Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter & Surface Pro 4

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Try using just 2.4GHz (not 5GHz) switch on wireless setting. Perhaps switch channel on router to 1, 6 or 11.
Also double check Windows Firewall and allow adapter through.

I know its Miracast but it still uses your wifi card

Also try shortening the distance and resetting (button 10 seconds) or unplugging the dongle.

Sounds to me its likely either to far away or interference. or just needs reset.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try using just 2.4GHz (not 5GHz) switch on wireless setting. Perhaps switch channel on router to 1, 6 or 11.
Also double check Windows Firewall and allow adapter through.

I know its Miracast but it still uses your wifi card

Also try shortening the distance and resetting (button 10 seconds) or unplugging the dongle.

Sounds to me its likely either to far away or interference. or just needs reset.

Distance is not far. Maybe 10 ft?
I've set the Adapter on 2.4ghz only. Same thing.
I've tried it connected and disconnected from the router. So I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.
I have restarted the dongle as (button 10 seconds)
Will double check Windows Firewall.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the adapter it self is just faulty.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Distance is not far. Maybe 10 ft?
I've set the Adapter on 2.4ghz only. Same thing.
I've tried it connected and disconnected from the router. So I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.
I have restarted the dongle as (button 10 seconds)
Will double check Windows Firewall.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the adapter it self is just faulty.

Just checking you do have both the USB Power and HDMI plugged in on the dongle, correct?

Could be a bad USB port also. Try testing it or try the dongle on another monitor or computer.

Also you should re-install the HD graphics driver.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just checking you do have both the USB Power and HDMI plugged in on the dongle, correct?

Could be a bad USB port also. Try testing it or try the dongle on another monitor or computer.

Also you should re-install the HD graphics driver.

I've tried it on different televisions already.

After the update to Movies and TV yesterday or day before (can't remember) I used it last night and it did not disconnect. Don't know if it's just a coincidence or the updating of the app fixed something that was causing it to disconnect.

I will try it again later this evening and report back.

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
my 2 cent on the wireless display adapter as of yesterday.

got the WDA yesterday, set it up on my TV. Connection works fine sometimes and crap the other time. sometimes, both the tv and the sp4 goes black for 30seconds and then both disconnect. sometimes I have to reboot the sp4 to connect to the adapter. sometimes i have to power off the wda and back on to get it to connect.

however, when it connects, it works great.

*side note*
vlc kind of blows on sp4, in my experience. the few times that i have used it, i couldn't get full screen to work as it would lock up the video and I would have to force restart.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So. Last night I was connected for about three hours using both VLC and Movies and TV. So the fix was not the Movies and TV update.

However, on December 11th , my sp4 installed a cmulative update (KB3116900)... Since then is when it started working properly... Again, I don't know if this has something to do with it fixing or if it's just a coincidence but... My connections are stable n

what is the change log for the latest firmware 1.3.8305 of the display adapter?

Not sure.. Don't think there are any change logs for MWDA firmware update

Last edited:

goodwinod

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. I can connect with my Surface Book but it disconnects about every 20 minutes. If I come anywhere near the screen with the surface pen, it disconnects. I tried all of the suggestions here. I tried reinstalling the Intel driver. And I chatted with MS help desk for over an hour. He couldn't figure out what is causing it.

Em Ka

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here with Pro 4. Always have to try to connect 3 to 6 times until it succeeds. Annoying. But then it works fine...
With Pro 3 no problem at all...

SteVae

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
my problem is different. i can connect almost every time very easily, but once connected, my cursor moves in stutters, on the tablet, and videos seem to stutter a bit also. in short, it seems like the connection is very slow. i have updated the firmware as far as the app allows, and have tried it on both 2.4g and 5g wireless. does anybody have any experience with this? any suggestions? thanks.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here with Pro 4. Always have to try to connect 3 to 6 times until it succeeds. Annoying. But then it works fine...
With Pro 3 no problem at all...

Is the PRO 3 on windows 10 or 8?
I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 or a firmware thing? And if firmware, on which end? The MWDA? or The surface?

I've reached the stage where it connected after about 3-5 attempts. It does not disconnect when connected.

But it's so annoying to get it to connect. Microsoft needs to do something about this.

My phone has no problem connecting to the MWDA. It connects flawlessly EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I didn't face any issues so far. I tried connecting 5 times, it connected every time without any problem except I got a black screen on TV twice. Once I clicked on the "change projection mode" text right below the connect to wireless display, screen was fine.. I watched some videos for around 20 minutes. Didn't disconnect. Both my Surface Pro 4 and the wireless adapter have the latest software/firmware. MWDA is with firmware v1.3.8305,

What type of powersupply you are using with the adapter?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't face any issues so far. I tried connecting 5 times, it connected every time without any problem except I got a black screen on TV twice. Once I clicked on the "change projection mode" text right below the connect to wireless display, screen was fine.. I watched some videos for around 20 minutes. Didn't disconnect. Both my Surface Pro 4 and the wireless adapter have the latest software/firmware. MWDA is with firmware v1.3.8305,

What type of powersupply you are using with the adapter?

yes. Some times I get the black screen too. the adapter is plugged into the TV USB or It use an u adapter. All depends an which TV I am connecting to. How ever. It does not make a difference

nuscape

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Have you gotten your issue resolved yet?
I just got my SP4 two weeks ago and an MWDA ver.2. I can only successfully connected after second attempt. The first attempt of connection always fail.
Second attempt means once the first one failed immediately after that I press connect again then it should get connected.
Very annoying that the first one always fail, sometimes it did say connected at SP4 screen, but on the TV the three dots still moving and not connected and few second later just disconnect.

My SP4 has all the update including the latest June 2016 update as well.

On the other hand, I also have SP3 (Win 10), it connects perfectly everytime, so I guess it is an SP4 issue. But does it happen to all SP4?

Or I'm also wondering if this only happens to the i7 model with Intel Iris 540 Graphics?

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Have you gotten your issue resolved yet?
I just got my SP4 two weeks ago and an MWDA ver.2. I can only successfully connected after second attempt. The first attempt of connection always fail.
Second attempt means once the first one failed immediately after that I press connect again then it should get connected.
Very annoying that the first one always fail, sometimes it did say connected at SP4 screen, but on the TV the three dots still moving and not connected and few second later just disconnect.

My SP4 has all the update including the latest June 2016 update as well.

On the other hand, I also have SP3 (Win 10), it connects perfectly everytime, so I guess it is an SP4 issue. But does it happen to all SP4?

Or I'm also wondering if this only happens to the i7 model with Intel Iris 540 Graphics?

Nope. Did not get it 'fixed.If it works fine on the SP3 then the SP4 is the problem.

Mine is i5 with 520 Graphics

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I get the same issue - disconnect the first time. I've got the SP4 - m3. My other issue is that the SP4 doesn't change its resolution to match the TV (1080), so I end up with black bars on the TV. My old Surface 3 with Windows 8 used to do that fine - seems like it's either Windows 10 or SP4. I can manually change the resolution, but it's a pain.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a SP4i7 and I travel for business quite often. I have had generally good experiences with the MWDA2 but version 1 of the device was always problematic for me with freezing, pixellized artifacts, disconnects, etc.
When I do have problems now, they are transient but are more likely to occur in crowded hotels during peak (breakfast/after dinner) hours when there are a bunch of wireless devices and access points buzzing around. Not much can be done to minimize the interference but changing the channel or frequency (2.5/5GHz) as mentioned in this thread can help. Scan the wireless hands to see if there's a less polluted zone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre