mine just died and I don't really have a lot of extra AAAA batteries lying around, so now I have to basically buy a pack of batteries for $5.

The pen nib also broke today and that means buying a replacement back of 3 nibs or waiting on customer support to see if Microsoft will gift them to me. Anyway, they are $15 on Amazon for 3 compared to a normal 5 pack of pen nibs for $5--assuming you burn through all the extra nibs they give you with every pen you buy a normal pen.

I would complain about the price of a replacement pen, but at least it is still cheaper than a pencil.

There is no where to store the pen when not in use (that sticker falls off with minimal use) and the button arrangement is just so bad and not easily customizable (without some hacks of the registry as far as I am aware).

If you enjoy your N-trig pen, that is fine; but I do not enjoy mine. I am kind of disgruntled because a little over a year after using it, I have to pay half the price of a new pen to keep using the same pen.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Your complaining about buying batteries, I would hate to think what would happen when the remote to your TV batteries die. AAAA batteries are available pretty much everywhere.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I switched to the SP4 pen and couldn't be happier. I had issues with connectivity and battery drain. MS store in Tysons couldn't be any more helpful with the swap.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
When I bought the SP4 pen to use with my SP3, it came with several replacement tips. I haven't needed any of them, but I've got them when I do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes