Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Bugs + Defects

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
OK have a new slew of bugs that just came about today:

1) My screen is registering phantom taps in the upper left corner quite frequently. So much so that it will awake my computer from rest and wiggle the lock screen up and down. When browsing the web, it repeatedly jams the browser back button. Very annoying. I can see the clear circles rapidly tapping the area, like it is picking up finger touches there.

2) My audio device (speakers) keep crashing/glitching in such a way that it brings a red X up on the speaker icon, and also will not let me play any sound. I have to completely restart computer to fix the issue, which it does 100% of the time. But audio just crashes not too long later.

3) Blue screen restart has happened twice today. It only happened twice total in the last month I had the device.

TL; DR get your stuff together MS. I am this close to getting something else.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Decided to go from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4 and these are the bugs I'm having as of 11/28:

• Phantom Screen Touches - Seems to indicate a screen touch (can see the little touch circle) without touching it. Sometimes it takes the focus off the application I am in and I have to touch or click back on it.
  • Display Drivers Crashes - Nuff said. Tons of people having this.
  • Sleep Wake Up Problems
  • Microsoft Edge Flickering When playing embedded video or YouTube.
  • Frequent, Random Blue Screens.

This all could boil down to the display drivers...I am really considering going to a regular laptop with GPU due to these problems though. I want something that works and I've owned almost ever iteration of the Surface.

While not show stoppers YET, they are starting to become annoying and surprised Microsoft isn't responding faster to this problem.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Decided to go from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 4 and these are the bugs I'm having as of 11/28:

• Phantom Screen Touches - Seems to indicate a screen touch (can see the little touch circle) without touching it. Sometimes it takes the focus off the application I am in and I have to touch or click back on it.
  • Display Drivers Crashes - Nuff said. Tons of people having this.
  • Sleep Wake Up Problems
  • Microsoft Edge Flickering When playing embedded video or YouTube.
  • Frequent, Random Blue Screens.

This all could boil down to the display drivers...I am really considering going to a regular laptop with GPU due to these problems though. I want something that works and I've owned almost ever iteration of the Surface.

While not show stoppers YET, they are starting to become annoying and surprised Microsoft isn't responding faster to this problem.

Those are all showstoppers - especially the phantom touches which indicates a hardware defect.

Get it exchanged already.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Those are all showstoppers - especially the phantom touches which indicates a hardware defect.

Get it exchanged already.

Done...exchanged it last night and no more "phantom" touches...so far, no screen shaking on web page videos...jury is still out on blue screens...still get display driver crashes but will wait on a fix soon.

ZiKhan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I recently got my SP4 (i5, 256GB) on Friday and have run into an issue that's constantly replicated: If I close my type cover to put the device into sleep mode, the screen will not come on. The IR Camera comes and I'm able to turn it off by swipe up and unlocking the device, but there is on response on the screen.

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I recently got my SP4 (i5, 256GB) on Friday and have run into an issue that's constantly replicated: If I close my type cover to put the device into sleep mode, the screen will not come on. The IR Camera comes and I'm able to turn it off by swipe up and unlocking the device, but there is on response on the screen.

I had the same problem
I changed the intel grahic driver according to http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-battery-life-surface-pro-4-do-you-agree.html.
The battery drain is much better and i have no problem to get it out of sleep mode.
No more soft resets needed.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Since the last update I have not had the screen color change problem, the back camera works and multiple touches to start an app has improved but I am still having problems with the display driver stopping and recovering and with new windows occasionally crashing. I went the Microsoft store merely to inquire whether the display driver issue was just a bug that would be resolved with an update and the salesperson insisted I make an appointment, which was scheduled yesterday. The technician saw how the display driver was restarting repeatedly, particularly with Edge but also with IE. He noticed some websites work fine and other websites repeatedly restart the driver every time the page is refreshed. He reinstalled the graphics driver and came the conclusion that the problem is related to Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4 graphics processing particular websites. He said that Microsoft was still fixing bugs and that eventually it should be resolved. He said there was nothing wrong with the hardware, which I also assumed wasn't the problem. In the meantime I am still using Surface Pro 3 with the new Type Cover.

I purchased a SP4 last week but had to take it back Sunday due to flawed touchscreen (would flicker when dim, phantom touches.) I came back with the replacement and it is much better. I still have the video driver problem and perhaps one wake up problem (but detaching keyboard did help)...before I exchanged my original SP4, I was really about to write a scathing review, mainly for the QC job Microsoft has done. My replacement has been MUCH better. These faulty drivers are kind of inexcusable for a premimum device though...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
OK have a new slew of bugs that just came about today:

1) My screen is registering phantom taps in the upper left corner quite frequently. So much so that it will awake my computer from rest and wiggle the lock screen up and down. When browsing the web, it repeatedly jams the browser back button. Very annoying. I can see the clear circles rapidly tapping the area, like it is picking up finger touches there.

2) My audio device (speakers) keep crashing/glitching in such a way that it brings a red X up on the speaker icon, and also will not let me play any sound. I have to completely restart computer to fix the issue, which it does 100% of the time. But audio just crashes not too long later.

3) Blue screen restart has happened twice today. It only happened twice total in the last month I had the device.

TL; DR get your stuff together MS. I am this close to getting something else.

I had several of these problems...phantom touches...wake up problems...a lot of blue screens...since I exchanged it on Sunday for another SP4, so far, only the video driver crashing problem. Everything else seems good...SO FAR...

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the slow boot with keyboard cover folded back issue that's well documented. I did find yesterday that if you have the keyboard cover attached so that the keys are facing in towards the back of the machine (e.g. reversed) then my SP4 boots normally. Weird.

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Still havong problems with display driver, ocasional chash and screen flashes.

+1

Applied all of the latest updates and stopped using Edge, which was causing lots of screen flickering.

However initiated a full virus scan this morning with Vipre 2016 and the screen went metal for about 30s, couldn't even read anything on the display, then it's been fine okay since. Still some work to do on the display drivers I think.

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Applied latest updates

System Hardware Update - 17/12/2015
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (MB3124200)

Still getting lots of screen interference on start-up, like an old analogue TV that can't get a signal, can't read anything on the screen and then after about a minute I'll see the login screen displayed. Once logged in and running I still get screen flicker/interference every couple of mins.

How's everyone else fairing with the latest patches?

I think it might be time for a return???

D3xt3rSM

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Applied latest updates

System Hardware Update - 17/12/2015
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (MB3124200)

Still getting lots of screen interference on start-up, like an old analogue TV that can't get a signal, can't read anything on the screen and then after about a minute I'll see the login screen displayed. Once logged in and running I still get screen flicker/interference every couple of mins.

How's everyone else fairing with the latest patches?

I think it might be time for a return???

Has this been happening evern after a reinstall if Win10 ?
If that didn't work, sounds like defective hardware.I think you should ask for a replacement

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Today I initiated a full reset and then applied the latest updates, waiting for everything to complete before rebooting.

Unfortunately I still get the screen interference randomly on cold startup and when certain apps are running. I've disabled the Edge background process, along with disabling flash in IE and Chrome.

It must be either something low level driver or hardware related as it happens immediately from cold start.

Fortunately I brought it from a well known retailer in the UK who are very good at handling returns.

It's a real PITA as everything else about the device is great.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You may want to return the device and get another one. I've had mine (i7/256gb) since the end of November and the only thing I can comment is a tiny bit of light bleed, battery life around 6-7 hours, and occasional sleep issues. None of these really bother me at all as the device is so amazing.

I was also lucky that when I got my device, that same day MS pushed out a slew of updates to address the complaints from people owning the i5 devices.

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, doing a full factory reset now, before packing it up to return to the store tomorrow.

Let's hope they have a replacement model in stock which is fault free.

I'd like an i7 but don't really need the extra power for just running Office 365 apps and web browsing. The i5 4GB model I have runs far more smoothly that the mid-2012 MacBook Air it's eventually going to replace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel