Windows Hello behavior changed for the worse after Fall update?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone notice that the fall update has made Windows hello a bit less convenient?

Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible since sleep is so messed up on the SP4s anyway), prior to the update when waking the computer using the power button the Surface would automatically lift the lock screen when it saw my face. Now it requires me to swipe up. I'm disappointed by this change. It made sense that if the user pushed the button and showed their face the system would treat the lock screen as unnecessary and understand that the user wants to log in.

Why do so many of Microsoft's updates remove handy features?

UPDATE: I have figured out that it will not lift the lock-screen automatically with windows hello if the computer is not locked (just asleep). So a solution is to require sign-in every time and Windows hello will lift the lock screen every time. I'm not sure that's really faster since it requires the additional signing-in time.

Last edited:

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Hello behavior changed for the worse after Fall update

Has anyone notice that the fall update has made Windows hello a bit less convenient? Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible since sleep is so messed up on the SP4s anyway), prior to the update when waking the computer using the power button the Surface would automatically lift the lock screen when it saw my face. Now it requires me to swipe up. I'm disappointed by this change. It made sense that if the user pushed the button and showed their face the system would treat the lock screen as unnecessary and understand that the user wants to log in.

Just ditch the lock screen problem solved

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that the lock-screen is only automatically 'lifted' if the computer is locked. I had my computer set to only require sign-in after 15 minutes. By setting it to require sign-in every time, it always lifts the lock screen when it sees my face. It's silly that it works that way but there's one solution.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If this bothers you (like me) please vote for this Feedback:
Windows-Feedback:?contextid=66&feedbackid=657259ab-29a5-4310-9bcd-6724855c914f&form=1&src=2

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone notice that the fall update has made Windows hello a bit less convenient?

Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible since sleep is so messed up on the SP4s anyway), prior to the update when waking the computer using the power button the Surface would automatically lift the lock screen when it saw my face. Now it requires me to swipe up. I'm disappointed by this change. It made sense that if the user pushed the button and showed their face the system would treat the lock screen as unnecessary and understand that the user wants to log in.

UPDATE: I have figured out that it will not lift the lock-screen automatically with windows hello if the computer is not locked (just asleep). So a solution is to require sign-in every time and Windows hello will lift the lock screen every time. I'm not sure that's really faster since it requires the additional signing-in time.

It does not lift the lock screen when you sign in "too quickly" .

What I mean is, if you wake up the compute and it sees you instantly, it won't dismiss the screen.

However, wake up the computer and give it a couple seconds before looking at the camera... It will dismiss the screen automatically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss