Excessive battery drain from basic web browsing - anyone else?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 2 hours on a full charge, browsing the web using Edge. Fan seems to kick on often like something is running, but when I check Task Manager there's nothing...

With my Pro 3 I'd get around 4-5 hours of web browsing.

Anyone else?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Use chrome and get an m3 been up with heavy use online doing a PowerPoint for 1 hr 45 min and still have 67%, you need to tweak the power settings I have one called "battery max"... the m3 can be tweaked to get what they say the i5 not so much

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Use chrome and get an m3 been up with heavy use online doing a PowerPoint for 1 hr 45 min and still have 67%, you need to tweak the power settings I have one called "battery max"... the m3 can be tweaked to get what they say the i5 not so much

Hmm, I have the i5 model. I didn't have this issue with my Pro 3.

I don't care for Chrome, but I do notice it's a bit better when I use Firefox over Edge, which is surprising.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
All I know is the i5s in the Microsoft store and there were six of them (all the same apart from type cover) ..three had issues (freezing, disconnect from cursor, error message) . Now of course those were in heavy use and pre-release demo ones but that cannot just be coincidence, three with issues that is 50%....I almost walked out dissapointed but after several hours figured the pre-production demo was part of it and the i5 the other..so went m3.

I think the deal is in the mobile versions of the i series...the i7 gets love so does the m3..its almost as if the i5 is for the masses and the quality is in the other two processors..that is just my opinion but based on actual usage too of both the i5 and the m3 and reading a lot of reviews... yo typically hear i5 has issues the i 7s do not. I love the i5 on my Desktop and my son's SP3 i5 works great but there is something about the i5/SP4 mix that is no bueno.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Bat Saver.jpgbattlife.jpg

Just charged mine overnight and came to a 100%. What I noticed is that, the time ''remaining'' keeps jumping, its annoying.

batt2.jpg

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have i5/8/256 (second one, returned the first one after it being basically unusable), and using Chrome Canary I get 5-7 hours, depending on screen brightness and what else am I doing. Can't complain too much as that was my expectation. The 2nd Surface never gets hot, fans never come on, and I'm a happy camper. There are other issues like sleep-wake up, Edge funny colors and display driver crashes, but as long as I don't touch it, I'm good.

On a side note, to attribute any issues to i5 CPU vs i7 or m3, or to say that i5 is somehow lower quality is downright funny :confused:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 2 hours on a full charge, browsing the web using Edge. Fan seems to kick on often like something is running, but when I check Task Manager there's nothing...

With my Pro 3 I'd get around 4-5 hours of web browsing.

Anyone else?

Did you try installing ad fender to block ads on edge?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Installed hosts file and man what a difference! Before the hosts file using Edge I'd get estimated 2-3 hrs of battery life, now with the ad blocking host file it's estimating 5-6 hrs!

miso15

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Got the same problem, fan keeps running and overheating.. not happy with SP4. It's my first time buying Surface product, not a good experience at all.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I would ignore the time remaining calculation. It fluctuates too much. You're best bet is to look at the data in the battery reports and extrapolate. I'm not using Edge to browse. I use Chrome with Ghostery and Ad-Block plus. I go somewhere between 4 and 6 hours, depending on what else is happening in the background. 6 is stretching it. 4.5 to 5 is more realistic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12