My Surface Pro 3 no longer charges. Light on power connector is not lit

Donald Simard

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
When I connect the power cable to my Surface Pro 3, the light on the magnetic bar does not light. I have done this with two adapters AND visited the Microsoft Store nearby and they declared it dead. it is out of warranty and the only option they provided was buying another SP3 for $600 - not a good value in my eyes.

any ideas how to resurrect this or is it hopeless

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you've done this (it worked for me), blow out the connector slot on the SP3 with compressed air. I was having the same issue. I have a shop compressor and turned it up to full and then blew out the slot. It started charging.

The magnets around the slot do a really good job of picking up any type of metal dust which will inhibit a proper connection.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing a similar problem. Sometimes if I unplug the adapter and plug it back in I can get the light to turn on it will start to charge but even if I leave it alone it seems like it eventually turn off after while and it won't charge anymore. If I bump the charge cable it will actually shutdown the tablet even if it has a good charge.

I was thinking of taking my tablet to best buy and seeing if I experience the same problem using one of the surface pro 4 adapters since I hear they are the same exact plug.

Bazza2

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
I have this problem with three Microsoft chagers, but can use a PowerAdd 12 v charger. I have tried differnte power pint sin two countries, and have tried a PC World charger which works for their display SP.

I believe the issue is that the Microsoft chargers are doing more than simple charging and require some form of "handshake" to activate them.

The only unusual circumstance has been that my son discharged the SP3 battery - all charger problems started since then, including refusal to acknowledge a conected charger as well as to charge.

I have even gone back to a complete Reset to try and clear the problem.

I am reluctant to retun the device, until I have a reliable back up.

Any experiences to share would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05