Is it worth waiting for the 1TB?

pratishk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a surface one and its time to upgrade. Getting the SP4 but wondered if anyone has the 1TB version and/or is it worth waiting, or just buy a decent SD card?

My issue is 128gb on my original surface was way too little storage as I always want a physical copy of my OneDrive on it.

Any thoughts/comments?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on you - 256 GB is enough for my stuff + external hard drive.

A decent SD card can work fine if its enough for you.

120 is too small for me, but 256 is roomy enough - it really depends on you. If I were to go back to when I got my computer - I wouldn't buy a 500 GB model.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Depends on you - 256 GB is enough for my stuff + external hard drive.

A decent SD card can work fine if its enough for you.

120 is too small for me, but 256 is roomy enough - it really depends on you. If I were to go back to when I got my computer - I wouldn't buy a 500 GB model.

I'd agree with this. 256GB is a great for my needs. I don't think I'd ever get to the point of needing even 512GB, and if it was neccesary I'd rather just use the SD expansion.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree with this. 256GB is a great for my needs. I don't think I'd ever get to the point of needing even 512GB, and if it was neccesary I'd rather just use the SD expansion.

Obligatory "256 GB ought to be enough for anybody" :)

But yea, I'm comfortable with 256, and that's what matters. I had a 120 GB SSD a while back and it was a pain trying to cram everything I needed in.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a surface one and its time to upgrade. Getting the SP4 but wondered if anyone has the 1TB version and/or is it worth waiting, or just buy a decent SD card?

My issue is 128gb on my original surface was way too little storage as I always want a physical copy of my OneDrive on it.

Any thoughts/comments?

A lot depends on whether they fix OneDrive so it works again like it did on Windows 8. I had a 128gb 2 in 1 with Windows 8 and it was enough space because all my files were in OneDrive and I could see them. With Windows 10, you can now only see the files you have synced, which meant I had to go to 256gb on my Surface Pro 4.

That said, SD Cards are an option, though if the 1TB is in your budget, I'd probably go that route.

pratishk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all,Yes that was my worry - the new way one-drive only allows viewing of those files synchronised.I have been looking at large capacity micro sd cards, and the 200gb sandisk is 130GBP - the cost difference of a 512 and 1TB in USD is 500USD - so I am assuming it could be about 3-500GBP for the UK as we seem to always have to pay more!Anyhow, it could mean - I could get up to 1.2GB for about the same price - and get it now... rather than wait for when the 1TB finally makes our shores. Sometime in January at the least...Hmmm.. will think some more...

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Any thoughts/comments?

Come on dude? Only YOU can decide how much storage you need.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Any thoughts/comments?

Be prepared to re mortgage your house! 1TB on a Surface Pro 4. Makes my eyes water to think of the cost. Its also a MASSIVE jump from 128GB to 1TB. Ouch.
Any idea of the total package cost? Maybe 3,500€+? I guess if you have the finance and need the storage, needs must!

Ryland

pratishk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Agree excalibur1814.

Just wanted to hear what others were doing and hear their ideas.

The reason for the massive jump? note I was on Surface Pro 1, bought the largest hard disc space then and wanted to future proof my surface for a few years yet and as I have two OneDrives (one personal, one work) with about 256gb together right now, wanted to try to future proof my purchase.

I can justify the cost if it means I do not buy again, say until surface book 4?! ��

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
The US price is $2,699.00 (i7/16GB/1TB). That's a $900 premium compared to $1,799.00 (i7/16GB/256GB).

Hi, That would be in the USA. WE should be so lucky to get those low prices here in Europe! :unhappy:
To give you an idea the most basic MSSP4 sells at 999.00€!

Best wishes, Ryland

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
My desktop has something like 10 TB of hard drive space. So I use that for storage and backups. The thought of the cost of a 1TB SP4 boggles my mind, I cant imagine being able to justify that cost for my personal use.

My SP2 w/ 128 GB HD and 64 GB microSD card was a bit tight, but 256 GB HD w/ 128 GB microSD card is more than enough for my SP4.

pratishk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
WildKarrde - good point, my surface is my only PC at home - and my NAS as a backup but the more I think about it the more the costs of the 1TB is putting me off!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos