Is the surface pro 4 for me?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm only asking for 4 hours tops but my 4 hour classes rarely go all 4 hours based off my last semester.

The only time I got less than that was when I was gaming on it, and even then, it got about 2 hours to 2 and a half hours. The least I've ever achieved with normal usage was 4-5 hours. And the most, around 6-7. Average: 5-6 haha.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Why are you continue to bring the i5 into the discussion ..it was between Core M , Core M3 and i3 he doesn't care about the SP 3 i5... my son has that Sp3i5 machine and he likes mine better the M3 (rocks)

Because he brought up the Costco deal. Read before you write. Unlike you, I pay attention to the question.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you go for the sp3 hold off the update to windows 10 till you hear most glitches were fixed. My friends with sp3's rolled back to windows 8 because on 10 their battery life was cut in half (still does 4 hours but on windows 8.1 is much better than that). Would be nice to check if the deal you saw is with the old keyboard or the new. The new one is much better.

I do love the new keyboard. Though it did take some adjustment as the keys are spaced apart now (I was so used to the Type Cover 2 for a couple years; skipped the Surface Pro 3 keyboard).

The older type covers are still great. Just awful trackpad.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
If you go for the sp3 hold off the update to windows 10 till you hear most glitches were fixed. My friends with sp3's rolled back to windows 8 because on 10 their battery life was cut in half (still does 4 hours but on windows 8.1 is much better than that). Would be nice to check if the deal you saw is with the old keyboard or the new. The new one is much better.

It's the old one I assume. It's Costco lol

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
The OP brought it in the discussion, for the deal he mentions is not too bad. I'd still go for the M3 with the university discount though for the same money. Unless the SP3 has a much bigger SSD.

I didn't check the ssd out but I'll check. I have until Thursday to decide.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
ce32d3b1cea080c6f6f1adc4ba1dd9ce.jpg

That is with the 10% discount but I believe Microsoft now has a store in NYC so now ill have to pay sales tax :(

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
And?

Look its worth a grand I have one. I paid over $1000 too. You really want a hand me down last year SP3 to save a couple bucks? Go big or go home. Its worth the grand and more future proof ...fanless is devine, display is the best.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
That should be no problem - guessing you would be using office like programs and notes for the duration.

Pretty much be using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and one note. Some Web browsing as well between classes and perhaps some candy rush? As much as I love bright screens I understand it kills battery so probably going to keep it around 25%?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Check Bolt's post history. 90% of it is proselytizing the M3. The remaining 10% is calling people stupid for choosing something beside the M3.

"my video driver keeps crashing..." Bolt: "the M3 never crashes"
"my SP4 gets scratches..." Bolt: "the M3 is impervious to scratches"
"my SP4 doesn't go to sleep properly" Bolt: "the M3 has no sleep problems"
"my kickstand is slightly wobbly" Bolt: "the M3 has a solid kickstand"
"my daughter is having problems in school" Bolt: "the M3 will solve her problems"

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes it should last 4 hours with the recent updates and tweaks. Basically, don't use the sleep function. Set it to hibernate when you close the lid or press the power button. Sleep has a drain associated with it. With hibernate, it should be a pretty fast log in (5-10 sec or so). Turn off Hey Cortana (you can still access Cortana by long-pressing your pen button or just tapping the Cortana button on-screen). You can also disable Windows Hello if you want (although I keep it on).

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Check Bolt's post history. 90% of it is proselytizing the M3. The remaining 10% is calling people stupid for choosing something beside the M3.

"my video driver keeps crashing..." Bolt: "the M3 never crashes"
"my SP4 gets scratches..." Bolt: "the M3 is impervious to scratches"
"my SP4 doesn't go to sleep properly" Bolt: "the M3 has no sleep problems"
"my kickstand is slightly wobbly" Bolt: "the M3 has a solid kickstand"
"my daughter is having problems in school" Bolt: "the M3 will solve her problems"

My M3 has never crashed, I am the one who says DO NOT USE SLEEP use ON/OFF , My kickstand is solid,as for scratches I have one very light one and still would not use a bumper sticker on it (lame), not sure about the daughter comment.

Seems to me you are feeling a bit inadequate to make up stuff...am I right?

You seem to have issues and those cloud the greatness of the M3 no one wants the i5 you have with all the fan issues. Seems there is are a plethora of posts on the fan , fan can be avoided with the M3... M3 users are ultra happy , i5 users post about the fan and passive cooling schemes LOL

Its ok to admit you were wrong and I was correct all along. It happens all the time.

Last edited:

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
The Surface pro 4 m3 model is a way of life. The M3 is life. I speed of it is incredible. Get the M3.

Just get what you think you need.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
While I don't have the SP3, I can tell you I have something similiar. Core i3, 4 gigs ram ultrabook. You said you want some light gaming. I'll tell you right now this processor and 4 gigs of ram is ATROCIOUS for gaming. I can't run things much more than Don't Starve and Technobabylon without the thing going belly up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)