NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS surface pro 3/4

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
1) Click start and type "regedit" (no quotes) to open the "Registry Editor"
2) Navigate to HKEYLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
3) Change the value of "CSEnabled" from 1 to 0.
4) Click OK, exit the registry editor & reboot.
5) Log back in and check your Power Options, you should have all of the hidden Power Themes & advanced options.

*Maximum processor state settings will modify the throttling settings.

Screenshot (41).jpg
Screenshot (43).jpg
Screenshot (44).jpg
Screenshot (45).jpg
Screenshot (46).jpg
Screenshot (47).jpg
Screenshot (48).jpg
Screenshot (49).jpg

Now reboot!!!
Screenshot (50).jpg
Screenshot (51).jpg
Screenshot (52).jpg
Screenshot (53).jpg
Screenshot (55).jpg

Clock to what works for you and merry Christmas

Last edited:

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: NO MORE THROTTLLE OT FANS surface pro 3/4

The screenshots are a little compressed so some parts are hard to read, so here's some easier to read instructions:

5) Log back in and check your Power Options, you should have all of the hidden Power Themes & advanced options.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: NO MORE THROTTLLE OT FANS surface pro 3/4

The screenshots are a little compressed so some parts are hard to read, so here's some easier to read instructions:

Just notice only look now, as I had to wait for it to be allowed :) I will write it in a bit cheers

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
How so? Supposedly this will give you longer battery life? But... won't this overheat your device if you turn off the fans? :S

You are not turning off the fans XD lol you are under clocking it to the point that it is running at 45-60c but still giving you a really fast machine and stop it trying to push :) and more battery as its using less power

Last edited:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
You are not turning of the fans XD lol your under clocking it to the point that it is running at 45-60c but still giving you a never fast machine and stop it trying to push :) and more battery as its using less power

Ahh OK, I understand now. But my question is why would you set the minimum state to 50% when on battery, and 35% when plugged in? Is that to keep the processor cooler while the device gets warmer while charging?

peewee67

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Already made this change a couple of weeks ago. However, the cpu speed isn't throttled down to max 50% or 35% , and still goes up to 100% on my i5. I'm not sure if these settings do anything at all, fan still comes on when watching on line HD videos etc. Also, i run BatteryBar Pro which can show the power drawn by the CPU, this still goes up to 25W at times.

Update 28/12: i take that back. I made these changes again, and CPU-Z shows indeed that cpu is throttled to the max percentage set. Even better, you can undo the registry change to get the sleep state back, and still use the power scheme you created with the advanced options.

Last edited:

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Already made this change a couple of weeks ago. However, the cpu speed isn't throttled down to max 50% or 35% , and still goes up to 100% on my i5. I'm not sure if these settings do anything at all, fan still comes on when watching on line HD videos etc. Also, i run BatteryBar Pro which can show the power drawn by the CPU, this still goes up to 25W at times.
Download throttle stop 7 I think.. and disable turbo boost :) but you should not have to do that... you might have to get a replacement

No slow done and no fans.. at the last point the tablet was not even warm.. felt like a IED light would feel little bit colder then that
Screenshot (58).jpg
Screenshot (60).jpg
Screenshot (61).jpg

Okay now I have put in my dock. on battery
This so I can utilise my 32 ich 1080p curved display, keyboard and mouse and speakers, when rendering/setting up
I have keyshot, egde, modo and 8tracts for music running at 1.4ghz stable, no fans and only warm to the touch, rendering took 6mins on a 3k res image 44k triangles in the model, keyshot was running at 24fps

Screenshot (62).jpg
Screenshot (63).jpg
Screenshot (64).jpg
Screenshot (65).jpg
Screenshot (67).jpg
Screenshot (68).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

peewee67

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
This works. You can even change back the registry setting to get the sleep-state back, and still use power schemes created with reduced cpu settings.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Update 28/12: i take that back. I made these changes again, and CPU-Z shows indeed that cpu is throttled to the max percentage set. Even better, you can undo the registry change to get the sleep state back, and still use the power scheme you created with the advanced options.

Glad to hear :)

Onduril

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
That's definitely a good trick to get a silent, cold, powerful "tablet", that can be unleashed at any time...
In order to play 5+ years old games, fanless, I'm also using the following tricks :
- Custom resolutions (reg files)
- Frame per second limiter to 30 fps (I'm using dxtory)

For instance with a SP4 i7, I'm able to play "The Witcher", the first one, at 1728x1152 (roughly equivalent to 1080p), high quality settings in the game, limiting at 30 fps, with the fan stopped.

Using a soft like Dxtory just to limit the fps is a bit strange, if someone knows another way, I'm interested...

Valeri Nikolov

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for creating this thread, for now it gives good indications that it will help me save a lot of battery.

I just have one question about your settings: If you are setting the minimum processor state on 50% and 35%, doesn't that mean you are making your processor run more than it should? My confusion comes from the fact that by default the minimum percentage on both is 5%. It would make more sense to change only the maximum processor state.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99