Was the Surface Pro 3 launch like this?

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, question for you. I didn't pay a lot of attention when the SP3 was launched, but I'm very interested in the SP4, however when I come to this forum I see tons of bugs, problems, and user frustration with the SP4.

It sounds like most of the issues are software and will (hopefully) be fixed with a software update (and hopefully soon... like yesterday), but I am curious if this is par for the course with a Surface Pro launch or if this is unusual?

It is making me a little hesitant to jump onboard if I am going to have lots of issues.

I'd probably not use Edge at all (I have not had many good experiences with it on both my phone and my PC) so hopefully i'd avoid many of the issues but just curious what folks have seen/experienced in the past.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Mostly wifi related IIRC, but I personally didn't have any issues with mine which worked quite well. But definitely nothing like the wide variety of issues being seen with the SP4.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's always problems, issues, etc. regardless. Of course every once in a while we get a large scale issue like the so called Antennagate or Palm's oreo-slider issues, but for the most part the things are fine. There may be a tendency to certain issues, but problems are exaggerated here since people rarely think to Google how well their device is working.

But know I don't have a finger on the Pro 4 forums so I can't judge entirely, so if we're looking at a huge thread of the same problem then... but still, the good typically outweigh the bad in most situations. Of course, waiting for things to be fixed could be fine - see the minor Nexus 4 (or was it the 5?) adjustments mid-cycle.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue I had with the Surface Pro 3 unit I had for a couple of weeks was WIFI dropping. The SP3 also shipped with more mature software, Windows 8.1

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There were heat issues and throttling with the I7 models. Not sure but feels like the SP4 has more bumps, but maybe it's just hitting a wider audience now so the population of problems is larger. Still tend to think I should wait for things to cool down a touch and see if the bugs are either something to live with or get ironed out.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I could be wrong but I'm thinking most of the reported problems are Windows 10 related more so than the SP4. I'm guessing things will smooth out after a few updates (which shouldn't need to happen).

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I updated my SP3 to Windows 10 and it was basically unusable. That was an official release too. I would bet that is the problem.

I got launch SP3 and had no problems really, other than the "always connected" feature not working properly. The fan in my sP3 was frequent and loud. I find it convenient that has happened again with SP4. All the talk from Microsoft is that the fan is whisper quiet and never kicks on. Not for me. Its a jet engine 24/7. And SP4 for me gets 4.5 battery life normally. My SP3 I remember getting about 7 hours from the get go (100% brightness, while doing work).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99