Custom Power Plans - Eliminate Fan Noise?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Below is a link to a thread over at TabletPCReview which is probably worth reading. It gives some ideas on how to use advanced power management features to reduce fan noise, if it's an issue for you when plugged in. I think I'll play around this :) Overall, the entire thread is probably worth reading/following.

Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread | Page 72 | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News
Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread | Page 77 | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
What is your System Cooling Policy set at? Mine is Passive for both Battery and Plugged-In. The author of the post said his SP4 came with it set to Active for Plugged-In, which might explain why he had more fan noise initially?

I disabled CS (Connected StandBy) for now and will play around with different settings. Note though, I haven't had any major issues with fan noise thus far. I've sitting here for a few hours now watching the Green Bay/Denver game with the SP4 plugged in. No fan no, no heat, although I do see the CPU go up to 2.8 from time to time.

Another tool one might try to use is the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
When you have Connected Standby turned off, how is your battery consumption in Standby? Is there any reason not to turn it off? How do you do it?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I turned off CS to modify the power schemes, and then turned it back on. To turn off CS, set the following to 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

Reboot, and you'll now find you have more options in your power schemes, and can create new ones. Alternatively, you can keep CS on, and modify power schemes using the powercfg command.

I'm more interested in making sure that passive is used as the system cooling policy while plugged in, and to be able to create power plans with reduced max CPU.

Alternatively, one can do something similar with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility by undervolting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans