Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Any ideas?

wilson_smyth

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Getting the following error on my surface pro 4 today:

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The device locks up for a few seconds each time the error occurs & Its accompanied by the following error in the event viewer:

An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed.

I have not installed anything new in the past few days so unsure why this would suddenly start happening. Any ideas?

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Buggy Intel driver and/or Windows 10. Welcome to the club! Most of us are seeing the same issue. Some are affected more than others. I think it depends on what software or browser you are using.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

By the way, this problem is not unique to Surface or even the latest Intel chip-set. After some recent updates I started getting the same occasional video driver failure on my 2-year old Dell laptop. The good news is that in most cases it recovers without causing BSOD. I hope Intel and Microsoft will sort it out soon!

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

By the way, this problem is not unique to Surface or even the latest Intel chip-set. After some recent updates I started getting the same occasional video driver failure on my 2-year old Dell laptop. The good news is that in most cases it recovers without causing BSOD. I hope Intel and Microsoft will sort it out soon!

I agree. After the TH2 update, I "was" getting the same error daily on my Lenovo. However, I've since updated it with the latest beta drivers for the Intel adapter and haven't seen the crash since.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I also think I've had more of these since a big update a few days ago. :/

Display drivers for Win 10 have been a disaster for me. My desktop computer can't be used for gaming unless I keep NVidia drivers dating back to March installed and suppressing Windows update's attempts to convince me otherwise. So frustrating.

RichBrown68

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

I created a poll over on surfaceforums dot net, and 80% of people said that when they use a browser other than Edge, they do not experience the graphics-driver crashes. My personal theory is that the remaining 20% maybe didn't realize that Edge was open while they actively used another browser.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

I created a poll over on surfaceforums dot net, and 80% of people said that when they use a browser other than Edge, they do not experience the graphics-driver crashes. My personal theory is that the remaining 20% maybe didn't realize that Edge was open while they actively used another browser.
I think the problem is present with all the browsers, it just manifests differently with different browsers. For example with Chrome instead of the driver crash I get the browser crash.

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

I never use Edge. Got the crash twice with Opera and once with Firefox yesterday.

Just had another one while using Firefox. Only other app in the foreground was Adobe Reader. I didn't see any Edge process in task manager.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos