12-21-2017 01:22 PM
122 1234 ...
tools
    After saying this, I decided to give it a better test by sitting down with my fully-charged SP4 and just reading news sites with Edge to see what happens. I didn't do anything else, just used Edge. After a half hour or so the thing started getting hot and the fan went on. The battery started running down at an alarming rate. I reached 6% after about 3 hours.

I had a much better experience when I was multi-tasking with other apps and off-line distractions that gave the thing a minute of rest now and then. So now I understand where the overheating problem is coming from. Seems as though Edge just isn't ready for prime time.
    True! I am using Chrome but still it is not perfect.... Good news is the bug decreasing...
    10-30-2015 10:12 AM
    I hope they sort it out. Edge has some cool features. I enjoy being able to read an article without all the intrusive, flashing clickbait.
    10-30-2015 10:25 AM
    After saying this, I decided to give it a better test by sitting down with my fully-charged SP4 and just reading news sites with Edge to see what happens. I didn't do anything else, just used Edge. After a half hour or so the thing started getting hot and the fan went on. The battery started running down at an alarming rate. I reached 6% after about 3 hours.

I had a much better experience when I was multi-tasking with other apps and off-line distractions that gave the thing a minute of rest now and then. So now I understand where the overheating problem is coming from. Seems as though Edge just isn't ready for prime time.
    I ran the same test, along with my Surface Pro 3. Guess which one still ran longer while the body was cold to the touch? I'm seriously disappointed at Microsoft for this. How could they not see this issue? I was deciding to sell my Sp3, but now I may just keep it a bit longer and return sp4.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    10-30-2015 10:55 AM
    So lets see how many I have...

1. [Hardware] Unbalance screen color (partly due to back light leaking), which mean you will see a light yellow region on your pure white screen.

I have some backlight bleed on the bottom.. its not horrible.... really didn't expect to see any in a $1k+ range computer, but not deal breaker for me.

2. Fixed! [H/S] The rear camera cannot take photo! simply because it cannot focus! Try it and let me know.

I haven't done anything with cameras other than windows hello..... I .... really never have seen the point... idea`l of holding something this big to photograph.. i dunno.

3. [H/S] The sleeping and heating issue...

While I haven't had the sleeping issue that I am aware (although most of the sleep has been while connected to charge)... the unit does get much hotter in use than I really expected.

4. [S] The flashing yellow/green/blue tint screen.

I have also had issues when scrolling many of the "modern" apps... like the whole area of the ap goes crazy colors.... I think thats the same.

5. [S] The track pad of type cover died from time to time.

Not yet experienced. Dont really use the type cover much... although i still dislike how it more or less forces me to use it with some operations like remote desktop work.

6. [H/S] The touchscreen died and it need a reboot.

This, however, I did experience, and almost drove me to take this to the store and return the thing. To me to have the primary input device simply stop functioning all together is inexcusable. If I didn't have the type cover I would have had to hard reboot the thing (I assume thats possible) and would have lost what I was working on.

FURTHER: When I did that reboot, it took 5-6 minutes for the "SURFACE" word to come off the screen and actually let me log in... again for a >$1k piece of hardware, completely inexcusable. I've been able to repeat that problem twice now. But the first time with the touch dead to start it off really is what drove me to the edge.

7. [H] Poor battery life (4.5h on average, half of what it should be)

Using 15-30% cpu on average I am getting <4 hours battery life out of the pro i5 model.

8. [S] Cannot launch desktop Onenote with pen....

I can.. but takes several tries... but then again I dont use onenote, because apparently I need to sign in with a microsoft account... not really something I care to do.

9. New! [S] The estimation time charge/discharge is very inaccurate! I spend 40mins on '11mins' before fully charged.

I seriously had this issue both ways... literally I was on battery, had 85% left, and it was saying less than an hour of battery left (again with <30% cpu).

9. ... [ let me know bug that you found]

After its been charging with type cover closed for some time.... I remove the power, open the type cover, I can see see the red flashing light of windows hello camera thing.... but nothing pops up... press the power button..... nothing.... wait a bit. press again.. nothing...... wait.. press again finally it launches...

And the fan... always seems to be on... in the reviews I saw most were like "its never on" ... but I swear its never off... and sometimes even with <25% cpu its on LOUD.... especially when charging...

Firefox will periodically just hang for no apparent reason for a few seconds... and both firefox and chrome scrolling is ... anything but smooth.

Most of these things I can accept and know will get fixed with patches soon (i hope) .... but the touch screen dieing and then minutes to restart.... I really cant accept that in something of this price class with this level of hardware....
    10-30-2015 12:27 PM
    Another update audio no longer works at all. Any time I click on the audio button on the bottom right hand corner the troubleshooter comes up and says that I have no audio device connected.
    10-30-2015 05:23 PM
    I do have the Edge\Video driver related issues. I use Internet Explorer while I wait for the remedy.
    Battery isn't impressive, but I suspect we won't know the battery potential for a while. (Post release updates)

Having said all that, those issues don't even come close to diminishing how impressive this thing is to use. It's fantastic.
    I suspect that coming from a SP2 instead of a SP3 has me a bit more jazzed though.

I won't be getting rid of my SP2
    I won't even part with my Lumia 2520 (Absolutely my favorite for mobility and LTE)
    10-30-2015 05:44 PM
    So lets see how many I have...

1. [Hardware] Unbalance screen color (partly due to back light leaking), which mean you will see a light yellow region on your pure white screen.

I have some backlight bleed on the bottom.. its not horrible.... really didn't expect to see any in a $1k+ range computer, but not deal breaker for me.

2. Fixed! [H/S] The rear camera cannot take photo! simply because it cannot focus! Try it and let me know.

I haven't done anything with cameras other than windows hello..... I .... really never have seen the point... idea`l of holding something this big to photograph.. i dunno.

3. [H/S] The sleeping and heating issue...

While I haven't had the sleeping issue that I am aware (although most of the sleep has been while connected to charge)... the unit does get much hotter in use than I really expected.

4. [S] The flashing yellow/green/blue tint screen.

I have also had issues when scrolling many of the "modern" apps... like the whole area of the ap goes crazy colors.... I think thats the same.

5. [S] The track pad of type cover died from time to time.

Not yet experienced. Dont really use the type cover much... although i still dislike how it more or less forces me to use it with some operations like remote desktop work.

6. [H/S] The touchscreen died and it need a reboot.

This, however, I did experience, and almost drove me to take this to the store and return the thing. To me to have the primary input device simply stop functioning all together is inexcusable. If I didn't have the type cover I would have had to hard reboot the thing (I assume thats possible) and would have lost what I was working on.

FURTHER: When I did that reboot, it took 5-6 minutes for the "SURFACE" word to come off the screen and actually let me log in... again for a >$1k piece of hardware, completely inexcusable. I've been able to repeat that problem twice now. But the first time with the touch dead to start it off really is what drove me to the edge.

7. [H] Poor battery life (4.5h on average, half of what it should be)

Using 15-30% cpu on average I am getting <4 hours battery life out of the pro i5 model.

8. [S] Cannot launch desktop Onenote with pen....

I can.. but takes several tries... but then again I dont use onenote, because apparently I need to sign in with a microsoft account... not really something I care to do.

9. New! [S] The estimation time charge/discharge is very inaccurate! I spend 40mins on '11mins' before fully charged.

I seriously had this issue both ways... literally I was on battery, had 85% left, and it was saying less than an hour of battery left (again with <30% cpu).

9. ... [ let me know bug that you found]

After its been charging with type cover closed for some time.... I remove the power, open the type cover, I can see see the red flashing light of windows hello camera thing.... but nothing pops up... press the power button..... nothing.... wait a bit. press again.. nothing...... wait.. press again finally it launches...

And the fan... always seems to be on... in the reviews I saw most were like "its never on" ... but I swear its never off... and sometimes even with <25% cpu its on LOUD.... especially when charging...

Firefox will periodically just hang for no apparent reason for a few seconds... and both firefox and chrome scrolling is ... anything but smooth.

Most of these things I can accept and know will get fixed with patches soon (i hope) .... but the touch screen dieing and then minutes to restart.... I really cant accept that in something of this price class with this level of hardware....
    Thanks for your reply! Try Chrome instead of Edge and Firefox. Patches are coming daily base and hopefully they help. :)
    10-30-2015 06:24 PM
    also appens on IE not just edge, and I live its happening with firefox too.
    10-31-2015 12:36 AM

I don't think this is edge because none of this stuff happens on my sp3 with windows 10. Its either a wonky intel display driver or a bad firmware, or bad hardware. I am returning my sp4 tom to ms store.
    10-31-2015 12:40 AM
    and now my surface has started popping from time to time.. :(
    10-31-2015 01:32 AM
    and now my surface has started popping from time to time.. :(
    Did you update? Try playing really loud music for awhile to get the audio going.
    10-31-2015 01:52 AM
    All these bugs and that battery life are all of concern. I hope all this gets sorted before the uk release on the 12th
    10-31-2015 11:38 AM
    Had the Surface screen hang up once before it would boot, but hasn't occurred again and the camera not working was fixed by applying the update. The only thing I'm concerned about is battery life. I really don't need to use it for extended periods off the charger, but it's still a concern. I wonder if further updates will address the problem.
    10-31-2015 12:22 PM
    I don't think this is edge because none of this stuff happens on my sp3 with windows 10. Its either a wonky intel display driver or a bad firmware, or bad hardware. I am returning my sp4 tom to ms store.
    These issues are first and foremost caused by the Intel HD 520 drivers, which affects Edge in the SP4. Other browsers on the SP4 do not experience these issues.
    10-31-2015 02:09 PM
    These issues are first and foremost caused by the Intel HD 520 drivers, which affects Edge in the SP4. Other browsers on the SP4 do not experience these issues.
    Normal IE also has same issues and firefox
    10-31-2015 03:33 PM
    Normal IE also has same issues and firefox
    I had no issues with Firefox on the SP4.
    10-31-2015 04:32 PM
    for the graphics driver issues I have manually updated to the latest intel reference drivers to see if that fixes the crashing issue with edge, will report back after some testing.
    10-31-2015 06:26 PM
    ok on initial testing it seems to resolve the driver crashing in edge, the pinkish colours and the changing colours while scrolling.
    10-31-2015 06:41 PM
    I'm having identical issues. Also I've noticed that the screen appears to be too soft. When I write with the pen or touch the screen it kinda distorts like touching a TV flat panel LED screen. Not as severe as that but noticeable when writing. Neither my SP1, S1 or S2 have this problem. My internet connection is so intermittent despite fast connection. And my SP4 always shows that I'm connected in the taskbar. Ive only had it one day and I'm trying to wait for a fix, but it sucks that I basically have an expensive beautiful paper weight.
    11-01-2015 01:37 AM
    popping started after the friday update.... was fine after the initial update...
    11-01-2015 01:37 AM
    While normal pressure I don't notice the softness... but when I was calibrating my pen pressure for use in my drawing application, it is clear that the front glass gives enough to distort the screen behind it.... .I guess that is the trade off.... stiffer glass may be thicker, heavier, and cause more visual parallax..

also noticed that the pen marker is attracted to place taht is not the end of the nub, but a bit back from it... I've not experienced this with wacom products... ..
    11-01-2015 01:40 AM
    I also have no sound and occasional screen tint. Any solutions?
    11-01-2015 02:08 PM
    A power cover version of the type cover would be great though I fear it wouldn't be economical for them to make. Dream would be one with a fingerprint reader which I currently have and love to pieces.
    11-01-2015 02:59 PM
    Hi all, glad to find this info. I'm having similar experiences.
    1) touchscreen stops working. I quit using Edge and opted for Chrome and it's happened LESS, but it still happens. Have to hard reboot, which takes about 5 mins. As someone else said, spending upwards of 1k for this thing, this should never happen (mine was 1.5k)

2) using Edge makes some sort of driver fail.. Takes about 30 seconds to recover touchscreen functionality. Different issue from above. Again, using Chrome fixes this.

3) battery life is atrocious. I haven't done anything taxing on the system to warrant poor battery life, it just is what it is.

Other than that, the thing is gorgeous. I just can't recommend this to anyone right now, but as someone said Microsoft has been issuing updates daily, so hopefull this will get ironed out. Hell, the wait list for most of these things is a month, so if you order now it should be figured out by then! :D
    11-01-2015 04:16 PM
    Got my surface pro 4 on Oct 26, went dead after 4 days. Dead means one minute I am watching netflix the next minute it blacked out and won't turn on. Went to the store and exchanged for one on Friday, a bit of trouble since I thought the receipt is from morning Taco bell and threw it out.... A weird coincidence is one of my good friend is using surface pro 3 and the second one (the first one exchanged due to heating) died on the same day..15 days before warranty.
    11-01-2015 05:10 PM
122 1234 ...