Surface pro 4 I7 shipping

ddelu8164

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I received my i7 model yesterday. Had an issue after loading the initial updates. It ran extremely slow and was almost non-responsive. After doing a full reset then downloading all current updates, it runs like a champ. Have not had a chance to check battery life but everything else is great. I use Firefox and occasionally get a Flash related warning which stops it from running but it recovers every time. This i7 has not had any crashes and no video driver issues. Will post any problems that come up but so far so good. I am a Windows Insider (fast ring) and I have all their latest downloads. I give this model a thumbs up (so far).

Rayaarito

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I received my i7 model yesterday. Had an issue after loading the initial updates. It ran extremely slow and was almost non-responsive. After doing a full reset then downloading all current updates, it runs like a champ. Have not had a chance to check battery life but everything else is great. I use Firefox and occasionally get a Flash related warning which stops it from running but it recovers every time. This i7 has not had any crashes and no video driver issues. Will post any problems that come up but so far so good. I am a Windows Insider (fast ring) and I have all their latest downloads. I give this model a thumbs up (so far).

Hey, if it's possible can you do this for us i5 users:

From a complete shut down boot it and time it with:
a) Keyboard attached and SP in normal lap top position
b) Keyboard attached but folded behind the SP
c) Keyboard not attached

If it's like the i5 model, then b would take 2+ minutes to boot.

ddelu8164

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Rayaarito, I did two types of reboots for you. One was the restart method and the other the boot up from a complete shut down. I use a password so figure in the time it takes for me to type my password in (about 5 seconds). I did not deduct for that. Using restart: a)58 sec b)1:49 c)1:03. From a complete shutdown: a)46 sec b)1:12 sec c)47 sec. These times are all rough times and definitely not very scientific and I'm sure there would be some variation if I did it multiple times. For this forum though, I think it's sufficient. You can see it doesn't particularly like it when the keyboard is folded back for some reason. I will use mine either with it or without, hardly ever in the folded back position.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey, if it's possible can you do this for us i5 users:

From a complete shut down boot it and time it with:
a) Keyboard attached and SP in normal lap top position
b) Keyboard attached but folded behind the SP
c) Keyboard not attached

If it's like the i5 model, then b would take 2+ minutes to boot.

Here are my boot time results (i7/16/512 with almost no software installed). From pressing the button until desktop shows up, logging in via Windows Hello:

a) 16 seconds
b) 55 seconds (Type cover folded back)
c) 16 seconds

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
How is the fan situation with the i7? Mine is on the way and I am hoping that the i7 16gb won't be noisy.....

Rarely get to hear it (but I am not running anything CPU intensive). Not too noisy when it's running. Though it didn't bother me on the i5 model either, so I can't say it's any different.

ddelu7408

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
My i7 has had the fan running when doing updates. It never got hot and after having had a Surface Pro 3, this fan is considerably quieter.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My online MS Store order that was supposed to ship by the 20th still has not shipped yet. I'm going to call tomorrow. I think MS needs to rethink this whole "release everything at once strategy"... it seems to mean "release a quantity of 10 of everything at once, then allow months for restocks". VERY annoying.

Lake Wobegon

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
My online MS Store order that was supposed to ship by the 20th still has not shipped yet. I'm going to call tomorrow. I think MS needs to rethink this whole "release everything at once strategy"... it seems to mean "release a quantity of 10 of everything at once, then allow months for restocks". VERY annoying.

I'm in your situation Poddie. I called yesterday and asked. The guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I was going to try again today and was hoping to get somebody that had a clue.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually received mine today. No shipping notice. I really do feel like the online store is a disaster... but I am happy I received mine. My guess is that if I had called they would have had no idea that they already shipped it. Hopefully yours will arrive very soon.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Give them a call. Some stores got their first i7 shipments last week, but supply is very limited from what I was told.

I gave up and went to Best Buy and bought an i5 256/8GB. I decided I would give it a shot, save a few hundred bucks, and if it didn't do what I wanted I'd return it and spring for the i7. I suspect I was wildly overestimating how much machine I needed to do with it what I wanted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett