12-21-2017 01:22 PM
122 12345
tools
    might cancel my order of sp4 .... and go get a discounted sp3. costco won't ship any of the i7 until nov 30th, so hopefully some of this stuff gets fix. I am a bit concern about the light bleed, especially on a $2k device!
    11-02-2015 11:29 AM
    also noticed that the pen marker is attracted to place taht is not the end of the nub, but a bit back from it... I've not experienced this with wacom products... ..
    Use the calibration tool to get the marker right where you expect it. Worked awesome for me!
    11-02-2015 12:11 PM
    I've twice gotten a BSOD with the graphics driver - latest this morning - the other was Friday.
    11-02-2015 01:11 PM
    I went to the local MS Store today really wanting to do the trade-in for a new SP4. I've been reading these forums the last 3 days and wondered about these reported faults. In about an hour of testing at the store, (I needed to really put the pen through its paces in several programs) I noticed:

- The pink screen discoloration after the graphics driver failed mid-session (Win10 was nice enough to alert the driver failure so I'm sure of this).
    - Eraser button didn't seem to start OneNote or Cortana (although I'm not sure if that's just configuration).
    - Boot times seem to be fast with and with out keyboard.
    - Cool to the touch (i5 version)
    - Battery readout of time remaining was very short (~4 hours), but with some power tweaks I got it to say 6+
    - The pen is completely bonkers in Corel Painter 2016. I know how to use and tweak this program. There's aggressive skipping and it seems as if palm rejection isn't always in play. Fresh paint and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (tablet) didn't show this behavior so I'm assuming it's software specific.

I really wanted to get this. The device is beautiful and the keyboard is amazing. But ultimately, I didn't want to trade a perfectly functioning SP2 for something more expensive and about 80% there. Gonna look at this again in a few months. Methinks a week 1 purchase is too aggressive for me.
    11-02-2015 05:40 PM
    They literally just shipped a bunch of updates that include a new graphics driver.

Also the buttons probably didn't work because they didn't actually pair the pens to the devices. The digitizer will still work allowing you to draw and whatnot, but none of the buttons will work and palm rejection doesn't really work without pairing...
    11-02-2015 05:48 PM
    I went to the local MS Store today really wanting to do the trade-in for a new SP4. I've been reading these forums the last 3 days and wondered about these reported faults. In about an hour of testing at the store, (I needed to really put the pen through its paces in several programs) I noticed:

- The pink screen discoloration after the graphics driver failed mid-session (Win10 was nice enough to alert the driver failure so I'm sure of this).
    - Eraser button didn't seem to start OneNote or Cortana (although I'm not sure if that's just configuration).
    - Boot times seem to be fast with and with out keyboard.
    - Cool to the touch (i5 version)
    - Battery readout of time remaining was very short (~4 hours), but with some power tweaks I got it to say 6+
    - The pen is completely bonkers in Corel Painter 2016. I know how to use and tweak this program. There's aggressive skipping and it seems as if palm rejection isn't always in play. Fresh paint and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (tablet) didn't show this behavior so I'm assuming it's software specific.

I really wanted to get this. The device is beautiful and the keyboard is amazing. But ultimately, I didn't want to trade a perfectly functioning SP2 for something more expensive and about 80% there. Gonna look at this again in a few months. Methinks a week 1 purchase is too aggressive for me.
    Did you ren the 'Surface' app to initialize the pen?
    11-02-2015 06:35 PM
    Negative. I tried to find a way to calibrate the pen, but didn't find anything in the settings. Is that a separate app? Still reading mixed reviews about the new firmware from yesterday.

Interesting bit about pairing the pen. I noticed that Bluetooth was on and picked up the pen, but I just assumed you had to have Bluetooth on to use the pen (which seems like another battery suck channel). At this point, I'll sit this out for a while since the Surface is a secondary computer for me anyway.
    11-03-2015 04:53 PM
    Negative. I tried to find a way to calibrate the pen, but didn't find anything in the settings. Is that a separate app? Still reading mixed reviews about the new firmware from yesterday.

Interesting bit about pairing the pen. I noticed that Bluetooth was on and picked up the pen, but I just assumed you had to have Bluetooth on to use the pen (which seems like another battery suck channel). At this point, I'll sit this out for a while since the Surface is a secondary computer for me anyway.
    The 'Surface' app is kind of calibration process. I fixed mine after open it. It is preinstalled and it should be very big in your start menu.
    11-03-2015 11:10 PM
    Since the last update I have not had the screen color change problem, the back camera works and multiple touches to start an app has improved but I am still having problems with the display driver stopping and recovering and with new windows occasionally crashing. I went the Microsoft store merely to inquire whether the display driver issue was just a bug that would be resolved with an update and the salesperson insisted I make an appointment, which was scheduled yesterday. The technician saw how the display driver was restarting repeatedly, particularly with Edge but also with IE. He noticed some websites work fine and other websites repeatedly restart the driver every time the page is refreshed. He reinstalled the graphics driver and came the conclusion that the problem is related to Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4 graphics processing particular websites. He said that Microsoft was still fixing bugs and that eventually it should be resolved. He said there was nothing wrong with the hardware, which I also assumed wasn't the problem. In the meantime I am still using Surface Pro 3 with the new Type Cover.
    11-04-2015 10:13 AM
    Use the "Surface" app to calibrate pressure sensitive. For pointer accuracy type: WINDOWS KEY -> Calibrate. In the list you should see the calibration app. Basically it marks targets on the corners of the screen that you tap on. My pen initially drew about 3 pixels below where I thought it should, but after calibration is was perfect.
    11-04-2015 12:17 PM
    Im getting a screen flicker every time 6/10 times in any way I launch Cortana i.e. Pen Button, Three finger gesture.
    11-04-2015 01:47 PM
    I have a new SP 4 i7 and it occasionally pops too. Probably a driver somehow.
    11-22-2015 07:20 PM
    OK have a new slew of bugs that just came about today:

1) My screen is registering phantom taps in the upper left corner quite frequently. So much so that it will awake my computer from rest and wiggle the lock screen up and down. When browsing the web, it repeatedly jams the browser back button. Very annoying. I can see the clear circles rapidly tapping the area, like it is picking up finger touches there.

2) My audio device (speakers) keep crashing/glitching in such a way that it brings a red X up on the speaker icon, and also will not let me play any sound. I have to completely restart computer to fix the issue, which it does 100% of the time. But audio just crashes not too long later.

3) Blue screen restart has happened twice today. It only happened twice total in the last month I had the device.

TL; DR get your stuff together MS. I am this close to getting something else.
    11-22-2015 09:05 PM
    Decided to go from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4 and these are the bugs I'm having as of 11/28:

• Phantom Screen Touches - Seems to indicate a screen touch (can see the little touch circle) without touching it. Sometimes it takes the focus off the application I am in and I have to touch or click back on it.
    • Display Drivers Crashes - Nuff said. Tons of people having this.
    • Sleep Wake Up Problems
    • Microsoft Edge Flickering When playing embedded video or YouTube.
    • Frequent, Random Blue Screens.

This all could boil down to the display drivers...I am really considering going to a regular laptop with GPU due to these problems though. I want something that works and I've owned almost ever iteration of the Surface.

While not show stoppers YET, they are starting to become annoying and surprised Microsoft isn't responding faster to this problem.
    11-28-2015 03:50 PM
    Decided to go from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4 and these are the bugs I'm having as of 11/28:

• Phantom Screen Touches - Seems to indicate a screen touch (can see the little touch circle) without touching it. Sometimes it takes the focus off the application I am in and I have to touch or click back on it.
    • Display Drivers Crashes - Nuff said. Tons of people having this.
    • Sleep Wake Up Problems
    • Microsoft Edge Flickering When playing embedded video or YouTube.
    • Frequent, Random Blue Screens.

This all could boil down to the display drivers...I am really considering going to a regular laptop with GPU due to these problems though. I want something that works and I've owned almost ever iteration of the Surface.

While not show stoppers YET, they are starting to become annoying and surprised Microsoft isn't responding faster to this problem.
    Those are all showstoppers - especially the phantom touches which indicates a hardware defect.

Get it exchanged already.
    11-29-2015 05:55 PM
    Those are all showstoppers - especially the phantom touches which indicates a hardware defect.

Get it exchanged already.
    Done...exchanged it last night and no more "phantom" touches...so far, no screen shaking on web page videos...jury is still out on blue screens...still get display driver crashes but will wait on a fix soon.
    11-30-2015 08:20 AM
    I recently got my SP4 (i5, 256GB) on Friday and have run into an issue that's constantly replicated: If I close my type cover to put the device into sleep mode, the screen will not come on. The IR Camera comes and I'm able to turn it off by swipe up and unlocking the device, but there is on response on the screen.
    11-30-2015 03:34 PM
    I recently got my SP4 (i5, 256GB) on Friday and have run into an issue that's constantly replicated: If I close my type cover to put the device into sleep mode, the screen will not come on. The IR Camera comes and I'm able to turn it off by swipe up and unlocking the device, but there is on response on the screen.
    I had the same problem
    I changed the intel grahic driver according to http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...you-agree.html.
    The battery drain is much better and i have no problem to get it out of sleep mode.
    No more soft resets needed.
    12-01-2015 01:04 AM
    Since the last update I have not had the screen color change problem, the back camera works and multiple touches to start an app has improved but I am still having problems with the display driver stopping and recovering and with new windows occasionally crashing. I went the Microsoft store merely to inquire whether the display driver issue was just a bug that would be resolved with an update and the salesperson insisted I make an appointment, which was scheduled yesterday. The technician saw how the display driver was restarting repeatedly, particularly with Edge but also with IE. He noticed some websites work fine and other websites repeatedly restart the driver every time the page is refreshed. He reinstalled the graphics driver and came the conclusion that the problem is related to Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4 graphics processing particular websites. He said that Microsoft was still fixing bugs and that eventually it should be resolved. He said there was nothing wrong with the hardware, which I also assumed wasn't the problem. In the meantime I am still using Surface Pro 3 with the new Type Cover.
    I purchased a SP4 last week but had to take it back Sunday due to flawed touchscreen (would flicker when dim, phantom touches.) I came back with the replacement and it is much better. I still have the video driver problem and perhaps one wake up problem (but detaching keyboard did help)...before I exchanged my original SP4, I was really about to write a scathing review, mainly for the QC job Microsoft has done. My replacement has been MUCH better. These faulty drivers are kind of inexcusable for a premimum device though...
    12-01-2015 09:29 AM
    OK have a new slew of bugs that just came about today:

1) My screen is registering phantom taps in the upper left corner quite frequently. So much so that it will awake my computer from rest and wiggle the lock screen up and down. When browsing the web, it repeatedly jams the browser back button. Very annoying. I can see the clear circles rapidly tapping the area, like it is picking up finger touches there.

2) My audio device (speakers) keep crashing/glitching in such a way that it brings a red X up on the speaker icon, and also will not let me play any sound. I have to completely restart computer to fix the issue, which it does 100% of the time. But audio just crashes not too long later.

3) Blue screen restart has happened twice today. It only happened twice total in the last month I had the device.

TL; DR get your stuff together MS. I am this close to getting something else.
    I had several of these problems...phantom touches...wake up problems...a lot of blue screens...since I exchanged it on Sunday for another SP4, so far, only the video driver crashing problem. Everything else seems good...SO FAR...
    12-01-2015 09:31 AM
    I have the slow boot with keyboard cover folded back issue that's well documented. I did find yesterday that if you have the keyboard cover attached so that the keys are facing in towards the back of the machine (e.g. reversed) then my SP4 boots normally. Weird.
    12-01-2015 08:46 PM
    Still havong problems with display driver, ocasional chash and screen flashes.
    12-14-2015 05:36 PM
    Still havong problems with display driver, ocasional chash and screen flashes.
    +1

Applied all of the latest updates and stopped using Edge, which was causing lots of screen flickering.

However initiated a full virus scan this morning with Vipre 2016 and the screen went metal for about 30s, couldn't even read anything on the display, then it's been fine okay since. Still some work to do on the display drivers I think.
    12-15-2015 03:33 AM
    I have these issues on my 256/8 i5 SP4, especially the overheating and draining WHILE asleep! Also, after reading this post i tried my camera for the first time: doesn't work. Does anyone have working rear camera on their SP4?
    Turn on power saving and hyper V
    12-15-2015 08:16 PM
    mine is buggy aswell
    12-20-2015 10:10 PM
122 12345