Did they seriously just got rid of the two buttons on the pen?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't find a picture of it anywhere, but those two buttons on the side are helpful for erasing, and to "Select" a large area.

I had issues with SP2 and turning the pen around to erase something, now they brought that back for SP4. :|

If so, I may stick with SP3 Pen if hopefully will still work on SP4.

Anyone confirm this?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the eraser is now on top of the stylus (it even looks like one) and it works great! Supposedly the battery also lasts a year (based on 4 hrs/day use). Another thing is that one side of the stylus is now flat, like one of the edges of an old fashioned wooden pencil. It's pretty comfortable.
You probably already know about the replaceable points which they say give different "lead" feels, like a #2 pencil if you want or harder. And of course it comes in several colors.

And the best feature of all.... it will work with my Surface Pro 3!

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Im actually curious about the new tips. I want a rubbery tip to make it feel like pencil on paper. Current pen is too slippery. It feels odd.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
osyi, the tip(s) on the new pen are made of a different material and appeared to actually be two layered. It had none of the slippery/draggy feeling writing on the screen that the SP3 pen does. And like a drawing pencil, if I pressed hard the line was much wider and darker than if I pressed lightly. Same and even more so when I selected one of the brushes. The demo they had open was a drawing program, so finally I asked the guy if I could try regular writing in One Note and it too was much more like using a pencil or good marker pen. I was almost tempted to ask if they would also have different nibs like with an old fashioned fountain pen.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Wait im confused. I want a grippy feel so i need a tip with rubber on it. Are they all just hard plastic im different sizes?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what they are made of but each has a different feel. But what I can tell you is that you will like writing with it. It felt more natural.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Since it's compatible with the SP3.... I'm BUYING ONE with the pen tip kit (I have a feeling that the kit might be a separate purchase). I love my pen on my SP3, except for how slippery it is on the screen. My handwriting is decent with a real pencil and paper, but is illegible on the SP3 because of how slippery it is.

I did get a survey from Microsoft some time ago, which was specifically about the pen and SP3 screen. The one thing I stressed in the final comment section was that the new pen and screen needed to have more friction.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried both pens side by side last night and the new one is better. No latency that I could discern. The eraser on top is much more easier to use than the side button. The new pen has a stronger magnet and attached very nicely to the tablet as well.

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
My biggest disappointment with the new pen is the removal of the eraser button on the side.. It was very handy being able to erase without turning the pen over, and keeping the same position . This new one I can envision being a bit annoying having to waste time turning it over... Other than that I love the upgrade for the pen.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett