What is the best way to fully backup the Surface Pro 4? Does it work all the time?

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have been an Apple user for many years. It is very easy and reliable to backup and restore the entire system or transfer everything including settings to a new machine. I also use Windows but based on my experience, I cannot find of a reliable way to backup/restore/transfer the system. In the past, I used Norton Ghost but sometimes I had problems in restoring the systems. So, I just dragged and dropped files in My Documents to HD. On the Mac, I just use Winclone to clone the Windows partition perfectly.

What is the best way to backup/restore/clone the entire SP4 system? Does it work all the time? Thanks.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Acronis is good. it basically takes a screen shot of your computer and restores it as is. Obviously the more programs and stuff you have installed the bigger the image and the longer it will take to restore. You will also have to be continuously be updating the image as well as time progresses and you install/update/change doucments/settings etc.

Another option is to use "File History" built into windows.

Just search for it in the search bar.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just set up FILE HISTORY to my NAS seems to be flawless...I don't think imaging makes sense in a world where windows is a constantly updating service. Data backup does make sense File History does a great job of regular data backup. I also use OneDrive for my current work files for quick recovery when I set up One Drive folders. Just remember windows is a service...data is forever.

3-2-1

kjparfekt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
now a days with settings saved with apple accounts and microsoft accounts I only worry about my photos and files with one drive, google drive, etc. Definitely going to look into an external backup hard drive asap.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
What is the best way to fully backup the Surface Pro 4? Does it work all the ...

Windows 10 has two main ways to do a backup: System Image and File History. I use both.
System Image takes a full snapshot of your entire disk drive. It is useful if you have to replace your hard drive or the entire device for a similar one and you don't want to waste time reinstalling all the software. File History doesn't backup your programs, just data files. But it does it continuously. You can restore all files or individual files. It even stores many versions of the same file (that's why it's called History).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all. So, using System Image and File History, along with Acronis True Image 2016 would be the safest way. Given that Windows 10 just came out, do you know how reliable are System Image and File History are? Have they been around since Windows 8? As for Acronis True Image, few years ago some people recommended it but others failed to restore their systems. Is the 2016 version reliable? How effective are these three approaches if we change the platform, say from SP4 to SP5, SP4 to Surface Book or SP4 to a desktop PC or laptops from other manufacturers?

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
What is the best way to fully backup the Surface Pro 4? Does it work all the ...

File History was first introduced in Windows 8. System Image in Windows 7.
Restoring the system image to a different type of hardware is not recommended and is not officially supported. Even if it were possible, I wouldn't do it. Too many things may go wrong at the driver level and with some previously installed software. Whenever I get a new computer I use it as an excuse to re-install and update all the software and to get rid of any outdated stuff I no longer need. Once everything is installed and configured to my liking, I then make a system image and store it in a safe place in case my system ever fails.

No problem restoring files from the File History backup to a new computer.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: What is the best way to fully backup the Surface Pro 4? Does it work all the ...

Don't do acronis use built in tools (recovery drive, File history, System Image, OneDrive and Restore points or some combo of such) on SP4

Less is more 3-2-1

3 copies of every piece of important data at all times
2 Different media types
1 Offsite

MY advice which I mostly follow:

1. System Image when new (optional ,I don't do this and don't ever do junked up images)
2. Recovery drive 16GB when new/Restore point too 10%
3. File History (1 month retention)
4. Another recovery drive once fully configured/Restore point too
5. One drive for off site redundancy of work files and shared files (quick recovery from anywhere)
6. From File History archive (NAS) occasionally burn Verbatim BDR of most important data (Kids pictures etc) on another computer that has a burner. Store offsite (Bank, family)

On Road work data...

SP4 Data ----(Bvckup2)---- Onedrive folder-------ONEDRIVE------- Desktop Onedrive folder ---(FH)----NAS

Then when at home :

SP4----(FH)----NAS

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: What is the best way to fully backup the Surface Pro 4? Does it work all the ...

File History was first introduced in Windows 8. System Image in Windows 7.
Restoring the system image to a different type of hardware is not recommended and is not officially supported. Even if it were possible, I wouldn't do it. Too many things may go wrong at the driver level and with some previously installed software. Whenever I get a new computer I use it as an excuse to re-install and update all the software and to get rid of any outdated stuff I no longer need. Once everything is installed and configured to my liking, I then make a system image and store it in a safe place in case my system ever fails.

No problem restoring files from the File History backup to a new computer.

Thanks. What if we want to upgrade to the next version of Windows (Windows 11?) on the SP4? On the Mac, we just hit the update button and everything is automatic and things work out fine.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. What if we want to upgrade to the next version of Windows (Windows 11?) on the SP4? On the Mac, we just hit the update button and everything is automatic and things work out fine.

There will be no Windows 11! At least not any time soon. Microsoft said Windows 10 is the last Windows version. From now on it's automatic continuous updates. :)

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't make full image backups, but I do backup all my files via Bittorrent Sync over my little server that sits in my livingroom (an i3 with a huge HD and Plex running 24/7). I use BTsync to version all my files and keep my desktop and surface and phones all in sync. I also like that it has versioning and placeholders for files if I don't want to sync the entire share over. I know it's not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd let you know of the option for backing up files and also let others know. It's been fairly useful for me for a while! I even installed it on my Banana Pi and Raspberry Pi before I had my server! haha. Transfers were slower, but they did the job. The issue then was restoring the data because of network speed over a Raspberry Pi was horribly slow. Haha.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have been an Apple user for many years. It is very easy and reliable to backup and restore the entire system or transfer everything including settings to a new machine. I also use Windows but based on my experience, I cannot find of a reliable way to backup/restore/transfer the system. In the past, I used Norton Ghost but sometimes I had problems in restoring the systems. So, I just dragged and dropped files in My Documents to HD. On the Mac, I just use Winclone to clone the Windows partition perfectly.

What is the best way to backup/restore/clone the entire SP4 system? Does it work all the time? Thanks.

Good: Windows Backup and Restore
Better: Clonezilla
Best: Guymager

Guymager will give you the most complete disk clone but for most general purposes is overkill.
After you have setup your system and installed your software you should make a Clonezilla image. Afterwards your personal files can be backed up separately so that you aren't wasting disk storage maintaining duplicate OS/Software data.

Rambolator

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I used Acronis True Image 2016, unfortunately the restore function does not work. It does not recognize Surface Pro 4 hard drive.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to do an image backup, but I stopped. If I have an issue that I need to restore, I re-install Windows from media. That said, I use the following:

• File History.
  • Onedrive - I have everything important saved locally and in the cloud - mostly business documents and photos.
  • Backblaze - I prefer BB over Carbonite as it backups up more file types by default, including .net project files. Since I'm mobile a few times a week, BB is always backing up documents.

I've had to rebuild twice over the past few years and the above allowed me to rebuild 100% with minimal downtime and no loss of data.

lisja4ij1

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
There are plenty backup software that support almost all device storage you just need to pick the best, simple ye? Not so long time ago i face the similar issue and just typed in Google for "comparison review of the best 5 backup and recovery tools 2017" in google, top 3 results:

The first result Comparison Review of the Best 5 Backup and Recovery Tools 2017 – Coupon Codes, Discounts and Promo Codes upto 80% OFF

1) Norton by Symantec Security Premium
2) Novastor NovaBACKUP 18 PC
3) Laplink DiskImage
4) Genie Timeline Pro 2016
5) Ashampoo Backup Pro 10

The second result The Best 5 Backup & Recovery Software 2017 Comparison Review

1) Acronis True Image 2017
2) Paragon Backup and Recovery 16
3) EaseUs Todo Backup Home 9
4) Carbonite Cloud Backup Plus
5) StorageCraft ShadowProtect

The third result The Best Data Backup Software of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews

1) Novastor NovaBACKUP 18 PC
2) Acronis True Image 2017
3) EaseUs Todo Backup Home 9
4) AOMEI Backupper
5) Macrium Reflect

So looks like that from 3 independent comparisons Acronis is a leader. What do you think and what is your real experience with backup software 2017

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720