Why no Core m3 w/ 8GB RAM option?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Why does Microsoft refuse to offer a Core m3 with 8GB RAM? IMO, this makes more sense than a Core i5 w/ 4GB RAM ---- seriously, who's odering those specs?

I'd much rather have the slower processing time, as long as the overall experience was smooth when working --- hence the want for 8GB RAM. I've been using Dell Inspiron laptop powered by a Intel Core i3 w/8GB RAM since 2009 and I've never had a complaint with its performance.

I just don't see why anyone would want a Core i5 processor w/ only 4GB RAM. Sure you'll be able to quickly process your data....but don't plan on doing too much at once with a measly 4GB memory. You're basically limited to 1 task at a time.

Last edited:

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that Microsoft's market research probably shows that users looking for more memory are probably going to want the faster CPU. You sound like you understand and have thought through the various trade-offs more than the average user would.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have, it just irritates me because that's what I really would prefer to have --- I already pre-ordered the Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB SSD model, but it forces me to spend the extra probably $300 (assuming a Core m3 / 8GB model would go for $999) just to get 8GB RAM

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Personally would love a 8GB core M3 version. Not all Memory hungry tasks are resource intensive.

Just browsing the web with tab (keep open while researching different topics) can go over 4GB after an hour or so. But, nothing we can do, it won't happen because MS is not PC manufacturer trying to chase down every last sale..

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My vote for pointless post of the year. If you read my entire, post you'd see why I say it made more sense.

It's good to win awards. I did write a lot but decided to erase.

Your question: "Why does Microsoft refuse to offer a Core m3 with 8GB RAM?"
Probably as they don't want to annoy the other OEMS by leap frogging them. The Core M isn't the best chip and probably won't offer that much over the i5... even battery life.

Last edited:

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Does any think the m3 model will be good enough for me. I'll being using Visual studio to create applications? I can't find any m3 comparisons to the i5.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Does any think the m3 model will be good enough for me. I'll being using Visual studio to create applications? I can't find any m3 comparisons to the i5.
If you're going to be building apps in Visual Studio, I think I'd be more concerned with the fact that the m3 only comes with 4Gb of memory, rather than the CPU speed. I've never run any benchmarks, but m3/4Gb seems underpowered for a developer. Not to say it wouldn't work, but...

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to be building apps in Visual Studio, I think I'd be more concerned with the fact that the m3 only comes with 4Gb of memory, rather than the CPU speed. I've never run any benchmarks, but m3/4Gb seems underpowered for a developer. Not to say it wouldn't work, but...

Agreed. You'll want the bump to an 8GB model for dev work --- so that means 256GB SSD, Core i5 model at the minimum.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. You'll want the bump to an 8GB model for dev work --- so that means 256GB SSD, Core i5 model at the minimum.

Visual Studio 2015 System Requirements

Why wouldn't 4GB of memory be enough?

Visual Studios only seems to require 1-3 GB of memory depending on the type and Virtual Machine or not.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Visual Studios only seems to require 1-3 GB of memory depending on the type and Virtual Machine or not.

Adobe requires only 2GB for Photoshop, but if you're doing any real photo editing work, you'll want at least 8GB in order to have a smooth stutter free computing experience while working. Don't even think about having an email client, web browser and music player running at the same time without the extra memory. Same applies to application development, once you begin compiling large amounts of code with fancy interfaces, it'll eat the memory up.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

I have 16Gb, and when I was looking into running a minimal page file I was doing some memory analysis to see what my memory demand was. Nothing fancy, just using online MSDN articles and such to look at memory counters and do a little basic arithmetic. In my normal scenario with anywhere from 1-4 Visual Studio windows open, along with other usual stuff like SQL Server Management Studio, Outlook, OneNote, IE, Windows Explorer, etc. my memory usage would get up to around 5-7 Gb, sometimes higher. Then if you're developing things like phone apps (I'm not) and running emulators, etc. etc.

At my company, the standard developer configuration is 8Gb. I expect you could make do with 4Gb, but if you're investing in a new computer, you shouldn't be sizing it to "make do".

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Adobe requires only 2GB for Photoshop, but if you're doing any real photo editing work, you'll want at least 8GB in order to have a smooth stutter free computing experience while working. Don't even think about having an email client, web browser and music player running at the same time without the extra memory. Same applies to application development, once you begin compiling large amounts of code with fancy interfaces, it'll eat the memory up.

I have 16Gb, and when I was looking into running a minimal page file I was doing some memory analysis to see what my memory demand was. Nothing fancy, just using online MSDN articles and such to look at memory counters and do a little basic arithmetic. In my normal scenario with anywhere from 1-4 Visual Studio windows open, along with other usual stuff like SQL Server Management Studio, Outlook, OneNote, IE, Windows Explorer, etc. my memory usage would get up to around 5-7 Gb, sometimes higher. Then if you're developing things like phone apps (I'm not) and running emulators, etc. etc.

At my company, the standard developer configuration is 8Gb. I expect you could make do with 4Gb, but if you're investing in a new computer, you shouldn't be sizing it to "make do".

I see. They are minimum requirements but not optimal.

I also want a Surface Pro 4 but I can't decide which one.

Right now I browse the web, stream movies and music, use localhost for developing websites (before I upload them to my web host via FTP) and GIMP (when the font I want isn't available at PicMonkey.com).

Besides that, I plan to do basic photo and video editing (no plans to buy big programs like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Premiere Pro), Visual Studios and playing simple games like Candy Crush, Angry Birds and so on.

I haven't decided what software I want use for photo and video editing. Either I use apps or simpler software such as Adobe Premiere Elements, but I don't know if I will choose Adobe at all (should be simple but effective).

On top of that, I'm price sensitive. So I should at least choose the Surface Pro 4 - 256 GB / Intel Core i5 - 8GB RAM?

Sorry for stealing the topic.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
So I should at least choose the Surface Pro 4 - 256 GB / Intel Core i5 - 8GB RAM?

Sorry for stealing the topic.
You should fire up your most intensive workload, run it for a bit (open stuff, edit stuff, whatever), then use the processes and performance tabs in Task Manager, and maybe Resource Monitor to look at your memory usage. Google something like "calculating memory usage in windows 8" and you can find plenty of articles to help you understand the numbers.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
You should fire up your most intensive workload, run it for a bit (open stuff, edit stuff, whatever), then use the processes and performance tabs in Task Manager, and maybe Resource Monitor to look at your memory usage. Google something like "calculating memory usage in windows 8" and you can find plenty of articles to help you understand the numbers.

I'm using Mac, not Windows.

I don't use any photo or video editing software at this moment. Nor do I use Visual Studios.
However, I'll do it later on (or that's the plan).

All the other things I wrote, I do now.

koolkid1

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
i have a question im thinking of getting he microsoft surface pro 4 m3 model since no fan more portable since oly 4gb of ram would it be enough for me? i mainly use it for music editing and arranging on staffpad would it be too laggy or i dont need an i5?

TechZeke

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
It's not even like the core m3 even gives better battery life, and I don't even hear the fan 90% of the time on my i5/8GB/256GB model. Plus, as others have said, the vast majority of users who actually need 8GB, want a faster CPU as well. The way I see it, the i5 and extra storage can't hurt.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Originally posted by TheCudder
Why does Microsoft refuse to offer a Core m3 with 8GB RAM? IMO, this makes more sense than a Core i5 w/ 4GB RAM ---- seriously, who's odering those specs?

I'd much rather have the slower processing time, as long as the overall experience was smooth when working --- hence the want for 8GB RAM. I've been using Dell Inspiron laptop powered by a Intel Core i3 w/8GB RAM since 2009 and I've never had a complaint with its performance.

I just don't see why anyone would want a Core i5 processor w/ only 4GB RAM. Sure you'll be able to quickly process your data....but don't plan on doing too much at once with a measly 4GB memory. You're basically limited to 1 task at a time.

I agree, I'd rather have 8GB of RAM with the nice Core M3. It would be worth another hundred bucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium