Fragile pen tip...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution - especially those who have young children that 'like to color and paint' on the SP4... The tip of the Surface Pro 4 Pen is pretty fragile, my youngest dropped it on the ground yesterday and I noticed this morning that the black part covering the pen 'tip' is ripped and broken...

I ordered the pen tip pack to see if that would help. Who knows when that will come in though...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Regardless - those of us that have young children should know that even a simple drop could damage the tip of the pen. Which means it's fragile. It still works, but I didn't expect a simple drop to cause that much cosmetic damage to the pen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Regardless - those of us that have young children should know that even a simple drop could damage the tip of the pen. Which means it's fragile. It still works, but I didn't expect a simple drop to cause that much cosmetic damage to the pen.

Well, I think the problem here isn't the pen but the child in the mix. (OK, it's the pen too - drops aren't exactly a hard science...)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I bring it up because calling something a 'pen' even if it is a really hi-tech one implies that it is a little more sturdy than other items.

Yes, the point of the fact is - 'Don't drop it.' But, now there might be more reason for people to be a little more cautious with them.

Just sharing my own struggles so far ;)

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Go to any microsoft store, over half the pen tips will be mangled/bent. This was true of the NYC flagship store which has only been open about 1 week!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. My pen fell today. I made nothing of it at the time. Just clipped it back on.

Later when I whipped it out to use it, I realized it was not working. The tip is bent and the black part covering the tip is peeling off.

Very disappointed.

Now I have to whip out 60 bucks for a new pen.

Positive side. Now I get to chose a different color pen and it comes with a pen tip kit.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just a word of caution - especially those who have young children that 'like to color and paint' on the SP4... The tip of the Surface Pro 4 Pen is pretty fragile, my youngest dropped it on the ground yesterday and I noticed this morning that the black part covering the pen 'tip' is ripped and broken...

I ordered the pen tip pack to see if that would help. Who knows when that will come in though...

Does the pen tip work?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, my pen works. Hopefully the new pen tips come in at some point from Amazon... I'll still keep checking Best Buy if they have any available if I need too...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

You have some nerve saying anything that is not glowing about anything Surface-related. Be prepared to be scolded... oops, too late.:wink:

Seriously though, it's a good reminder to all that the active pen (any active stylus) is a delicate and precision instrument. Everyone with kids should have a stack of buck-a-bunch rubber-tipped styli in assorted colors on hand for them. Give 'em little stickers so that they can personalize them and make it their own. :grin:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you must have a good pen technology for kids, get an old Surface Pro 1 or Surface Pro 2 machine. They come with the great WACOM technology (which I still feel is better than N-Trig). The pens are readily available and they're really durable. They don't use any batteries. You can buy any WACOM pen and have it work with the SP1 or SP2 (well, except that new pen line that's meant for capacitive screens (read: trying to catch the Apple money that Apple fans always drop) and aren't really WACOM technology). People have bought pens that were meant for Samsung devices and used them successfuly on the older Surface Pro machines. For my SP2 machines, I have a wide variety of pens (stocked up on them in case I lost the original) and the price ranged from a few dollars to the most expensive one at $40.

And they won't have to touch your new SP4!

Zoidbjorg

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
No not fine, every pen they offered me in windows store today had busted tip. I asked why and the sales people told me "people are using them" really... who would've thought.

I asked I wanted to try out for professional painting, they didn't even bother putting on a new tip.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
heh. I just pulled out the "broken" tip. Flipped that bad boy around. Works great now

P. S. Still ordered the pen tip. Kit It's just $10.00. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs