Type Cover with Fingerprint ID Not Needed?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I purchased and received yesterday the fingerprint ID type cover for my vaporous Surface Pro 4 i7, but after more closely watching Panay's presentation from the 6th, he seemed to imply that this type cover was designed more for the Pro 3 device. If the camera on the Pro 4 is adequate for Windows Hello, then would the fingerprint ID ever need to be used? Wondering if I need to exchange it for the regular Pro 4 type cover.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The new covers are designed with the Pro 4 for both the 3 and 4.

Don't worry about whether it'll work better on the 3 or 4 or not, but worry instead if the markup is worth the extra functionality to you. Sure, it could be replaced by Hello I guess, but I'd prefer a fingerprint reader, but that's just me, not having tried Hello before.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The SP4 includes facial recognition in its front facing camera so you can use that to log in with Windows Hello, you don't need the fingerprint scanner. But the cover with the fingerprint scanner will still work with the SP4.

The SP3 doesn't have the facial recognition so if you want Windows Hello on an SP3 then you need the fingerprint scanner.

Sure, it could be replaced by Hello I guess, but I'd prefer a fingerprint reader, but that's just me, not having tried Hello before.

I think 'Windows Hello' is the name of the biometric solution in Windows 10, it's independent of the actual tech being used (e.g. fingerprint, facial recognition, iris scanner, etc.). So with the fingerprint scanner you will still be using Windows Hello.

Derman

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I, too, ordered the fingerprint scanner keyboard.

At a later date, do you think the fingerprint scanner could be used for log-ins? I was thinking of something similar to what Apple has going for banking and credit card apps.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
At a later date, do you think the fingerprint scanner could be used for log-ins? I was thinking of something similar to what Apple has going for banking and credit card apps.

I think that's exactly what Microsoft has planned with Windows Hello.

Robert Paulsen

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got the fingerprint scanner and used it 2x, then setup the facial recognition and haven't used it since. Everything else about the keyboard still rocks. Solo much better than previous versions.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It's redundant to have the Finger Print Reader TypeCover if you have the Surface Pro 4 as it has a built-in infrared camera that will log you in with facial recognition using Windows Hello. The Finger Print Reader Type Cover was built mostly for those Surface Pro 3 customers wanting Windows Hello support --- and/or an improved typing experience due to the new keys & glass touch pad.

Another thing to consider...using the SP4's infrared camera logs you in with Windows Hello with or without the TypeCover in tact. If you configure the finger print read you'd have to have the keyboard attached.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the camera didn't support Hello since they put the finger print reader on there.

Since the Book doesn't have one it must be there for the 3.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
As fast as the IR Camera works on the SP4 I don't see much more use for the fingerprint scanner. If apps took advantage of it for payments then maybe.

The camera logs me in a matter of 1-2 seconds.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As fast as the IR Camera works on the SP4 I don't see much more use for the fingerprint scanner. If apps took advantage of it for payments then maybe.

The camera logs me in a matter of 1-2 seconds.

Is that the recognition part or the full time to unlock? I've been curious to see it in action but they never have the store demos setup with biometrics.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If apps took advantage of it for payments then maybe.

The fingerprint scanner & facial recognition are the same in terms of app payments & other authentication. It's all 'Windows Hello' and compatible with the FIDO Alliance.

The plan with FIDO is to allow all types of auth, payments/app & website logins/etc.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Is that the recognition part or the full time to unlock? I've been curious to see it in action but they never have the store demos setup with biometrics.

It's pretty much instant. Pretty much as soon as my face gets in view of the IR camera it displays "Hello <my name>" and I'm logged in. There is no slow "scanning", "stay still", "get in better lighting" messages. You put your face in view of the IR camera and it's logs you in right away, it's some amazingly fast tech.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty much instant. Pretty much as soon as my face gets in view of the IR camera it displays "Hello <my name>" and I'm logged in. There is no slow "scanning", "stay still", "get in better lighting" messages. You put your face in view of the IR camera and it's logs you in right away, it's some amazingly fast tech.

I was actually surprised how well it works even in very dim light, and very quick. It's pretty impressive.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I was actually surprised how well it works even in very dim light, and very quick. It's pretty impressive.

Yep, the power of infrared! I'm actually black (if you didn't notice from my avy, lol) and I was able to login with facial recognition in a completely dark room at night, so there was zero ambient light.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Bought the scanner keyboard with the SP4 too. No regrets.
Facial scan works far beyond my expectations. Amazing, in fact.
But future possibilities with keyboard scanner are worth the redundancy to me.
Besides, what's $30 in the overall hefty bundle? :)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

So the downside is we don't get to see the pretty pictures on Windows Spotlight?

I have a laptop with the finger print scanner and sometimes I take a moment to admire the photo before swiping, lol.

Dan Frownfelter

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I also got the finger print type cover, mostly for two reasons, it is a bit lighter and in varying lighting conditions the camera has difficulty recognizing me. I often use the SP on a table while RV'ing and there is an extreme difference in lighting conditions. Without repeating the camera recognizing process many times, it is much easier to just touch the keyboard. On the other hand, when using the SP only as a tablet, the camera has no issues recognizing me right off the bat.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Bought the scanner keyboard with the SP4 too. No regrets.
Facial scan works far beyond my expectations. Amazing, in fact.
But future possibilities with keyboard scanner are worth the redundancy to me.
Besides, what's $30 in the overall hefty bundle? :)

They have the same future possibilities --- as they both are part of the future of Windows Hello.

So the downside is we don't get to see the pretty pictures on Windows Spotlight?

I have a laptop with the finger print scanner and sometimes I take a moment to admire the photo before swiping, lol.

If Windows Spotlight is up, it'll stay there until you swipe up :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb