NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS surface pro 3/4

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What are the best settings for this?
I don't use this method anymore because it resets every time an update comes and I am on insider builds XD . but that being said. I used 20% on min and 40% on max, I also found 80% max to fair well too, if you really want to save power just set balance to 5%
on both but you might find it slows down on somethings remember to switch it back once you have set your Numbers on balance to get sleep back,also I do not recommend 5% for gaming. other workaround I use is throttle stop 7.0 and turn of turbo boost and Intel extreme tuning together.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Does this actually works? I tried using this method, I even set down to 20 percent of max performance limit. Cause I wanted to try to get the 8 hours that Microsoft advertise. Sadly I didn't get this much of on time when I use my tablet outside. I brightness was set to 25 percent and battery saver on. I switch on the task manager and still see the percentage of the processor going more than 20 percent...

for the sleep setting, it doesn't work when i switch on the hidden settings. After I switch off the hidden settings, and sleep reappear. But I'm not sure whether the maximum performance limit that i set at 20 percent still works after I have switch back to have the sleep settings....

It does work. I was running at about 35-49c as i said above. I don't do this because of updates on insider. make sure your min is at 5%, 10% or 20% and you max is 40 to 80, whatever you find works for you. use windows task manger to see your GHZ go up or down to see were you like it at. 1.4 ghz is a nice sweet spot.

D3M1G0D

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
I had previous tried playing with the voltage to reduce fan noise and heat (only made the device unstable). This is a much easier and safer method. Thanks a bunch :)

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I had previous tried playing with the voltage to reduce fan noise and heat (only made the device unstable). This is a much easier and safer method. Thanks a bunch :)

Your welcome :) Yeah changing the voltage can act very different on the same hardware. But this way is universally safe

aXnumeric

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
for the sleep setting, it doesn't work when i switch on the hidden settings. After I switch off the hidden settings, and sleep reappear. But I'm not sure whether the maximum performance limit that i set at 20 percent still works after I have switch back to have the sleep settings....

Bumping. I have exactly this problem now. Why does it do that? I saved a new power profile with the new settings then went back to the registry.

Cleyton79

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi Geo.

I just registered to thank you for this topic. Your method changed the pessimistic thought of "why the hell did I buy this tablet"...

So far I have tested Fallout New Vegas on a SP3 Pro i7/512gb with 75% max proc and the fan starts working in intervals but the heat is "normal" and not too hot. Gotta try with 40% or even less and see with Lower Qual Graphics.

Thank you again.

(sorry for my bad english... )

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Geo.

I just registered to thank you for this topic. Your method changed the pessimistic thought of "why the hell did I buy this tablet"...

So far I have tested Fallout New Vegas on a SP3 Pro i7/512gb with 75% max proc and the fan starts working in intervals but the heat is "normal" and not too hot. Gotta try with 40% or even less and see with Lower Qual Graphics.

Thank you again.

(sorry for my bad english... )

I am glad I could help :) the i7 is a beast when powered correctly something Microsoft should thought about .

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My surface pro 4 only kicks in when

a) Playing dota2
b) plugged in and my slide show is active on the lock screen while windows hello is "looking for me". (This only started happening after 14393.187 update)

I'm looking for a program that I can use to monitor cpu utilization say in the taskbar though. It's very annoying everytime I want to check cpu utilization I have to open task manager.

Don't want to have to switch to any program, would just like to glance at the figures in the task bar (where the system icons are)

Any suggestions?

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

a) Playing dota2
b) plugged in and my slide show is active on the lock screen while windows hello is "looking for me". (This only started happening after 14393.187 update)

I'm looking for a program that I can use to monitor cpu utilization say in the taskbar though. It's very annoying everytime I want to check cpu utilization I have to open task manager.

Don't want to have to switch to any program, would just like to glance at the figures in the task bar (where the system icons are)

Any suggestions?

There you go :) https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2667/throttlestop-8-10-beta-2

drmodify

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Latest update for my SP3 made the fan more stable but it still kicks in a while, like whispering. I guess I can live with this although I prefer no sound at all for a lot of money. I guess it's just not the right time yet, who knows maybe SP5??

Any suggestions?

Rainmeter??

Last edited:

Nelesh Naidoo

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I've made the registry change as supplied by Geo. Thanks Geo you rock. I'm a situation where I cant swap out my surface as there is no MS store in my country.

My question is: What implication does this change have on processing power or battery life?

Thanks

jabberwockdb

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I went into regedit and changed the field from 1 to 0.

I rebooted and clicked on power options.

However, I do not see the options to reduce CPU percentages.

Any suggestions?

SETCOM

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

just download this- tune down the (active core) multipliers.

It shows how much you clock down the cpu and you can do it per app, etc.

FROM INTEL!

You can't go wrong with this, unless you go and try over-clocking.

DO NOT OVERCLOCK A SURFACE!!!!!****

But this app will allow you to fully customize your CPU

I set mine to 3.1 Ghz for now and have a 3.0Ghz profile. but depending on how often you hear that fan, set it down. note that it shows the turbo speed, but this WILL also reduce the default speed as well. So I'm running 1.5Ghz without Turbo, no lags, no fan noise.. yet.

Waleed bin waheed

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
Hey Geo,i am using a surafce pro 3 i7 8gb ram and i have set min power state to 1% and max power state to 5% cuz i only use it for school work, will it cause any harm to my pc?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99