Surface Pro 4 - tech support says updates coming today 12/15

James Kirk2

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Today 12/15/2015, I used both online and phone tech support to complain that my Surface Pro 4 i5/120GB will not wake up from sleep mode on occasion. They had no fix but say an update is coming sometime today. They could not tell me this update will fix my issue. I have had my Surface Pro 4 since Oct 26th and have had this issue occur about 6-8 times since getting it. I maybe returning it because of this issue. I do not use Edge so I have not the issues others are reporting. For the high cost of this table I do not feel confident with the tablet because of this issue. Have others experienced this issue? I know it is display driver related. Please Microsoft fix my tablet.

Last edited:

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Today 12/15/2015, I used both online and phone tech support to complain that my Surface Pro 4 i5/120GB will not wake up from sleep mode on occasion. They had no fix but say an update is coming sometime today. They could not tell me this update will fix my issue. I have had my Surface Pro 4 since Oct 26th and have had this issue occur about 6-8 times since getting it. I maybe returning it because of this issue. I do not use Edge so I have not the issues others are reporting. For the high cost of this table I do not feel this confident with the tablet because of this issue. Have others experienced this issue? I know it is display driver related. Please Microsoft fix my tablet.

Don't use sleep nor hibernate...turn it off and on with button and be happy (Until they fix it) that way Hello works everytime and you wait max 12 seconds to get to desktop normally.

"Who moved my cheese" is a good book.

Last edited:

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
It happens to me from time to time. I'll frequently find "Lock Screen Stopped Responding" messages in the reliability history activity.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I use only hibernate and it always wakes up. I still need to be able to move the tablet around while apps are still open so full power off is a bit too much. Its always resuming though. From sleep it was sometimes resuming to a black screen and to get it to turn the screen on i needed to repeatedly press win key + P until it would come on. Even then it was not all the time.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Don't use sleep nor hibernate...turn it off and on with button and be happy (Until they fix it) that way Hello works everytime and you wait max 12 seconds to get to desktop normally.

"Who moved my cheese" is a good book.
I swear every time I read a post on this forum and think, "yea this guy knows what's up" it's you @boltman2013

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL thanks. Sometimes I rub people the wrong way ..but if they would just listen for once.

I just wish they came with Hibernate as default, and "Sleep" an option. That way folks wouldn't think they are giving something up. For some reason, making any kind of change to settings seems like a negative compromise to folks. Like Microsoft knows what is best for everyone.

Instead, the fact we have choices means Microsoft WANTS us to chose for ourselves. Right?

And in this case, Hibernate IS the best choice. After all, it eliminates the malfunction. Shouldn't that bring relief?
Does for me. I love Hibernate. I remember when there was no such thing.
I love longer battery life too.
I love the SP4, especially with Hibernate. lol

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just wish they came with Hibernate as default, and "Sleep" an option. That way folks wouldn't think they are giving something up. For some reason, making any kind of change to settings seems like a negative compromise to folks. Like Microsoft knows what is best for everyone.

Instead, the fact we have choices means Microsoft WANTS us to chose for ourselves. Right?

And in this case, Hibernate IS the best choice. After all, it eliminates the malfunction. Shouldn't that bring relief?
Does for me. I love Hibernate. I remember when there was no such thing.
I love longer battery life too.
I love the SP4, especially with Hibernate. lol

I have an issue with Hibernate...even Microsoft gave guidance to use sleep whenever possible over Hibernate.

Since Sleep is broken and Hibernate is not recommended that only leaves "OFF"

The issue I have with Hibernate..

It does not really save much time (RAM load)
I like to start with cleared fresh RAM not old stuff
Its been buggy in the past, so much so MS did not recommend it. Paging RAM to disk then reloading is a hard process to get right, especially with RAM compression schemes the Nov update turned on.
Hello works 100% of the time.

But if it makes you happy, more power to you

Ideally they get Sleep tits again....then that is what I will use as that is the best option when it works as it does not page RAM contents to disk. Plus its ultra low power state and instant on.

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand the theoretical advantage of sleep over hibernate. But this version of sleep (Surface) just doesn't currently deliver on its potential to be the superior choice. Quite the opposite, in fact.

So until it does..............It's off, or hibernate. No sleeping for me.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Every time I was using Hibernate only, I'd have to disconnect and reconnect to my WiFi network otherwise I'd have no connectivity

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

'Sleep' for the Surface range is Connected Standby or InstantGo which has many advantages over hibernate, like allowing network connectivity and background tasks to run so you can do things like receive email & Skype calls and have music continue to play all while the device is conserving battery in a low power mode.

So by switching to hibernate you are giving something up. This may not be a big deal for some people, especially those using the SurfaceBook just like a traditional laptop. But for people who do use these features, especially for the Surface Pro where it's more expected to operate like a tablet (e.g. an iPad) where these features are common place, then the lack of sleep and having to use hibernate is a big deal.

James Kirk2

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Still no update for me, Microsoft tech support is full of it, not really surprised. So far using hibernate has worked out.. Anyone get an update?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
'Sleep' for the Surface range is Connected Standby or InstantGo which has many advantages over hibernate, like allowing network connectivity and background tasks to run so you can do things like receive email & Skype calls and have music continue to play all while the device is conserving battery in a low power mode.

So by switching to hibernate you are giving something up. This may not be a big deal for some people, especially those using the SurfaceBook just like a traditional laptop. But for people who do use these features, especially for the Surface Pro where it's more expected to operate like a tablet (e.g. an iPad) where these features are common place, then the lack of sleep and having to use hibernate is a big deal.

Excellent Point. I bow. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb