Fixes for my Surface Pro 4 bugs: power, fan, heat, display driver, sound, on screen keyboard?

splendids

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my i5, 256 Gb, Surface Pro 4 on October 26. I've had the following problems:

When sleeping or plugged in, surface gets hot and fan turns on.

Power drains even when asleep.

Display driver (Windows 8) crashes frequently.

Tint of display changes (variously yellow, green or blue) and/or flickers in Microsoft Edge.

Speakers pop on various websites. Also sometimes when using onscreen keyboard (possibly conflated with website).

Edge constantly chews up CPU and Memory for each tab that is open (like 350 Mb and 2-10% of the CPU per tab of, e.g., facebook or windows central).

On screen keyboard often minimizes for no reason after I've typed in just a couple of letters.

Last edited:

brianbrain

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It is Windows 10, but when the driver crashes a window pops up and states that the Windows 8 driver crashed.

I've heard about this from multiple sources as well. Thank you for providing us your bug list for the SP4. Difficult to find without posts like this. I'm hoping that we're just an update or two away from resolving these issues, but we'll all have to see.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
All graphic card has stopped responding is the HD 520 card. That is also causing the screen issues in Edge. My Surface Book and HP Specter x360 2nd gen do the same thing. Fix right now is use IE instead of edge.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Nothing else open and mine went crazy tonight "the fan that is". I was like WTF and the back got super hot. I closed down the browser "edge" and everything went back to normal. I have the i5 8gb 256mb.

Nutmegz

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I too am having it get hot while sleeping. The thing that bugs me the most is it isn't always doing this. Only sometimes. But it is a big issue if I say go to a meeting and I have no battery left because it burned it all away sleeping.

michael4man

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I haven't run into any of those issues with my i5 256GB version, but I have noticed that there is a slight high pitched sound coming from the right side of the tablet, its not terrible but its just enough to be slightly annoying, has anyone else noticed this?

Also, I haven't heard the fan kick on even once since I got it Monday, I've done a lot on it to, lots of web browsing, 1080p videos in VLC and iTunes (this use to cause my SP3 Fan to go crazy)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

splendids

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tested exhaustively, but not opening Edge seems to have fixed the heat/fan cycling when active or asleep. I'll update if that changes.

michael4man

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
That might be why I haven't seen that issue, as soon as I got it I switch to Chrome as my default browser

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nick Jenkins

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed the high pitched sound also. I'm not sure what that could be.

As far as the heat issue while sleeping, because other people seem to be having the same issue I'm sure that MS will release an update to fix it. Until then I think I might either turn it off every time or have the power button go to hibernate instead of sleep.

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I am getting all these problems as well on my pro 4 and I feel since the update to support the windows hello camera features its been worse. It is truly a shame that all these bugs are present on such an expensive device. Here is to hoping that Microsoft is quick on addressing these issues with updates in the next few days or week following. Also I hope that threshold 2 that is rumored to be released next week will fix a lot of the windows 10 bugs.

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Battery life on my SP4 is horrendous. I'm getting like 3-4 hours of moderate use, with Bluetooth and V-sync off and even OneDrive sync disabled. Connected standby chewed up half the battery in 6 hours. I'm refreshing the PC as we speak and will report o any changes.

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the uk and was Looking at getting rid of my Mac and iPad for a pro 4 but all these problems I'm reading about is putting me off a little. From battery issues to screen flickering etc.

Why would you release a product with issues like this especially when your paying a hell of a lot of money.

Hopefully it's all sorted by the 12th November when it's out of here but bringing a product to Market we it's clearly not ready has my worried

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Battery life on my SP4 is horrendous. I'm getting like 3-4 hours of moderate use, with Bluetooth and V-sync off and even OneDrive sync disabled. Connected standby chewed up half the battery in 6 hours. I'm refreshing the PC as we speak and will report o any changes.

Please report back after the hard reset...

Moises Corilloclla

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I got the SP4 on Monday. One of the cool things about living in NYC is that the store is just stations away from where I live. But the device is not without its flaws:
1. I have experienced a few times the display driver crash, the most grave being today: I had to restart because it backtracked the resolution to 1280 x 768.
2. I noticed some pops on my headphones when watching youtube videos.
3. The cover (and pad track and keys) became unresponsive a couple of times.
4. On One Note, when writing it seems as if the pen produces a delay between my input and what appears on the screen; it is not a significant lag, but it is there, and it kinda makes my handwriting a bit flat. I do not think it is just my hangover (crazy weekend before), somehow it appears as if my handrwriting has lost its vertical volume, and in order to do that, I would have to write on close to 90 degrees perpendicular towards the screen.

I hope the next updates improve the experience. Although feels a good device, it has some stuff that needs to be ironed out.

Aegean Blue

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Same specs... exact same problems as OP; additionally enjoyed blue screen of death.. Bought thru MS online store and they are sending out a replacement ASAP. Great service but I fear that the replacement may have same issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire