Surface Pro 4 fails to wake, needs reset

Cainer2

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Can someone please help me out with my SP4 please - I'm not sure if this is still a common issue with the SP4 but I've seen similar issues with the previous SP models when researching the symptoms.

Sometimes (not always), the Surface will not wake at all from sleep/hibernate (not sure which it state it has gotten to). I have to forcefully power off the device by holding the power button for 30 seconds, then turn it on normally again. When it comes back up, it acts like nothing happened and there is nothing in the machine logs.

I haven't noticed a definite pattern to what causes this but closing the type cover without turning off the screen first with the power button seems the most common way of causing it.

Ideas?

icy1211

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a known issue that a lot of people are experiencing. Read in another forum that pressing windows key + p twice works in getting the display to show up again.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Try removing the keyboard when you wake it up. I've seen that work for other users.

Yep, it pretty much always takes 2 minutes or more to wake from hibernation if the keyboard is attached. But if I detach it while "Surface" is on the screen it will usually start up right away.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Wake from sleep (and hibernation) is sort of a crapshoot as is the camera awaking for Hello in normal mode. My solution is to not let the USB hub save power and to shut the Surface down when I'm done (hit the power button).. That way the 16s boot is good every time. It saves time over rolling the dice is wake will work. If I forget to shut down and sleep instead it usually works (with the USB hub not powering down) ..so this is a good solution with pretty good consistent results..only very rarely do I have to do the long press reboot.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Totally glitchy as well for me on a Surface Pro 3. With TypeCover attached but flipped back, it takes about 5 seconds to wake. With it detatched or attached in laptop mode, it's instant.

And of course, sometimes it doesn't wake at all and needs a soft reset. You would think the Surface team would have at least gotten these basics right by now...

Cainer2

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone. MS really need to sort this it - I can't believe that on the Surface Pro's 4 gen this issue is still present. Some great ideas above. I'll try them out next time it happens. It can be rather awkward when in a meeting my SP doesn't wake immediately for me to take notes, pull up docs etc.

Cainer2

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, the Win+P didn't do it and neither did tearing off the keyboard :(

I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think its far less likely to do it if you use only the power button to wake and sleep the device. Using the keyboard to wake it or closing the keyboard to sleep it seems to bring it on.

Vinscuzzy - I may install the driver updates you linked to above, but shouldn't these have come down already via Win Update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo