Surface gets hot while charging

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've seen some posts elsewhere (reddit) where people complain that their surface gets abnormally warm while charging (fans running and all that). I had this issue as well. I ran a sleepstudy to figure out what might be going on.

The attached image should explain what's going on. Curious to see whether anyone else is having this problem. The long and short of it: 0% time in low power state, and 92% of cpu time taken by the 520 graphics driver.

Attachments

• sleep.jpg
    sleep.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 11

Nutmegz

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I've had this issue for the past 3 days. My surface hasn't hit lower power state once yet. My last sleep state burned 7775mW of power in only 40 min (13% battery). It seems to only stop draining when it hit hibernate.

Attachments

• low power state.jpg
    low power state.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 9
  • sleep study.jpg
    sleep study.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 8

splendids

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. However, when I don't open Edge and use Firefox instead, I don't get the burning by Intels Graphics driver and CPU.

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick question: I took a good look, and noticed that this problem really developed especially on the second day. On 10/26, it's basically doing alright, and then on 10/27 sleep mode starts draining the battery faster than when the machine is in actual use. I cannot understand why, since there was no new software or update installed.

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Worse: driver so busy, device never sleeps, runs at full speed, and heats up an awful lot. That was just the overnight, though. On other sleep-cycles, without actual process activity, the device still does not enter low-power state and drains battery at a very rapid clip. About 20% in an hour and a half. It takes my SP3 47 hours to drain 22% on sleep.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Worse: driver so busy, device never sleeps, runs at full speed, and heats up an awful lot. That was just the overnight, though. On other sleep-cycles, without actual process activity, the device still does not enter low-power state and drains battery at a very rapid clip. About 20% in an hour and a half. It takes my SP3 47 hours to drain 22% on sleep.

FWIW I'm seeing the same on Surface Book (Core i7, dGPU). Device never sleeps.

Temp solution: Change the Power Plan so that when you hit the power button the Surface hibernates and skips InstantOn/Standby. Not ideal, but your device won't get hot when it should be off and you get that whole 'battery life' thing that people like.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Rubino can you please post these issues on the front page.

How we're all having flickering issues, color screen changes, and fan turning on while using the browser lightly. Other sites are already reporting this, and we need to be heard by Microsoft. We have 30 days before returning the product. If no changes have been made within that time period, I may have to return this and stick to SP3.

MartyB

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Did your sleep report happen to show that the speed of the battery drain increased on the second day? On mine, it clearly shows my SP4 entering low-power state on the first day, and then refusing to do so on the next day. I am in a similar conversation on Reddit, and I've seen a few sleepstudy reports from there that show the same pattern.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Did your sleep report happen to show that the speed of the battery drain increased on the second day? On mine, it clearly shows my SP4 entering low-power state on the first day, and then refusing to do so on the next day. I am in a similar conversation on Reddit, and I've seen a few sleepstudy reports from there that show the same pattern.

can you link me to this reddit so I can chime in on the issues.

Jamie Nelson1

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with my sp4. I can get better battery life leaving it on using it. If I put it to sleep I'm losing almost 10% per half hour. Plus if I have it sleeping and charging it gets real warm on the upper left corner on the back and this can be said for when it just sleeping not charging. This has to be a major problem and people are not reporting it. I set all my setting to power off when I close my lid, push my button. I know this will solve the problem of losing my battery. Maybe they will push a video driver update soon.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Mr. Rubino can you please post these issues on the front page.

How we're all having flickering issues, color screen changes, and fan turning on while using the browser lightly. Other sites are already reporting this, and we need to be heard by Microsoft. We have 30 days before returning the product. If no changes have been made within that time period, I may have to return this and stick to SP3.

Planning it for tomorrow. Been busy collecting data, etc. Microsoft is actually aware of the issue, but never hurts to have more coverage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans