Updates fail on SP3

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just figured out that my cumulative updates have been failing since November 2016. I am already on W10. The updates download and go through the install process, but right at the end it says something like "Updates could not be completed" and it reboots as if nothing happened. It did install the firmware update last night, but none of the cumulative updates go through. I can look in my update history and there are three different ones that have been failing since November.

Any advice?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Tried that and they still failed. Well I only tried the oldest one, and that failed. I assume that I need to do them sequentially, is that correct? I can't remember the numbers of the updates and I don't have my SP3 with me, but it was 3 updates that have failed.

And to clarify on the message I got previously using the automatic update method. It said,"We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." The manual method mentioned above just spent about 30 minutes with a scrolling bar I think saying upacking update to cache, and then returned a message saying the update couldn't be installed.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Tried that and they still failed. Well I only tried the oldest one, and that failed. I assume that I need to do them sequentially, is that correct? I can't remember the numbers of the updates and I don't have my SP3 with me, but it was 3 updates that have failed.

And to clarify on the message I got previously using the automatic update method. It said,"We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." The manual method mentioned above just spent about 30 minutes with a scrolling bar I think saying upacking update to cache, and then returned a message saying the update couldn't be installed.

First; check to see that you have enough free disk space to accept the size of the update(s).

Then:
Go into the Update History, and check to see what has NOT installed "Successfully"; make a note of the number(s)

ie:
KB3213986: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (available on 1/10/2017)
KB3211320: Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (available on 1/24/2017)

Then:
I would try KB3213986, first (if not already installed successfully);

If it fails, Then:
try KB3211320

Good Luck!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have about 74GB free.

I have three updates that were not successfully installed: KB3201845, KB3213986 and KB3216755.

I have downloaded all three from the Catalog site. I have tried manually installing each one first and they all fail. The last time I tried to let it do it automatically I did get an error message, Error 0x80070013, and it also mentions an Intel Corporation Display update, 20.19.15.4568 that wasn't installed, and error 0x80080008.

Really hoping to not have to wipe it and reinstall Windows, but I fear it is getting close to that.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Try a two button shut-down:
Shut down the Surface Pro3 normally, using the power button.
Then, when it’s off, press the power button and the volume-up buttons at the same time, for at least 15 seconds. (You may see the screen or the lighting on Type Cover -if attached- flicker, but keep holding the buttons).
Release the buttons, and let the machine sit for at least 10 seconds. Then, turn it back on normally.

This will give you a clean re-boot, and has in the past, solved some nagging issues.

FYI: I have been having trouble with some updates myself; the last one (insider build 15025) took 4 tries for it to take.

Also: you should be able to contact Microsoft Tech Support and tell them of your "Update" issue, they should be able to help you - just keep in mind that the first page of their cheat sheet, seems to read "reinstall Windows"...I would ask them to at least "TRY" and correct the issue first!; then, and only then, consider a clean install.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Have tried the clean boot method with no luck. Part of me is wondering if I should try to switch to the fast ring and see if that works.

I have to find some time to sit down and try to get to the bottom of this with Microsoft support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire