Surface Pro 4 for university?

beng970804

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Hai, Im gonna study degree in software enginnering soon . Do u suggest i just get SP4 for my entire college life or i need a proper laptop for my college year? Does SP4 capable for various programming function/tools ? Thank in advance for anyone that help me.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hai, Im gonna study degree in software enginnering soon . Do u suggest i just get SP4 for my entire college life or i need a proper laptop for my college year? Does SP4 capable for various programming function/tools ? Thank in advance for anyone that help me.

SP4 is a PC so yea

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site

Hi. I would suggest for the subject you are going to study if you do decide on the Surface Pro 4 that you purchase one of the more powerful, i7 models. Failing that look at a decent ultra book or cheap but powerful lap top that you can change after two years.
In reality your options are numerous. If you have serious doubts perhaps a talk with one of your college teachers may be a good idea.

Good luck with your course. Remember with an education life is hard, without it life is even harder so pay attention and study!

Ryland.

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I like my SP4 but to be honest, I wouldn't get one for a college environment. I feel the Surface is too fragile and a sturdy laptop would better suit your needs and be a lot cheaper. A decent laptop would have more USB ports, a larger keyboard and a DVD drive if you choose. Just my opinion.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I like my SP4 but to be honest, I wouldn't get one for a college environment. I feel the Surface is too fragile and a sturdy laptop would better suit your needs and be a lot cheaper. A decent laptop would have more USB ports, a larger keyboard and a DVD drive if you choose. Just my opinion.

I absolutely agree on that. I remember my wild university days and i doubt a surface pro 4 would have been the right device. Not to mention the sky-high price of the most powerful surfaces which a future software engineer might need. And RicKaysen is right when he mentions the number of usb ports. You will miss them.
Personally i really like my surface pro 4 but it would not be satisfying as my one and only pc.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro 4 is perfect for college. I took a Surface Pro 2 through medical school. My undergrad was microbiology and molecular genetics with a minor in computer science. I wish I had the SP2 in undergrad. It's fast. I threw everything at it. I wish the SP4 was out back then because the larger screen would've helped (even though the SP4 is thinner and lighter than the SP2, I think the width and height of the SP4 actually makes it more unwieldy in certain situations than the SP2).

It's a perfect notetaking machine. Everything in lecture is now PDF or Powerpoint (or some alternative like Prezi). You can write directly on the PDF or the Powerpoint. PowerPoint also has that notes box underneath the slide so that you can type your notes into the Powerpoint. You can tag audio directly to the page so that you don't have to figure out what audio goes to what slide or page. OneNote indexes everything so it's very easy to move from topic to topic and find what you need to find. It also allows video, audio, etc. If you're going to be doing software engineering, you're going to be doing a #*%& ton of math. It's so easy to mix typing and writing with the Surface machines.

And for those that say "you can just type everything." Well, it's be documented in numerous studies and is well known in cognitive sciences and neurosciences how learning is much more powerful when you have extensive writing versus solely typing. It is much more efficient to transfer knowledge from short term to long term when you incorporate writing.

Sure, I saw a lot of people beside me slide by using their laptops for Google Docs and Facebook. And if you're one of those, you can get a good $500 laptop. And it really depends on the person and the true commitment. I see a $2500 MBP that some parent bought their kid and they only do web browsing, iWork, and social stuff like FB.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro 4 (and other Surfaces) are the ultimate devices for university study. Not only are they light and powerful, being able to write/organise notes and browse/annotate PDFs with ease. The touchscreen and pen functionality are huge differentiators to anything else on the market. You can even do things like search in handwritten notes in case you need to remind yourself during revision!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes