Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Bugs + Defects

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I got the i5 4G model. Great. No bugs I can find. Had the i7 SP3 model before but this runs what I run just as fast.

I second that. I have the i5/8/256
I have no issues after i reinstalled windows 10 without saving anything.

And if you are going to reinstall windows, don't put in the key.
Just skip that part. You know what i mean when you get there. ;)

Last edited:

joora

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
While I'm lucky for now not to have as many bugs as you have (i5,256), I'm curious about the plastic strip at the top. Mine protrudes a bit at each end. While It's almost unnoticable if watched from afar, when I go over with my finger, I can clearly feel the sharp plastic edge which is protruding a bit. Is this common or I got one with a bit of faulty finishing.

Also the metal edge by the speaker is a bit rough, but I'm guessing that one is normal.

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
While I'm lucky for now not to have as many bugs as you have (i5,256), I'm curious about the plastic strip at the top. Mine protrudes a bit at each end. While It's almost unnoticable if watched from afar, when I go over with my finger, I can clearly feel the sharp plastic edge which is protruding a bit. Is this common or I got one with a bit of faulty finishing.

Also the metal edge by the speaker is a bit rough, but I'm guessing that one is normal.

I also have a small sharp strip protruding at the top.
I only have it on the top right side, but its a bit annoying.
Its sharp an i frequently "cut" myself holding it.
I was wondering if it was ok to use a razor on it to get rid of it.
Im just afraid that its a small bit of the motherboard or something thats moved and is sticking out.
And that if i use aa razor will remove any important part of hardware.

aide199

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I second that. I have the i5/8/256
I have no issues after i reinstalled windows 10 without saving anything.

And if you are going to reinstall windows, don't put in the key.
Just skip that part. You know what i mean when you get there. ;)

Did Windows 10 install all your drivers?? or did you have to install manually??

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Did Windows 10 install all your drivers?? or did you have to install manually??

Windows installed all the drivers. Then i applied the updates automaticly with windows update.
I have had no problems so far after the reinstallation.
So far the best "laptop" i have ever had.

joora

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I also have a small sharp strip protruding at the top.
I only have it on the top right side, but its a bit annoying.
Its sharp an i frequently "cut" myself holding it.
I was wondering if it was ok to use a razor on it to get rid of it.
Im just afraid that its a small bit of the motherboard or something thats moved and is sticking out.
And that if i use aa razor will remove any important part of hardware.

I think the plastic strip contains the wifi antenna, but I don't know how deep the antenna is placed in relation to the plastic surface.
But yeah, the protruding edge is annoying.

akiramike

May 11, 2014
Visit site
My SP4 freezes 3 times a week.Sometimes when watching a video, listening to a podcast or even when its doing nothing besides downloading. Its just getting tiresome having to soft reboot everytime.

DONSP4

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys still have battery drain during sleep state?
My SP4 is most always dead after about 12hrs after it goes sleep, even battery was left about more than 80%.
Is it normal? or only my SP4??

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I do not have the sleep issue at all. I have left mine in sleep overnight to awake next day and find it indicates 100% charge upon immediate check

techzoom

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a new SP4 i5 and have terrible battery life.

Sleep overnight burns 30% of the battery.
Windows desktop with Edge open w/ a few tabs open leads to 15% CPU consumption leading the CPU to run at 2Ghz+ and burn power.

The issue is not fixed.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

I had the same issue with the SP4 I ordered online and found it VERY annoying. I had various Surface devices before this that did not have this at all.

Luckily I have a Micorosft Store nearby so I went in to compare and other models didn't have this problem.
When I showed the rep they exchanged it right away.
The new one is perfect.
The area near the speaker is unavoidable for the issue.
I was still within my 30 days though.

Try for an exchange.

towsim

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
A couple of days ago, I installed the DCS flight simulator on my Surface Pro 4. I found, that there must be something wrong with texture transparency. All the shadow functions, even in the cockpit are opaque. Outside the cockpit, all the scenery is totally black, with the exception of clouds. The outer scenery is normally covered with mist of different strength, which can be a transparent texture or a fog function in DirectX. Since we have no mist or fog in a cockpit, all the cockpit scenery is displayed normally as expected, as long, as no shadow covers a cockpit object. I assume a bug in the DirectX layer which must be made especially for the Surface 4 GPU. DCS seems to handle the Fog function correct, because it works on other computers. Did anybody else observe a similar bug and has probably a solution for it?
Thanks for all answers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad