Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
01-05-2016 11:17 AM
71 123
tools
    Big mistake thinking of 3 when 4 is out.
    12-27-2015 06:58 PM
    Big mistake thinking of 3 when 4 is out.
    I save some money getting the three which is why I am considering it.
    12-27-2015 07:51 PM
    I save some money getting the three which is why I am considering it.
    Big mistake, just get the 4 M3 with 10% off and be happy
    12-27-2015 08:01 PM
    Totally agree. The SP3 i5 causes the fan to spin at the drop of a hat. SP4 i5 is much better at not running the fan. less fan use makes the tablet experience much better. so I imagine the M3 would make a good tablet experience as well.
    12-27-2015 08:23 PM
    That's why I am here asking to make sure I get the best deal and best device :)
    12-27-2015 08:30 PM
    That's why I am here asking to make sure I get the best deal and best device :)
    Ok then listen to me. The others will lead you down the wrong i5 path for no good reason
    12-27-2015 08:32 PM

That is with the 10% discount but I believe Microsoft now has a store in NYC so now ill have to pay sales tax :(
    12-27-2015 08:39 PM
    And?

Look its worth a grand I have one. I paid over $1000 too. You really want a hand me down last year SP3 to save a couple bucks? Go big or go home. Its worth the grand and more future proof ...fanless is devine, display is the best.
    12-27-2015 08:45 PM
    Will it last 4 hours though? I have a few four hour classes and probably going to use it mostly in those. Would prefer not being stuck near an outlet.
    That should be no problem - guessing you would be using office like programs and notes for the duration.
    Closingracer likes this.
    12-27-2015 10:55 PM
    That should be no problem - guessing you would be using office like programs and notes for the duration.

Pretty much be using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and one note. Some Web browsing as well between classes and perhaps some candy rush? As much as I love bright screens I understand it kills battery so probably going to keep it around 25%?
    12-27-2015 10:57 PM
    Check Bolt's post history. 90% of it is proselytizing the M3. The remaining 10% is calling people stupid for choosing something beside the M3.

"my video driver keeps crashing..." Bolt: "the M3 never crashes"
    "my SP4 gets scratches..." Bolt: "the M3 is impervious to scratches"
    "my SP4 doesn't go to sleep properly" Bolt: "the M3 has no sleep problems"
    "my kickstand is slightly wobbly" Bolt: "the M3 has a solid kickstand"
    "my daughter is having problems in school" Bolt: "the M3 will solve her problems"
    Grimmric, mc511, TheCudder and 2 others like this.
    12-28-2015 12:35 AM
    Yes it should last 4 hours with the recent updates and tweaks. Basically, don't use the sleep function. Set it to hibernate when you close the lid or press the power button. Sleep has a drain associated with it. With hibernate, it should be a pretty fast log in (5-10 sec or so). Turn off Hey Cortana (you can still access Cortana by long-pressing your pen button or just tapping the Cortana button on-screen). You can also disable Windows Hello if you want (although I keep it on).
    12-28-2015 02:24 PM
    Check Bolt's post history. 90% of it is proselytizing the M3. The remaining 10% is calling people stupid for choosing something beside the M3.

"my video driver keeps crashing..." Bolt: "the M3 never crashes"
    "my SP4 gets scratches..." Bolt: "the M3 is impervious to scratches"
    "my SP4 doesn't go to sleep properly" Bolt: "the M3 has no sleep problems"
    "my kickstand is slightly wobbly" Bolt: "the M3 has a solid kickstand"
    "my daughter is having problems in school" Bolt: "the M3 will solve her problems"
    My M3 has never crashed, I am the one who says DO NOT USE SLEEP use ON/OFF , My kickstand is solid,as for scratches I have one very light one and still would not use a bumper sticker on it (lame), not sure about the daughter comment.

Seems to me you are feeling a bit inadequate to make up stuff...am I right?

You seem to have issues and those cloud the greatness of the M3 no one wants the i5 you have with all the fan issues. Seems there is are a plethora of posts on the fan , fan can be avoided with the M3... M3 users are ultra happy , i5 users post about the fan and passive cooling schemes LOL

Its ok to admit you were wrong and I was correct all along. It happens all the time.
    Last edited by boltman2013; 12-28-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    12-28-2015 05:00 PM
    The Surface pro 4 m3 model is a way of life. The M3 is life. I speed of it is incredible. Get the M3.

Just get what you think you need.
    boltman2013 likes this.
    12-28-2015 05:25 PM
    While I don't have the SP3, I can tell you I have something similiar. Core i3, 4 gigs ram ultrabook. You said you want some light gaming. I'll tell you right now this processor and 4 gigs of ram is ATROCIOUS for gaming. I can't run things much more than Don't Starve and Technobabylon without the thing going belly up.
    12-28-2015 10:47 PM
    While I don't have the SP3, I can tell you I have something similiar. Core i3, 4 gigs ram ultrabook. You said you want some light gaming. I'll tell you right now this processor and 4 gigs of ram is ATROCIOUS for gaming. I can't run things much more than Don't Starve and Technobabylon without the thing going belly up.

I mean light gaming like candy crush or other crap like that just to pass some time.

Also ran wow on an AMD A6 from 2012 and ran some other games on that fine. Also ran most of those games on an AMD from 2009 laptop.
    12-28-2015 11:27 PM
    Last edited by ryland Johnson; 01-02-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    12-28-2015 11:38 PM
    Last edited by ryland Johnson; 01-02-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    onlysublime and Grimmric like this.
    12-28-2015 11:48 PM
    Boltman 2013
    You are miss behaving yourself again. Any thoughts on accepting that holiday I offered you?

Seriously my friend please don't bully members. Some are young or senior and have no real idea what to buy. There are some VERY experienced and knowledgeable members here who have offered some sound advice. Try not to keep this M3 agenda going. Its a brilliant device but there are other options to consider as well. Come on, wise up and try your best to see that what you like another will not. Its all about needs not desires.

To the OP
    The Surface Pro 3 is a very good device indeed. The pro 4 is even better. Sure at the moment some users are experiencing teething software problems. I have not had one (touch wood) In general I don't like going backward with my technology stuff BUT sometimes it pays. If you need your device for a few years I would consider going the Pro4 direction due to its superb screen, updated specs and the pen. If you don' need that then the Pro3 with the Pro4 keyboard would make one hell of a decent compromise.

Please ignore this talk of fans....I have used my i5 ever day for a month now and never heard the fan!

Try this, take a pen and paper and write down what you need from your device. Then compare your needs with what's on offer. Don't confuse needs with wants eh! There is already some very good advice offered here. Rather a lot to take on board as we all have our own agendas and needs. You truly need to work out what your needs and demands on the device will amount to and select accordingly.
    Try the pen and paper route. just make a list of expected needs.

Very best of luck with your course and BTW free time is not games times its a time to revise and study to ensure you pass your course. You will have years after uni to play PC games. End of lecture lol

Kindest regards, Ryland
    "free time" is what I'm calling around an hour or two between my classes on a few days. I am going to school at night since I prefer it that way since the school tends to be busier during the day and considering I take public transportation and only two buses go to the school I avoid the crowds by going at night. I also avoid the "high school feel" since night classes tend to have older mature people in classes which I found true for the most part except for my macroeconomics class. I am forced to take a day class around 4pm this semester so I have a bit of time between that class and my next class so when I mean "free time" just something to do to get ready for my next class.

As far as what power I require is basically Web browsing, Microsoft Office and basically a note taking app like Evernote or one note.

By my "needs" I can definitely go cheaper with a Macbook Air or even way lower with a $400 dollar laptop but the surface has me intrigued with its touchscreen, portability and pen. My budget is as I said around $1,000 and the m3 with cover at the Microsoft store fits it but I can go a bit higher.
    12-28-2015 11:55 PM
    Last edited by ryland Johnson; 01-02-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    onlysublime likes this.
    12-29-2015 12:02 AM
    Hi. Though I own the Surface pro 4 I also own the new Surface 3. That may serve your purpose and is half the cost.

Seriously with some of your free time free your brain! Get your head out of a PC and do something physical, sporting. You have no idea how physical activity improves intellectual work! Pump those muscles and cardio as well as the grey cells and enjoy yourself too.

Do let us know what you decide to buy and why you choose it. Make it your first exercise of the new year! lol

Again, very best of luck. Ryland

Eh I'm not interested in the Intel Atom processor since I am going to be multitasking a bit. Plus the form factor at 10 inches is a bit small imo.

I am active and go to the gym but I have an hour between classes and just want to prepare for the next class by playing candy crush, or etc or watching a movie or something.
    12-29-2015 12:26 AM
    p
    I mean light gaming like candy crush or other crap like that just to pass some time.

Also ran wow on an AMD A6 from 2012 and ran some other games on that fine. Also ran most of those games on an AMD from 2009 laptop.
    based on this.... surface pro 3 man, that should be fine for you. not like candy crush is cpu intensive, and email, word, etc you don't need a high end cpu or anything.
    ryland Johnson likes this.
    12-29-2015 08:30 AM
    I was in the same boat as you a few months back but I was buying for use while teaching and not as a students. I went a little higher an bought the SP4 i5 8GB 256GB SSD version. The only reason I went that route is because of the RAM, I use Photoshop as well and wanted something that could handle it a little better. I was seriously considering the M3 but I like the extra RAM and the extra storage is also a plus. I do not know how much you plan on using the pen but after playing with both devices I am a huge fan of the increased sensitivity that the SP4 gives.

I was tempted to get the SP3 but in the end I chose not to. It is a fine machine but the screen on the SP4 is absolutely stunning and the machine overall is more future proof. I am one of those that would rather spend a little more now and not have to upgrade for quite some time.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with either of the choices you have shown to us. Really it is all down to what your wallet can handle. I hope my ramblings have helped you in making a more informed decision. :)
    Closingracer likes this.
    12-29-2015 05:13 PM
    I was in the same boat as you a few months back but I was buying for use while teaching and not as a students. I went a little higher an bought the SP4 i5 8GB 256GB SSD version. The only reason I went that route is because of the RAM, I use Photoshop as well and wanted something that could handle it a little better. I was seriously considering the M3 but I like the extra RAM and the extra storage is also a plus. I do not know how much you plan on using the pen but after playing with both devices I am a huge fan of the increased sensitivity that the SP4 gives.

I was tempted to get the SP3 but in the end I chose not to. It is a fine machine but the screen on the SP4 is absolutely stunning and the machine overall is more future proof. I am one of those that would rather spend a little more now and not have to upgrade for quite some time.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with either of the choices you have shown to us. Really it is all down to what your wallet can handle. I hope my ramblings have helped you in making a more informed decision. :)
    After thinking about it I decided I'lll get the SP 4 with the Intel M3 model. I don't need more than 4GB of ram for what I will be using it for amd the M3 sound good based off reviews. I was just scared of thr base clock of 0.9ghz

Going to wait until February to buy it so I don't need to spend my money now and hopefully a sale on it between now and then.
    12-30-2015 08:02 PM
    Last edited by ryland Johnson; 01-02-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Closingracer likes this.
    12-31-2015 07:19 PM
71 123