01-21-2018 08:41 AM
162 123 ...
tools
    1) Click start and type "regedit" (no quotes) to open the "Registry Editor"
    2) Navigate to HKEYLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
    3) Change the value of "CSEnabled" from 1 to 0.
    4) Click OK, exit the registry editor & reboot.
    5) Log back in and check your Power Options, you should have all of the hidden Power Themes & advanced options.

*Maximum processor state settings will modify the throttling settings.

screenshot-41-.jpg
    screenshot-43-.jpg
    screenshot-44-.jpg
    screenshot-45-.jpg
    screenshot-46-.jpg
    screenshot-47-.jpg
    screenshot-48-.jpg
    screenshot-49-.jpg

Now reboot!!!
    screenshot-50-.jpg
    screenshot-51-.jpg
    screenshot-52-.jpg
    screenshot-53-.jpg
    screenshot-55-.jpg

Clock to what works for you and merry Christmas
    Last edited by Geo Hutchings; 12-26-2015 at 02:54 AM.
    TheCudder, Jazmac, mark233 and 2 others like this.
    12-25-2015 01:35 AM
    The screenshots are a little compressed so some parts are hard to read, so here's some easier to read instructions:

5) Log back in and check your Power Options, you should have all of the hidden Power Themes & advanced options.

Geo Hutchings likes this.
    12-25-2015 08:35 AM
    The screenshots are a little compressed so some parts are hard to read, so here's some easier to read instructions:

Just notice only look now, as I had to wait for it to be allowed :) I will write it in a bit cheers
    Jazmac likes this.
    12-25-2015 01:04 PM
    I'm hoping you don't catch a bunch of grief for posting a solution.

But I suspect
    12-25-2015 04:50 PM
    Also more battery :P
    12-26-2015 03:01 AM
    Also more battery :P
    How so? Supposedly this will give you longer battery life? But... won't this overheat your device if you turn off the fans? :S
    12-26-2015 04:38 AM
    How so? Supposedly this will give you longer battery life? But... won't this overheat your device if you turn off the fans? :S
    You are not turning off the fans XD lol you are under clocking it to the point that it is running at 45-60c but still giving you a really fast machine and stop it trying to push :) and more battery as its using less power
    Last edited by Geo Hutchings; 12-26-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    12-26-2015 08:54 AM
    You are not turning of the fans XD lol your under clocking it to the point that it is running at 45-60c but still giving you a never fast machine and stop it trying to push :) and more battery as its using less power
    Ahh OK, I understand now. But my question is why would you set the minimum state to 50% when on battery, and 35% when plugged in? Is that to keep the processor cooler while the device gets warmer while charging?
    12-26-2015 10:11 AM
    Ahh OK, I understand now. But my question is why would you set the minimum state to 50% when on battery, and 35% when plugged in? Is that to keep the processor cooler while the device gets warmer while charging?
    correct :)
    12-26-2015 11:25 AM
    correct :)
    And you're not getting any slowdowns for running the processor at half speed? 😀👍
    12-26-2015 11:27 AM
    And you're not getting any slowdowns for running the processor at half speed?
    Nope... like maybe running games, but then I just put it to 75%, its funny the i5 and i7 run better at low speeds, in the surface pro's anyway as they run cooler
    12-26-2015 11:30 AM
    Already made this change a couple of weeks ago. However, the cpu speed isn't throttled down to max 50% or 35% , and still goes up to 100% on my i5. I'm not sure if these settings do anything at all, fan still comes on when watching on line HD videos etc. Also, i run BatteryBar Pro which can show the power drawn by the CPU, this still goes up to 25W at times.

Update 28/12: i take that back. I made these changes again, and CPU-Z shows indeed that cpu is throttled to the max percentage set. Even better, you can undo the registry change to get the sleep state back, and still use the power scheme you created with the advanced options.
    Last edited by peewee67; 12-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    12-27-2015 03:39 AM
    Already made this change a couple of weeks ago. However, the cpu speed isn't throttled down to max 50% or 35% , and still goes up to 100% on my i5. I'm not sure if these settings do anything at all, fan still comes on when watching on line HD videos etc. Also, i run BatteryBar Pro which can show the power drawn by the CPU, this still goes up to 25W at times.
    Download throttle stop 7 I think.. and disable turbo boost :) but you should not have to do that... you might have to get a replacement

No slow done and no fans.. at the last point the tablet was not even warm.. felt like a IED light would feel little bit colder then that
    screenshot-58-.jpg
    screenshot-60-.jpg
    screenshot-61-.jpg

Okay now I have put in my dock. on battery
    This so I can utilise my 32 ich 1080p curved display, keyboard and mouse and speakers, when rendering/setting up
    I have keyshot, egde, modo and 8tracts for music running at 1.4ghz stable, no fans and only warm to the touch, rendering took 6mins on a 3k res image 44k triangles in the model, keyshot was running at 24fps

screenshot-62-.jpg
    screenshot-63-.jpg
    screenshot-64-.jpg
    screenshot-65-.jpg
    screenshot-67-.jpg
    screenshot-68-.jpg
    Last edited by xandros9; 01-03-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    12-27-2015 05:51 AM
    AKA how to ruin a SP4 wow.
    12-27-2015 01:07 PM
    AKA how to ruin a SP4 wow.

Lol what you on about XD
    12-27-2015 09:29 PM
    This works. You can even change back the registry setting to get the sleep-state back, and still use power schemes created with reduced cpu settings.
    12-28-2015 03:29 PM
    This works. You can even change back the registry setting to get the sleep-state back, and still use power schemes created with reduced cpu settings.
    I find it odd that they don't allow the settings in the first place...
    12-28-2015 07:36 PM

Update 28/12: i take that back. I made these changes again, and CPU-Z shows indeed that cpu is throttled to the max percentage set. Even better, you can undo the registry change to get the sleep state back, and still use the power scheme you created with the advanced options.
    Glad to hear :)
    12-29-2015 12:00 AM
    That's definitely a good trick to get a silent, cold, powerful "tablet", that can be unleashed at any time...
    In order to play 5+ years old games, fanless, I'm also using the following tricks :
    - Custom resolutions (reg files)
    - Frame per second limiter to 30 fps (I'm using dxtory)

For instance with a SP4 i7, I'm able to play "The Witcher", the first one, at 1728x1152 (roughly equivalent to 1080p), high quality settings in the game, limiting at 30 fps, with the fan stopped.

Using a soft like Dxtory just to limit the fps is a bit strange, if someone knows another way, I'm interested...
    01-02-2016 08:12 AM
    Thank you for creating this thread, for now it gives good indications that it will help me save a lot of battery.

I just have one question about your settings: If you are setting the minimum processor state on 50% and 35%, doesn't that mean you are making your processor run more than it should? My confusion comes from the fact that by default the minimum percentage on both is 5%. It would make more sense to change only the maximum processor state.
    01-02-2016 07:46 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I used this and also the "m3/fanless" energy setting from the heat issue thread and my surface(i7) runs so much cooler and quieter now. Especially battery life is so much better!
    01-03-2016 02:49 PM
    I've been running my SP4 with these settings for the past week and the fan has only come on maybe twice. The device remains pleasantly cool. I went ahead and created a custom "Tablet Mode" power theme with these processor settings.

snip_20160103163901.jpg
    rdubmu and Geo Hutchings like this.
    01-03-2016 04:42 PM
    I applied these setting to my Surface Pro 4 I7 16GB 256 and it cause a BSOD on start up. The only way I found to fix the issue was to reset my machine.

I though it might have been something else I did, but then when I applied it a second time I got the same BSOD.

I am running Windows Insider Build 11082, so it's very possible that might have something to do with it.

But I will not be attempting this again.
    01-03-2016 06:54 PM
    Thank you for creating this thread, for now it gives good indications that it will help me save a lot of battery.

I just have one question about your settings: If you are setting the minimum processor state on 50% and 35%, doesn't that mean you are making your processor run more than it should? My confusion comes from the fact that by default the minimum percentage on both is 5%. It would make more sense to change only the maximum processor state.
    I find 5% to slow, at times and I like to keeps things from jumping about to much, if you look at my cpu when rendering ect its flat not randomly spiking up and down, personal preference :)

Thanks for the tip. I used this and also the "m3/fanless" energy setting from the heat issue thread and my surface(i7) runs so much cooler and quieter now. Especially battery life is so much better!
    Glad to hear :)

I've been running my SP4 with these settings for the past week and the fan has only come on maybe twice. The device remains pleasantly cool. I went ahead and created a custom "Tablet Mode" power theme with these processor settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip_20160103163901.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	119937
    Sweet man :) that's great do you hear the fan more so when plugged in.. as that's what I find, its why I drop mine a lot lower

Ps thought about doing the same XD but to lazy to custom make/rename one

I applied these setting to my Surface Pro 4 I7 16GB 256 and it cause a BSOD on start up. The only way I found to fix the issue was to reset my machine.

I though it might have been something else I did, but then when I applied it a second time I got the same BSOD.

I am running Windows Insider Build 11082, so it's very possible that might have something to do with it.

But I will not be attempting this again.

I recommend reformatting/refreshing... as it should not do that and don't update to Windows Insider Build 11082 on a machine like that, you can but I highly suggest you don't

That's definitely a good trick to get a silent, cold, powerful "tablet", that can be unleashed at any time...
    In order to play 5+ years old games, fanless, I'm also using the following tricks :
    - Custom resolutions (reg files)
    - Frame per second limiter to 30 fps (I'm using dxtory)

For instance with a SP4 i7, I'm able to play "The Witcher", the first one, at 1728x1152 (roughly equivalent to 1080p), high quality settings in the game, limiting at 30 fps, with the fan stopped.

Using a soft like Dxtory just to limit the fps is a bit strange, if someone knows another way, I'm interested...
    Fanless gaming all the way :D it annoys me that ms does not have power option right out of the box
    Last edited by xandros9; 01-03-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    01-03-2016 07:17 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

Just one more question: do you notice your battery life dropping when you keep the processor at a minimum of 50%? I'd imagine it has a negative effect.
    01-03-2016 09:04 PM
162 123 ...