07-07-2017 09:46 AM
46 12
tools
    Same exact issue everyone is having. It took me a while to find this article.

I just switched out my docking station with Microsoft for a new one. This of course is after Microsoft tech support not being aware of any issues and the person at the MS Store, also not being aware. I had to show a video of the screen flickering.

Crazy thing is it does work for a while (when you are lucky) however after you leave the machine for 15-25 minutes, when you come back you'll spend an hour trying to get it working again. Many times I get lucky, today however I'm stuck with only one of two monitors physically connected to get one to work.

Unfortunately not sure what to do now. Microsoft continues to ignore this. Do I get rid of the Surface Book and docking station? I've had it for a little bit now, but I cannot imagine Microsoft could make a case I need to stay with it...no docking station options.

Do I use some sort of HDMI splitter and use only one port?

If I do dump the SB, what else is out there in the market I should consider?
    02-29-2016 10:37 AM
    The latest firmware seems to have solved my users' issues with multiple displays. They're using active MDP -> HDMI adapters, and MS docking station. One issue is that they sometimes will not come back from being powered down (display set to turn off after 20 mins - sleep disabled while plugged in). The solution there is:

Set monitors to never power off while plugged in. Then set Screen Saver to "Blank" for 20 mins (or whatever you had set for monitors before). The screens won't shut off, but the display will blank out - you can even tell the screen saver to ask for a password when it "wakes up", for security.

So far it's solving my users' issues.
    02-29-2016 04:23 PM
    I think you might referring to another issue. Currently I have one of two monitors enabled. If I try to connect the second monitor to the docking station the system will constantly flash back and forth. It used to be better before the firmware. I used to be able to use it for long periods, but as soon as the system went to screen saver sleep, or sleep sleep, it would take me 15 minutes of disconnecting, restarting and repowering to get it to work again.

Now I am stuck with only one monitor.
    03-09-2016 03:57 PM
    If you're on the latest firmware and having issues with dual monitors on the docking station, try plugging one monitor into the docking station and the other one directly into the SP4. That worked for one of my users.
    03-10-2016 04:57 PM
    Your idea sounds good except the dang SB dock connector is so large, most folks can't get a mDP connector in with the dock also plugged in, no matter how hard you try.

This doc is a huge p.o.c. So disappointed here.
    03-11-2016 06:00 PM
    Just try disconnecting and reconnecting the magnetic connector of the dock. (Just be sure you properly disconnect any USB hard drives you've written to.)
    03-11-2016 06:07 PM
    I think you might referring to another issue. Currently I have one of two monitors enabled. If I try to connect the second monitor to the docking station the system will constantly flash back and forth. It used to be better before the firmware. I used to be able to use it for long periods, but as soon as the system went to screen saver sleep, or sleep sleep, it would take me 15 minutes of disconnecting, restarting and repowering to get it to work again.

Now I am stuck with only one monitor.
    I have the same problem. I wonder if they fix all the Surface problems before new version is released or they will just give up
    03-13-2016 05:10 PM
    My Surface Pro 4, i5 8 gb RAM, has issues in the dock as well. I am using the Surface 3 dock, with the adapter plate.

Sometime the ethernet isn't recognized, sometimes the external monitor doesn't fire up. And maybe once every couple of days the Surface will not wake from sleep. Keyboard lights up, but nobody's home.

I am on the latest firmware, about 3 weeks ago I did a clean install of Windows 10. Still issues. Not sure if I want to escalate this to MS, as it seems these issues aren't isolated to me. I have been asked to buy 4 Surfaces for work, and at this point I am afraid of pulling the trigger. As an IT guy, I can work through the issues, but giving this out to other folks? I'm still not convinced this device is out of beta yet.
    03-24-2016 08:25 AM
    There is an article out that says the port on the surface will work with pass through adapt3rs, but for it to work on the dock you need to purchase and use active adapters. They sell them on amazon for less than 10 bucks ea.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    03-25-2016 06:45 AM
    Just ordered the active adapters. Was using an apple adapter, not sure if it was active or not.
    03-26-2016 06:55 PM
    Was having issues, but Dec driver fixed most of the flickering. Using I7 SP4 with dock to dual 1080 Dell U2414H's. Sometimes monitors wouldn't wake up so fixed that by turning sleep "off" while plugged in. After latest updates, full reinstall, fix of image with DISM and fix of core files with SFC I'm running near perfect. Dock and undock successfully. Even the scaling coming back to plugged in returns as it should about 90% of the time. It's almost like a completely different machine. But mind you I have the I7. However the dock and the SP4 were purchased at release back in Nov 15, so nothing has been traded in or exchanged.
    03-27-2016 01:20 AM
    I've been struggling also with a Surface Book and two HD (1920x1080) HDMI monitors. I got the recommended Active cables, and what happens is I can typically get two screens working, but not all three. With all three, I will typically get a bunch of flashing as the Surface tries to figure out the configuration.

Here is what fixed it for me. I could tell the surface knew I had three monitors because when I plugged them in and out, it labelled them as 1, 2, and 3. So I ended up playing with the Duplication vs. Extending, and was able to get it to finally show all three in the control panel, once they were aligned properly, hit apply, and it worked.

And don't let the screens go off. Change this setting under power to never go off on power. Once they go off, the process starts all over again.
    03-30-2016 04:08 PM
    Hello:

I have a MS SP4 with 16GB memory and 1TB SSD and a port replicator (actually two, but more about that later).

I take my SP4 back and forth from office to home and back again every day. That's why I have two port replicators. At the office I have two 24" monitors, one newer Samsung and an older one I don't recall at the moment. Anyway, that setup works perfectly. When I leave in the AM I unhook my SP4, without turning it off, putting in sleep more, etc., etc., and take it to the office, plug it back in, wiggle the mouse, and voila! All is right with the world. BTW, the keyboard cover remains on and closed.

At home I bought a brand new pair of Dell P27115Q 27" 4K monitors, and hooked them up to the second port replicator. Took 3 hours to get working, and only when I turned off the DP4 screen, and plugged one of the Dells into the mini DP on the SP4. Tried everything the first time including at least one restart. Still don't know what I did, but eventually the above worked like a charm with both monitors driven at full 4K resolution.

Now the problem. When I do the same thing I do in the AM, and unplug the SP4 without turning it off, sleep mode, etc., and bring it home and hook it up to the Port Replicator (with one monitor to the SP4 mini DP connector), about 10-20% of the time it comes up and all is wonderful, just like always at the office end.

If not, I spend a bunch of time playing around with settings in the display setup you get from right clicking on the desktop. At first I can only get the SP4 display to work. Then I can get one of the Dells working by extending the desktop to it. Then I can turn off the SP4, and now I'm running on one Dell. That is pretty reliably doable. After that is where it gets difficult. I just keep trying extending to the other monitor, restarting, changing settings in both the first screen and the Advanced Settings page. Eventually, between 15 and 45 minutes later, I manage to get both Dells working. By then I've done so many things I can't recall what combination of things did the trick.

As you can imagine, this whole process is getting really old. Sorry for all the detail but I'm hoping that by providing it maybe it will trigger someone else's memory and unlock a solution! Cheers, Mike
    04-04-2016 06:30 PM
    Was having issues, but Dec driver fixed most of the flickering. Using I7 SP4 with dock to dual 1080 Dell U2414H's. Sometimes monitors wouldn't wake up so fixed that by turning sleep "off" while plugged in. After latest updates, full reinstall, fix of image with DISM and fix of core files with SFC I'm running near perfect. Dock and undock successfully. Even the scaling coming back to plugged in returns as it should about 90% of the time. It's almost like a completely different machine. But mind you I have the I7. However the dock and the SP4 were purchased at release back in Nov 15, so nothing has been traded in or exchanged.
    I'm having similar issues with my I5 SP4. I have a single 2k display and sometimes it does not wake. Sounds like I need a fresh install - I bought my SP4 the first week it was available.
    04-14-2016 02:41 PM
    Just got the SB at the beginning of this week (April 11). I had purchased a pair of Monoprice Mini-DP to DVI passive adapters, but it took so long to get the SB, it was too late to return them when we found out we needed active adapters. Neither I nor the tech gurus could get the displays to do any better than the screen on the SB and the two monitors duplicating one other display. (the same display on two monitors).
    Today, I saw this thread and saw posts from several months ago mentioning that Windows was supposedly working on an update. I decided to manually request an update. After doing that, I right clicked and went to display settings, and the system allowed me to 'extend' the display to monitors 2 and 3. Hit apply and all is well again.
    Running SB with i7, 8GB, 256SSD, GDpu. Using Surface Dock, miniDP to HDMI active adapters, HDMI to DVI cables. 2 monitors are Dell P2312H
    04-15-2016 03:20 PM
    Hi All,

found that thread while searching for another thing, but we have the same thing on ALL our SF4 with the original MS-Dockingstation.
    After some trying we contacted the support of our distributor and he get us the connection to an MCP.

The MCP gives us the following Step-by-Step guide to get it working:

1. Shutdown Surface
    2. Connect the 2 displays to the dockingstation (use miniDP to DP or miniDP to HDMI)
      --annotation: we use miniDP to DP, because the miniDP to HDMI we had didn't won't run --annotation end
    3. Start Surface
    4. show display settings
    5. mark 2nd display and set it as active
    6. deactive interal display
    7. activate all 3 displays

now all 3 screens (one internal, 2 on docking) can be used AND if you undock/dock everything works as it should be.

It seems that this problem is a windows 10 AND surface docking hardware problem. The mix makes it so complicated.

Hope some of you will help this guide to get it work!

Greetings from Austria,

ZeroCool_AT

Want to add me on FB? Here we go! https://www.facebook.com/Dumper87
    spoonxii and ianc89 like this.
    06-29-2016 12:07 AM
    I was having a lot of frequent disconnecting & reconnecting (every 3 seconds or so), so after about 2 months of troubleshooting & support I took the Dock in for an exchange & in person support. One thing they mentioned several times was the firmware. I have only had the replacement 1 day, and haven't had any problems, so I am wondering if I should install the firmware. If it was a possible cause of the problem, should I bother taking the risk of doing it now? Should I wait a few months in hopes that if it was the problem it will be fixed by then?
    04-22-2017 10:59 PM
    I was having a lot of frequent disconnecting & reconnecting (every 3 seconds or so), so after about 2 months of troubleshooting & support I took the Dock in for an exchange & in person support. One thing they mentioned several times was the firmware. I have only had the replacement 1 day, and haven't had any problems, so I am wondering if I should install the firmware. If it was a possible cause of the problem, should I bother taking the risk of doing it now? Should I wait a few months in hopes that if it was the problem it will be fixed by then?
    I had that issue at the beginning but the latest firmware updates seem to have fixed it for the most part. I still find it a little finicky if you accidentally bump it it will sometimes disconnect but much better than when I started with it
    04-29-2017 09:17 AM
    I have an SP4 i7 and I am using 2 AOC 27" monitors both connected to the DOCK with HDMI adapters. I was having some issues until I updated the DOCK firmware (http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=ek8PBbbE) and now as long as I have the DOCK plugged in BEFORE I startup the SP4 everything works great. If I attach the DOCK to an already started SP4, It goes nuts and I have to shut down and restart and everything is fine.
    05-04-2017 12:44 PM
    Has anyone tried adding the regi file from this link https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/troubleshoot-docking-station-surface-dock ? Worked great for me.
    07-06-2017 04:15 PM
    Zerocool AT advice worked for me.... I didn't follow to a "T" but for under display settings my monitors were going to "Disconnect This Display" by default. The problem appeared overnight without any updates or changes..

Thanks,
    07-07-2017 09:46 AM
46 12