After applying the latest drivers and firmware up date to my Surface Pro 3, the SD card reader has now gone! I have re-installed the Surface pro 3 image and it is still missing. No matter what SD card I insert, the driver does not show. USB port works great and the SD cards will work fine in a SD reader plugged into the USB port - just not in the SD card reader slot.

I don't think it is a hardware issue although that is always possible. The port disappeared after the update and going back did not fix. I noticed that the BIOS does now have the ability to turn on and off the SD card port, but changing it did not seem to affect the being able to see the card.

Is there any way to go back to a previous firmware? I suspect the latest is the one that killed/disabled the port...
    01-01-2017 12:39 PM
    Unfortunately there is no way to go backwards on firmware versions with the SP3 (been there, tried it).
    01-02-2017 09:00 AM
    Thanks - good to know. It is very frustrating with Microsoft's support on the Surface Pro 3. It's their hardware but they can't seem to figure how to make it work correctly. And the Surface is so hard to repair too. I love the screen size and resolution but I may have to re-think how important that is compared to a device that works the way it is suppose to.

It seems to only solution is to wait and HOPE that Microsoft comes out with a fix. I guess for now I will get a low profile flash drive and keep it plugged in to the Surface.
    01-02-2017 09:24 AM