Will iPad Pro disrupt the Surface market?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
rhap if you would be so kind as to ship some of those "meds" to my home.. Hehe...

You don't want them. Trust me. This morning I went to get a carton of eggs out to make an omelet from 2 of them. I dropped the carton before I got to the counter, and still don't remember letting go of the carton. I don't know what happened, other than we ended up having them scrambled, and a lot more eggs were scrambled than I had planned on cooking. At least the carton stayed closed, so the mess was easily transferred to a pan for cooking. ;)

Feeling a little better today.

Okay, one last round with this. I know some of you think iPad Pro will hurt Surface sales. While I think it will hurt Windows Tablet sales over all, I don't think it will hurt Surface, as people see the Surface as more of a competitor with a MacBook than an iPad. It's really more of an ultralight 2-in-1, and people who just want a tablet shop for tablets. People wanting a Surface are ones that need a small PC, not a tablet. Tablet convenience with it is nice and all, and it's really great for students who need a laptop, but want a lighter backpack and more room for books. Professionals also look to the surface to get things done.

If someone is considering a tablet, they want something lightweight with minimal computer capabilities, and something inexpensive. People who want the Surface aren't looking for a tablet, they are looking for a thin, lightweight PC. Sure, there are a few tablet shoppers that get the surface, but because they get converted by realizing they can do more than they thought possible.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that it will have much effect on sales of the Surface.

The people who is going to buy the Surface usually have their minds set.

There probably aren't too many grandma(s) walking into BestBuy with $800+, not knowing what to buy, and walking out with a Surface Pro 3 anyhow.

If anything, the "iPad Pro" will affect the sales of the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I doubt that it will have much effect on sales of the Surface.

The people who is going to buy the Surface usually have their minds set.
You would be surprised at how many iPad owners have "looked over the fence" at the Surface and waiting to see what if anything Apple does... and if Apple doesn't, they're ready to make the move to a Surface.

With every iteration of the Surface, Microsoft is erasing the history of their botched Surface launch. I push my Surface 2 to the limits and those who see what I'm doing with it are impressed... and when I tell them that the x86-based Surface devices can do far more, it gets their attention.

There probably aren't too many grandma(s) walking into BestBuy with $800+, not knowing what to buy, and walking out with a Surface Pro 3 anyhow.

If anything, the "iPad Pro" will affect the sales of the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets.
I agree.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Why would they build the technology that makes the iPad stand veritcally into the keyboard? If I'm not missing something here the Surface approach of including a kickstand to the device itself is so much better.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
If you watched the Apple event, you can clearly see that the iPad will affect surface sales. One way or another
I believe that the iPad Pro may INCREASE Surface Pro sales. Apple charging $99 for their "Pencil" and $170 for their keyboard makes what Microsoft is charging for their accessories seem reasonable. ;)

The iPad Pro pricing for the device itself is also out of line. They brought nothing more than an increased size to the product line. It shouldn't cost as much as a tablet capable of being a desktop replacement.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro - Probably not.
The Surface 3 - Quite Likely.

If they took some of the spec out of the display to lower the cost, they might be able to do some damage. The lack of a dock to use full size peripherals is a limiting factor - in the end, it's still an iPad with IOS.

We use SP3's almost exclusively with Docks and ultra-wide monitors. This usually replaces 3 devices for us: a desktop, a notebook used for travel where enterprise apps and support are needed, and an iPad the user had - just 'cause.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They charge $169 for a keyboard and can't see fit to put a trackpad? Another $99 for a stylus? It may drive iPad sales and knock the doldrums out but I wouldn't worry about Surface Pro sales. The Surface RT, if it were still around, maybe.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Can't wait to hear the Apple fanboys screaming about having to pay extra for the keyboard and pen like they do with the Surfaces. Should be included, right...? Lol

This whole thing is a rip off of the surface line.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
And off topic, but still relevant to the launch, 'complications' on the watch? Are they ******* serious?!

Edit: Then again, it isn't that difficult to confuse the iCultists lol

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Do you know that Apple could charge $1000 and those so called tech-savvy "journalists" and iWashed would still say that it is reasonable. From what I've been reading since the event, no one has complained about the pen, oh no it is Apple Pencil and the keyboard. Some sites even dare to predict that iPad Pro will be a better product. Yet even before the Surface 3 and Pro 3was released, many had already managed to moan about the pen and the keyboard. It's just ridiculous how "retardised" our world has become. And can anyone confirm if the pen...Pencil has palm rejection technology? Because from what I've seen, it looks like you'll have to keep your hand at a distance when you are trying to be productive with this "revolutionary innovation".

Last edited:

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
And can anyone confirm if the pen...Pencil has palm rejection technology? Because from what I've seen, it looks like you'll have to keep your hand at a distance when you are trying to be productive with this "revolutionary innovation".

I believe iPad Pro should support palm rejection. It will be a big joke and shame if it does not support this must-have feature.

They even claimed the Apple Pencil is capable of dealing with even a single pixel. Well, assuming Apple's claim is true, it is market gimmick again because ordinary people cannot move their hand with precision up to 1 pixel (without magnifying the screen).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe that the iPad Pro may INCREASE Surface Pro sales. Apple charging $99 for their "Pencil" and $170 for their keyboard makes what Microsoft is charging for their accessories seem reasonable. ;)

The iPad Pro pricing for the device itself is also out of line. They brought nothing more than an increased size to the product line. It shouldn't cost as much as a tablet capable of being a desktop replacement.
Very true. I just hope people realise that the surface pro 3 is actually a way better deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb