03-30-2016 03:35 AM
99 1234
tools
    "Cost for i7 and dock... way more"

My company bought me a SP4 Core i5 (8GB/512GB), type cover, and dock for telecommuting work (I'm a Software Engineer), so I actually didn't have to pay for the dock/type cover, only my personal Core i7 device.

During the work day I have my work SP4 docked to the big monitor with a mechanical keyboard/mouse while my personal SP4 is off to the side with the type cover attached. At the end of my work day I swap the SP4s: the work one gets the type cover and the personal one gets the dock with the ultrawide monitor and full keyboard/mouse.

It's a pretty awesome setup that maximizes the use of the "free" type cover and dock for both work and play. :)
    12-15-2015 11:29 AM
    "Cost for i7 and dock... way more"

My company bought me a SP4 Core i5 (8GB/512GB), type cover, and dock for telecommuting work (I'm a Software Engineer), so I actually didn't have to pay for the dock/type cover, only my personal Core i7 device.

During the work day I have my work SP4 docked to the big monitor with a mechanical keyboard/mouse while my personal SP4 is off to the side with the type cover attached. At the end of my work day I swap the SP4s: the work one gets the type cover and the personal one gets the dock with the ultrawide monitor and full keyboard/mouse.

It's a pretty awesome setup that maximizes the use of the "free" type cover and dock for both work and play. :)
    Nice, again this points out that IF the SP is your primary computer AND you use the dock THEN the i7 makes sense as at that point it really does not matter unless you need dGPU.

But again there are other options that would be much cheaper if all you are doing is using like a tower bare bones system of old mainly. Can see where a laptop and tower might make more sense.
    12-15-2015 12:05 PM
    "Can see where a laptop and tower might make more sense."

Yeah, perhaps for most people, I agree.

The reason why I love the SP4 so much is how it is uniquely suited to handle multiple different use cases. It can replace a low-to-mid range desktop via the dock. When docked I have it right in front of/underneath my big monitor and behind my mechanical keyboard, which I couldn't do with a standard laptop because of the space the keyboard takes up. I actually rarely even need the type cover because I use it far more as a desktop/tablet than I do as a laptop. Using it as a media tablet while lying in bed is much easier to prop up than a wobbly laptop with its generally non-removable keyboard. And I can use it propped up on the edge of the coffee table rather than further back because of, again, a non-removable keyboard, all while taking notes on the couch with a bluetooth keyboard and close screen that doesn't have to be on my lap. Plus, again, most of the time I use it it's silent and only spins up the fan when docked with more intensive tasks.

For the way I use it it's literally 3 devices in 1, which makes it unique and totally worth the cost. Throw in the quality hardware and materials and it's quite a device, even in the more expensive configurations.

With all that said, if MS offered a Core M version with more RAM and Storage I'd be all over it at the cheaper price with no fan. Until then, though, the Core i7 is getting the job done pretty well. :)
    Last edited by MikeJer; 12-15-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    12-15-2015 01:16 PM
    Boltman2013...to anyone who does not believe in the power of the M3:
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-15-2015 06:36 PM
    Boltman2013...to anyone who does not believe in the power of the M3:
    When it comes to the SP4 yea
    12-15-2015 06:54 PM
    i5 is worth it over the m3 for many things. (especially games/graphics) However, i7 is only a marginal upgrade, if any at all, for the majority of things people might do on a surface computer.
    12-15-2015 10:43 PM
    i5 is worth it over the m3 for many things. (especially games/graphics) However, i7 is only a marginal upgrade, if any at all, for the majority of things people might do on a surface computer.
    What about for gaming? I haven't tried the i7 but I would have thought the iris graphics would give a decent performance boost in gaming
    12-16-2015 05:07 AM
    What about for gaming? I haven't tried the i7 but I would have thought the iris graphics would give a decent performance boost in gaming
    Think about it SP for gaming?
    12-16-2015 09:01 AM
    Depends what kind of gaming, I used my SP2 (i5) successfully a few times to make an impromptu gaming session in Left for Dead 2 (using a controller) when visiting my nephews and it behaved decently. I'm guessing for some scenarios and with no high expectations both the i5 and i7 should play some games. You can check some of the official reviews, they discuss some games and the settings used. But expect the fan to kick in even with light gaming.
    12-16-2015 09:59 AM
    I originally bought the i5/8GB/256GB model of the Surface Pro 3 and then got upsold by a friend of mine to the i7/8GB/512GB model. Ignoring the money I lost selling the i5 which made the i7 even more expensive, in the end the advantages were less than hoped and the disadvantages moreso.

The short version: if you're playing games on the Surface Pro, even at the top of the line, it's not a gaming system. A Surface Book might handle it. Ironically, I'm not a gamer so that wasn't actually a factor for me. My friend convinced me that I needed the extra horsepower, GPU and storage. In fact, I've never gone over 200GB and I've been pretty sloppy with my files. Turns out he uses a lot of VMs and of course, those eat a lot of memory and disk - and it turns out he never quits an app, so again, more CPU helps. And he's a gamer (well, relative to me) and so he needs the GPU boost.

I, on the other hand, tend to be methodical in my use. I tend to close apps when I'm done with them. I move files off my system to external storage when I'm done (and yes, I actually organise things so I can find them). I rarely have more than 2-3 apps running at the same time. Memory is useful for me because I tend to write programs that manipulate large amounts of data in memory (by which I mean 1-2GB).

I'm also not a twitch-junkie. I don't need screeching fast speed. Just good speed. My main uses for the Surface are actually more drawing, sketching, 3D modelling and printing and some music composition. None of those need brutal fast speed or tons of memory (well, ok - Photoshop can be kind of scary).

I think for the vast majority of people the i5/8GB/256GB model is more than enough. I'm skipping the SP4 (it's just not that much better than my SP3) but when the SP5 comes out, I may well upgrade to the i5 model rather than the i7 one.
    12-16-2015 06:51 PM
    The Surface Pro 4 i5 comes with Intel HD Graphics 520 (GT2) and has 24 Execution Units (EUs) clocked at up to 1050 MHz (depending on the CPU model). Due to its lack of dedicated graphics memory or eDRAM cache, the HD 520 has to access the main memory (2x 64bit DDR3L-1600 / DDR4-2133).

The Surface Pro 4 i7 comes with Intel Iris Graphics 540 (GT3e) which has 64 MB of dedicated eDRAM memory. Furthermore, the so-called GT3e-version features 48 Execution Units (EUs) clocked at up to 1050 MHz (depending on the CPU model). Besides the eDRAM cache, the Iris 540 is able to access the main memory (2x 64bit DDR3L-1600 / DDR4-2133).

So theoretically, the Iris graphics is twice as fast as the graphics in the i5 because it has twice the number of execution units. You don't get true 100% difference between 540 and 520 because the 520 actually has faster texture fill rate. But shader performance is more important and the 540 has over 2X the shader performance.

But the main reason why 540 is not 2x faster is both systems are bottlenecked by the system RAM. The Iris has eDRAM which greatly helps. While eDRAM is faster than dedicated video RAM, it's limited by the fact that you only get 64 MB versus desktop graphics which have 1 GB-8 GB of dedicated video RAM for the midrange to high end cards respectively. While your data is in that 64 MB space, you'll get great framerates. But moving data from system RAM (slow) to eDRAM takes time and that results in a big drop in frame rate. So the goal is to keep all the data within that 64 MB. Which is the reason why you go with a lower resolution because lower resolution consumes less memory.

Now the difference between Core i5's 520 and the Core M3's 515 is closer than the difference between the i7's 540 and the i5's 520. The main difference is the memory controller where the 520 is 5 GB/sec faster than the 515.

But how is that in the real world? This is only a few published tests. And it's with immature drivers. Once Intel gets their act together and fixes the drivers, the i7 Iris graphics should shine even more.

GFXBench Windows OpenGL - 1080p Manhattan 3.1 Offscreen (Top Scores)
    Iris™ Graphics 540 (15W Skylake-U GT3e): 63.5 FPS
    HD Graphics 520 (15W Skylake-U GT2): 39.6 FPS
    Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 (47W Haswell-H GT3e): 61.2 FPS
    HD Graphics 5000 (15W Haswell-U GT3): 36.7 FPS
    Geforce GT940M: 52.3 FPS
    Surface Book's Geforce dGPU: 61.1 FPS

540 vs 520:

Compubench:
    Face Detection
    28.8 mPixels/s
    18.632 mPixels/s
    TV-L1 Optical Flow
    4.546 mPixels/s
    2.731 mPixels/s
    Ocean Surface Simulation
    341.639 Frames/s
    201.624 Frames/s
    Particle Simulation - 64k
    224.953 mInteraction/s
    172.934 mInteraction/s
    T-Rex
    2.186 Frames/s
    1.425 Frames/s
    Video Composition
    8.536 Frames/s
    9.542 Frames/s
    Bitcoin Mining
    49.109 mHash/s
    26.351 mHash/s

Significant gains between Iris 540 and HD 520.

The guy who started this thread hasn't answered any of the questions I asked. What temps are he getting? Lots of software out there to measure. What resolution is he running his game? How much SSD space does he have available?

That brings up another point. Bigger sized SSD work faster than smaller SSD because of how SSDs are designed. Check the specs between different sized drives and see how that bears out. Free space on an SSD is also important. The more you fill the SSD, the slower it gets. You don't want to touch a 128 GB SSD if you actually want great performance.

And Werewolf's observations for Surface Pro 3 don't apply to Surface Pro 4. The Surface Pro 3 was designed when they thought it would have the thermals of Broadwell. But Broadwell was extremely late and so they reused Haswell. When your cooling system is designed for the cooler running Broadwell and you suddenly have to have the hotter Haswell, you're going to experience throttling. Which is why the i7 SP3 was not much different than i5 SP3 during sustained loads.

Not only does SP4 have a better cooling system, it's 2 generations newer than Haswell. So comparing i5 to i7 (especially factoring in Iris) will make a much greater difference than during the SP3 days.
    ioaniro, dirtyvu and sjaduae like this.
    12-17-2015 01:17 AM
    Great info, thanks onlysublime
    12-17-2015 04:51 AM
    M3 unless you are in the 1% and like to overspend or have "the best"
    I signed up just to ask this question (my first post here). I am looking to get an SP4 and researching which model to purchase (first time Surface, or Windows PC buyer for that matter). I typically tend to buy top-of-the-line tech just to future-proof it a little bit because I don't upgrade every time there is a new model out there (still running the late 2009 27" iMac at home; for work my employer/s have always provided the machine). At the same time, I also don't believe in overspending on something if the value isn't there (I could be wrong but I think the i7 might fall in that category because if I cannot push it to its limits then am overpaying - like buying a car that has an engine capable of, and a speedometer marked up to, 200 mph but you can only push it to 85 mph or something on those lines).

I am not a gamer nor do I do any serious graphic intensive stuff on the home computer. But the iMac, my main home computer, is kind of getting slower for my growing photo/video/music library I increased the RAM from 8 to 12 GB last year but that didnt help much. Hence am looking. I love the form factor of the SP4. I plan to replace the iMac as the main home computer with the SP4, hooked up with a large/fast external SSD, and use the iMac as an external monitor (Target Display Mode). However, I also plan to take the SP4 to office and on business trips for work (and the iMac will still be available for others to do light work/browsing if needed).

Towards the end of my work day when am closing down things I have the following windows/applications open/running: at least half a dozen SAP GUI windows, half a dozen huge Excel files, IE and Chrome with more than a dozen tabs each, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Skype, Cisco Jabber, Snagit, and a few other applications/windows.

I am not sure if the M3 would be able to handle my planned home + office usage/workload, or can it? So I am thinking i5 maybe?

Lastly, I know there are other machines than the SP4 i5/i7 out there that may server my intended usage for the same price or lower, but I prefer the SP4 because of its ability to replace my old tablet as well so, if am buying a windows machine, its going to be the SP4 (not even the SB). Or else it will be an MBP (although OSX is getting boring) and just use the office issued machine for work (although am tired of those boring Dells and Lenovos), and keep my tablet till it dies.

All that said, would it be wrong or foolish if I were to pick the SP4 i5 256GB, and pay a premium according to you, just because I believe I need an i5 and I want it in the SP4s form factor and I like the way its wrapped in magnesium?

Any guidance, from you, and other experts here, is much appreciated.
    12-17-2015 12:07 PM
    In summary a tablet which is what the SP is should be fan-less at all costs especially when they have an upscale model surface book with fans and extra ports.
    Wow, so I should lug around a 3.3 lb. machine just so I don't have a fan on a 1.7 lb. machine? I'm glad you're not my source for technical support. And I've had it with under-powered machines. I hate lag and will pay more to eliminate it. M3 lags too much. Don't tell me what I should like.
    Grimmric likes this.
    12-17-2015 12:20 PM
    If in doubt get the i5. It's the best bang for the buck. If you have light needs and are on a budget get the M3. If you need the best performance and can afford it get the i7.
    12-17-2015 01:19 PM
    I signed up just to ask this question (my first post here). I am looking to get an SP4 and researching which model to purchase (first time Surface, or Windows PC buyer for that matter). I typically tend to buy top-of-the-line tech just to future-proof it a little bit because I don't upgrade every time there is a new model out there (still running the late 2009 27" iMac at home; for work my employer/s have always provided the machine). At the same time, I also don't believe in overspending on something if the value isn't there (I could be wrong but I think the i7 might fall in that category because if I cannot push it to its limits then am overpaying - like buying a car that has an engine capable of, and a speedometer marked up to, 200 mph but you can only push it to 85 mph or something on those lines).

I am not a gamer nor do I do any serious graphic intensive stuff on the home computer. But the iMac, my main home computer, is kind of getting slower for my growing photo/video/music library I increased the RAM from 8 to 12 GB last year but that didnt help much. Hence am looking. I love the form factor of the SP4. I plan to replace the iMac as the main home computer with the SP4, hooked up with a large/fast external SSD, and use the iMac as an external monitor (Target Display Mode). However, I also plan to take the SP4 to office and on business trips for work (and the iMac will still be available for others to do light work/browsing if needed).

Towards the end of my work day when am closing down things I have the following windows/applications open/running: at least half a dozen SAP GUI windows, half a dozen huge Excel files, IE and Chrome with more than a dozen tabs each, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Skype, Cisco Jabber, Snagit, and a few other applications/windows.

I am not sure if the M3 would be able to handle my planned home + office usage/workload, or can it? So I am thinking i5 maybe?

Lastly, I know there are other machines than the SP4 i5/i7 out there that may server my intended usage for the same price or lower, but I prefer the SP4 because of its ability to replace my old tablet as well so, if am buying a windows machine, its going to be the SP4 (not even the SB). Or else it will be an MBP (although OSX is getting boring) and just use the office issued machine for work (although am tired of those boring Dells and Lenovos), and keep my tablet till it dies.

All that said, would it be wrong or foolish if I were to pick the SP4 i5 256GB, and pay a premium according to you, just because I believe I need an i5 and I want it in the SP4s form factor and I like the way its wrapped in magnesium?

Any guidance, from you, and other experts here, is much appreciated.
    First, don't ask from input from boltman. He's really biased towards the SP4 m3 and would always push for it (check out other threads here about the SP4, he always touts the m3 and insults anyone who doesn't think like him).

Now to answer your question, unless you want to close several tabs/programs, go for the 8GB RAM minimum. Opening a lot of programs and tabs takes a toll on the RAM.

For your GPU needs, the m3 will suffice, but with your current usage, the 4 GB RAM will not suffice.

Tl;dr go for anything with 8GB for your numerous programs and tabs, with the i5 being the best (as you won't take full advantage of the i7 processor anyway).
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-17-2015 01:30 PM
    How can you possibly say...

"the 4 GB RAM will not suffice." truthfully you have no clue at all of what you speak of.

Pretty sure Microsoft did not make a "PRO" device that does not suffice after opening a few programs..give me a break. I have many programs, tabs and windows open on my M3 and it keeps up like a champ.

I have never had to close a tab or program yet..give me a break you act like 4GB is trash it isn't. With RAM compression they alleviated the stress on RAM even more..get educated.
    12-17-2015 01:49 PM
    II love the form factor of the SP4. I plan to replace the iMac as the main home computer with the SP4, hooked up with a large/fast external SSD, and use the iMac as an external monitor (Target Display Mode). However, I also plan to take the SP4 to office and on business trips for work (and the iMac will still be available for others to do light work/browsing if needed).

If you have bought a computer since 2009 and infrequently upgrade, I'd suggest the i5/8GB/256 GB with your workflow. The M3 version is really meant for NOW, not for a long term situation. 4GB is the biggest issue with the M3 (but lack of SSD space is another problem). Leo Laporte has an adage that 1 year is 15 computer years. A 2009 computer is 90 years old and ready to be retired.

If you have a dozen tabs each for IE and Chrome in addition to all that software, you're definitely going to need more than 4 GB:

Check out IE, Chrome, Edge RAM usage I posted earlier:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3345101
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    12-17-2015 03:16 PM
    How can you possibly say...

"the 4 GB RAM will not suffice." truthfully you have no clue at all of what you speak of.

Pretty sure Microsoft did not make a "PRO" device that does not suffice after opening a few programs..give me a break. I have many programs, tabs and windows open on my M3 and it keeps up like a champ.

I have never had to close a tab or program yet..give me a break you act like 4GB is trash it isn't. With RAM compression they alleviated the stress on RAM even more..get educated.
    You just proved my point on how biased you are. FYI I didn't say the m3 is trash, I'm gonna buy it too. Look, he said he opens apps such as:

If that doesn't take up 4GB RAM, then I guess I've been seeing things wrong.. Get over yourself Boltman, the m3 is not for everyone. For example, my university uses a VPN that already takes 1GB of RAM to operate. Pair that with Edge who takes 1GB of RAM somehow (I checked task manager). Then pair that with several apps that's open, easily ramps up to 5GB of RAM. Pair that up more with me watching movies and playing games without closing tabs. boom 8GB max. So you think 4GB is enough, and I don't need to close apps/tabs?

Boltman, if you have nothing positive/helpful to contribute other than "OMG M3 BEST YOU SUCK IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU STUPID." Then please, don't even contribute anything. Look at your posts again, they all smell of bias. "99% of users don't need anything more other than the m3!" Really? Where's the data to back it up? Where's the proof? How can you know what users do what? Are you proclaiming you're omniscient? Suck it up mate, you don't know half the **** you're talking about.

You know why you don't have to close a tab or program yet? Because 1. You're biased. and 2. Your usage is minimal, very minimal. I know how limiting 4GB of RAM is, I had the Surface 3.

"With RAM compression" Did you pull this out of your *** or something? Do you even know how RAM compression works? It essentially takes the power of your CPU to "compress" the RAM, which slows down the machine when switching apps. You read his post right? They guy doesn't close apps or tabs much, and leaves around 10 tabs and several apps running. This already eats a lot of RAM. Get over your bias and yourself Boltman.

And to answer the real thread. No, the i7 is not worth it unless you plan to take advantage of it (which is video editing, file processing, etc). Better get the i5 and save that money.
    12-17-2015 05:15 PM
    You just proved my point on how biased you are. FYI I didn't say the m3 is trash, I'm gonna buy it too. Look, he said he opens apps such as:

If that doesn't take up 4GB RAM, then I guess I've been seeing things wrong.. Get over yourself Boltman, the m3 is not for everyone. For example, my university uses a VPN that already takes 1GB of RAM to operate. Pair that with Edge who takes 1GB of RAM somehow (I checked task manager). Then pair that with several apps that's open, easily ramps up to 5GB of RAM. Pair that up more with me watching movies and playing games without closing tabs. boom 8GB max. So you think 4GB is enough, and I don't need to close apps/tabs?

Boltman, if you have nothing positive/helpful to contribute other than "OMG M3 BEST YOU SUCK IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU STUPID." Then please, don't even contribute anything. Look at your posts again, they all smell of bias. "99% of users don't need anything more other than the m3!" Really? Where's the data to back it up? Where's the proof? How can you know what users do what? Are you proclaiming you're omniscient? Suck it up mate, you don't know half the **** you're talking about.

You know why you don't have to close a tab or program yet? Because 1. You're biased. and 2. Your usage is minimal, very minimal. I know how limiting 4GB of RAM is, I had the Surface 3.

"With RAM compression" Did you pull this out of your *** or something? Do you even know how RAM compression works? It essentially takes the power of your CPU to "compress" the RAM, which slows down the machine when switching apps. You read his post right? They guy doesn't close apps or tabs much, and leaves around 10 tabs and several apps running. This already eats a lot of RAM. Get over your bias and yourself Boltman.

And to answer the real thread. No, the i7 is not worth it unless you plan to take advantage of it (which is video editing, file processing, etc). Better get the i5 and save that money.
    8GB will only be useful if you run specific memory hungry programs. Thats the truth otherwise 4GB is PLENTY

You seem to think 4GB will break and I push my Surface all the time with multiple apps and tabs so don't say it does not work it does. Again Microsoft would not market a PRO device that could not run in a variety of professional situations everyday. The $899 is all 99% of buyers need.

Now if you are doing Video compression all day long , or running several VMs constantly THEN 8GB makes a difference otherwise it does not especially with RAM compression scheme the built into and added in the November update and the very fast M2 drive each Surface has.

I know I'm a Microsoft and IT Security and Networking professional and push systems every single day. 8GB need is a myth for the tasks the users are doing with surfaces...unless you are a 1% case.

Only 8GB+ systems are those that want to speed video compression or house lots of VMs < 1% will use a surface for those tasks.

Try it and get back to me or waste another $400 its your dime not mine..enjoy the fan noise

The reason 8GB got "popular" its dirt cheap on desktops, somewhat so on laptops, hell I put 32GB in for < $100 im my last build..on Surface its NOT CHEAP its $400 for extra 4GB its way expensive and people do not need it except in very rare use cases. So you get by just fine with 4GB and save fan noise and $400 in the process.
    Last edited by boltman2013; 12-17-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    12-17-2015 05:20 PM
    8GB will only be useful if you run specific memory hungry programs. Thats he truth otherwise 4GB is PLENTY

You seem to think 4GB will break and I push my Surface all the time with multiple apps and tabs so don't say it does not work it does.

Now if you are doing Video compression all day long , or running several VMs constantly THEN 8GB makes a difference otherwise it does not especially with RAM compression a added in the November update and the very fast M2 drive each Surface has.

Try it and get back to me
    Did you read his post?

But the iMac, my main home computer, is kind of getting slower for my growing photo/video/music library – I increased the RAM from 8 to 12 GB last year but that didn’t help much

The guys indicates he doesn't close his apps during work, and only closes them at the end of the day. He needs the 8GB of RAM unless he wants to close down several apps and tabs, which then of course 4GB will suffice.
    xandros9 and fj_cruiser like this.
    12-17-2015 05:26 PM
    Did you read his post?

But the iMac, my main home computer, is kind of getting slower for my growing photo/video/music library – I increased the RAM from 8 to 12 GB last year but that didn’t help much

The guys indicates he doesn't close his apps during work, and only closes them at the end of the day. He needs the 8GB of RAM unless he wants to close down several apps and tabs, which then of course 4GB will suffice.
    He may be the 1% but the other 99% do not need 8GB, if he runs all that he does not need advice here that's for sure.
    12-17-2015 05:41 PM
    Man, that 1% is awfully crowded with a lot of people.
    12-17-2015 06:21 PM
    Am 1%'r.

---

Also I think we've gone back and forth enough on the M3 here, please let it go.

-and anyone who starts singing will receive a warning-

(kidding!)
    onlysublime and boltman2013 like this.
    12-17-2015 06:34 PM
    For example, my university uses a VPN that already takes 1GB of RAM to operate. Pair that with Edge who takes 1GB of RAM somehow (I checked task manager). [/B]
    Thats one important thing I forgot to mention - i often work from home/remote and I VPN into the company network almost 50% of my time.
    12-17-2015 08:13 PM
99 1234