SP4 i5 display driver bug

flyadan59

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm enjoying my sp4 a lot, but have one bug that seems to always happen multiple times a day. I will be scrolling through whatever website I'm on and my screen will stop responding. Then a second later an error message saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has restarted" then browsing will be fine for a while. Anyone else experience this.

i5 256gb if that matters..... and I just got that error message while writing that last bit....haha

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used Edge all that much, but will do so more tonight now that I've updated the hosts file to eliminate ads. I have used it some, but haven't encountered any sort of display driver error. I primarily use Chrome.

I've read elsewhere that some people are having lucking resetting the image for their SP4. You can get the image from here.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ry%2Fdownloadablerecoveryimage&token=Ul6tjx44

I find it interesting that some people are having all sorts of problems, and others aren't. It makes we wonder if the SP4s were shipped with different images. One example is that my SP was shipped to use Passive cooling for both battery and plugged in, where as another had his shipped with Active while plugged in, causing the fan to kick in more.

flyadan59

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
They may have been because this has been happening since day one and I have been waiting to see if anyone else had the issue before I posted. I'll try resetting the image. Granted if its NOT that big of a deal..

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, when you get a chance, can you open powershell and type "powercfg /q". This will output the settings of your current power scheme. I'm interested in the following section. The below is from my work laptop, which is setup for Active for both Plugged In and Battery. For my SP4, it was set to Passive for both.

Power Setting GUID: 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f (System cooling policy)
GUID Alias: SYSCOOLPOL
Possible Setting Index: 000
Possible Setting Friendly Name: Passive
Possible Setting Index: 001
Possible Setting Friendly Name: Active
Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000001
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000001

flyadan59

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, when you get a chance, can you open powershell and type "powercfg /q". This will output the settings of your current power scheme. I'm interested in the following section. The below is from my work laptop, which is setup for Active for both Plugged In and Battery. For my SP4, it was set to Passive for both.

Power Setting GUID: 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f (System cooling policy)
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000001
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

Yup, that's what I suspected. We have a mix of users getting the AC Power set to Active, while another set (like me) having it set to Passive! This explains why some here the fan more while plugged in, than others.

Because Connected Standby is turned on, you can't edit the power scheme in Windows. However, you can use powercfg commands to directly set that item to 0 and use Passive while plugged in. I can send more details later on how to do that if interested.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn't having it set to "Active" when plugged in be a better solution than Passive? Sure, the fan would run more, but it would also keep the system cooler.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Not from what a few others are posting on the firmware threads.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mine is. I did a full restore and have no 3rd party apps installed. The speaker pop is still there, but its meh on my annoyance scale.

dasfoto

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I use both edge and ie so I don't recall if it happens with only edge. It does happen a lot. Even after the latest display driver update. Oh, and I also have i5 256 SP4. I also have problems with the start up of both edge and IE. Each time I open the browsers, it takes like ten to fifteen seconds before the pages will open. Once open, though, they seem to be okay.

Last edited:

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I started using Chrome a few days ago, which I have never used before, and have not had any display driver fails while browsing. Using Edge I get frequent fails. I'm going to stick with Chrome until an update resolves this issue with my SP4 and Edge.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Chrome crashes on me several times a day. I am not positive, but I suspect that is also because of the video driver. Just a different manifestation of the same problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs