Surface Pro 4 is painful to use

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I find it pretty disappointing and surprising that a machine where hardware and software come from the same source don't work correctly from the beginning. Everybody praises the build quality of the sp 4 but it's so buggy and hard to use? I just wanted to order a sp 4 but i think i will wait.
My sp 2 and windows 10 work perfectly together. So i am more than surprised to read all these comments.
No lumia 950 because it looks boring and no sp 4 because i am too much of a technology-retard to cope with so many issues. I am sad :(

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I've had a Surface RT since launch and the Surface Pro 4 has been a night mare --- and Windows 10 is not the issue. I run it on 3 other systems with basically no issues. The Surface Pro 4's woes seem to stem form poor drivers --- most likely the Intel HD 520 graphics driver. The driver crashes during every uses, the touch screen capability fails, the device some times fails to wake up from sleep --- it's on but the screen is blank.

Being that it's software related, I want to wait it out, but I will probably be returning mine before the 26th. I'm also considering the Surface Book after getting to give it a go in person...so either way, I'll be waiting until these driver issues get corrected.

I find it pretty disappointing and surprising that a machine where hardware and software come from the same source don't work correctly from the beginning. Everybody praises the build quality of the sp 4 but it's so buggy and hard to use? I just wanted to order a sp 4 but i think i will wait.
My sp 2 and windows 10 work perfectly together. So i am more than surprised to read all these comments.
No lumia 950 because it looks boring and no sp 4 because i am too much of a technology-retard to cope with so many issues. I am sad :(

In Microsoft's defense, the Skylake processor & GPU is brand new and it comes from Intel, another company.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Also, returning it would be an issue for me because I travel for work in areas that rarely have Microsoft stores.

I forgot to mention that Internet connection and speeds are horrendous despite my fast access. On all my other devices the Internet is just quick to load pages and app content. This is probably the worst problem with my SP4.
Since you have older Surface's, hopefully you have a W8.1 recovery drive lying around. For "grins and giggles", have you tried loading Windows 8.1 on the SP4? You won't get the "Hello" or some of the newest features, but you might end up with a stable device... It could be a nice experiment, and something to report back with if it works.

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I would try resetting the Surface completely, and then apply all the updates. I did a reset several days ago for fun and I haven't had any driver errors while using Edge, no BSODs, etc. I've never had an issue with the touchscreen not responding, and I do use the Surface as a tablet quite often.

I took your advice and reset the SP4 completely and added all the updates. And both times my touchscreen and keyboard just stopped working completely. I would then hard reset and it would immediately get locked up again. So the third time I totally reset I did not apply the updates and at least I am able to use the device. So the updates are doing something strange to the device. I guess I will wait until the update comes out on Thursday and apply them all and see what happens.

kjparfekt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I must be having graphic driver issues too. I thought the last update fixed them but it didn't fully. My screen started flickering out of no where about an hour ago then the program I was in shut down and the issue went away. I'm on the boarder between returning my SP4 to Microsoft before 30 days or keeping it and hoping the bugs work out.

It's a tough decision. $1400 is a good amount of money like people have said to have something that has problems. That being said, I love the form factor. I feel like I can type on this as fast as any laptop I've ever owned. I love the multiple angles of the kickstand (currently typing on my lap). The pen is actually surprising useful considering I don't draw and my handwriting is marginal at best. One Note has been a step in the right direction over Evernote. Last and likely the thing I would miss the most if I switch to a MacBook Pro is the touch screen. I'm getting to the point where reaching for the screen is becoming instinctual. I rarely use the SP4 in tablet mode but that seems like it could come in handy at some points especially if I end up travelling ever.

The biggest negative I see is that I still reach for my iPad mini frequently. Along those lines, I love when texts and even better calls show up on my iPad. The ecosystem draw is a still huge even though I'm finding myself using a variation of Apple, Google and Microsoft Apps in my daily life.

I feel like this is a wait one more week and check back in situation for me.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I would return it and get a new one. Have you checked the event viewer or reliability monitor? I guess I am lucky. My experience has been quite nice so far.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I love when texts and even better calls show up on my iPad..

You'll be glad to know that the November Update (TH2) brings this functionality. You can text directly from Cortana on your Windows 10 system and missed calls will show in the Action / Notification Center. Of course you'll need to install Cortana on your mobile device. Currently available in beta for Android & iOS. I use it with my Android device personally.

Last edited:

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing loud noise coming from the fan inside?? When it turns on, it literally turns on and makes buzzing noise like its a freezer.

sadievan

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
For those of you that are exchanging your SP4's, are you wiping the device before returning it? Or are you leaving it as is and asking them to wipe it while you are there?

freetail

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if many of you are on the Insider programme, but I'm running the latest (albeit on an SP3 whilst I wait for my SP4 to arrive) and the OS is now noticeably more stable, slicker and loaded with more features and finishing touches. It's due out for public release soon so see if that makes a difference. You could also try a soft reset too (not a refresh, unless you want to install all your desktop apps again). Shut down the computer by holding the power button for 30secs. Then press power and volume up at the same time, for at least 15secs. Then press power to restart. May help??? If not, then return.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
For those of you that are exchanging your SP4's, are you wiping the device before returning it? Or are you leaving it as is and asking them to wipe it while you are there?

I'd hope that everyone is resetting the device to factory settings themselves. It's fairly easy.

Not sure if many of you are on the Insider programme, but I'm running the latest (albeit on an SP3 whilst I wait for my SP4 to arrive) and the OS is now noticeably more stable, slicker and loaded with more features and finishing touches. It's due out for public release soon so see if that makes a difference. You could also try a soft reset too (not a refresh, unless you want to install all your desktop apps again). Shut down the computer by holding the power button for 30secs. Then press power and volume up at the same time, for at least 15secs. Then press power to restart. May help??? If not, then return.

TH2 / November Update (1511) released to the general public yesterday (11/12/15). Doesn't resolve any driver issues which is the biggest issue for me.

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

I spent the last few days in frustration with the SP4. I started the week off by returning and exchanging my first SP4 only to have the exact same issues with the second SP4. On yesterday after installing the latest updates, my SP4 was unusable. The touch screen and keyboard would freeze up within 30 seconds after it started up. I reset at least 3 times to no avail. I had pretty much decided to return my SP4 today and consider other options. I then saw your post and decided to give it a try. Well, to my surprise, it has made a difference and my touchscreen and keyboard has worked ever since the soft reset. To be honest, I remain skeptical and won't get too excited unless I can finally use this device the way I intended when I purchased it. I expect bugs but I when you can't use the device at all then it becomes more than adjusting for being an early adopter of a new product.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I spent the last few days in frustration with the SP4. I started the week off by returning and exchanging my first SP4 only to have the exact same issues with the second SP4. On yesterday after installing the latest updates, my SP4 was unusable. The touch screen and keyboard would freeze up within 30 seconds after it started up. I reset at least 3 times to no avail. I had pretty much decided to return my SP4 today and consider other options. I then saw your post and decided to give it a try. Well, to my surprise, it has made a difference and my touchscreen and keyboard has worked ever since the soft reset. To be honest, I remain skeptical and won't get too excited unless I can finally use this device the way I intended when I purchased it. I expect bugs but I when you can't use the device at all then it becomes more than adjusting for being an early adopter of a new product.

Let me guess..i5

sadievan

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd hope that everyone is resetting the device to factory settings themselves. It's fairly easy.

I've reset it and installed some of my programs back. I'm just not sure if my problems will show up without my programs, etc. installed. If I do have to leave things on to be able to show them, I will make sure they wipe it in front of me. I did take a video with my phone of the problems I'm having.

TH2 / November Update (1511) released to the general public yesterday (11/12/15). Doesn't resolve any driver issues which is the biggest issue for me.

I haven't gotten the update yet.

Edit: Just called my local store and they assured me that if I have to exchange my unit they will wipe it in front of me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon