Is the surface pro 4 for me?

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
While I don't have the SP3, I can tell you I have something similiar. Core i3, 4 gigs ram ultrabook. You said you want some light gaming. I'll tell you right now this processor and 4 gigs of ram is ATROCIOUS for gaming. I can't run things much more than Don't Starve and Technobabylon without the thing going belly up.

I mean light gaming like candy crush or other crap like that just to pass some time.

Also ran wow on an AMD A6 from 2012 and ran some other games on that fine. Also ran most of those games on an AMD from 2009 laptop.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Boltman 2013
You are miss behaving yourself again. Any thoughts on accepting that holiday I offered you?

Seriously my friend please don't bully members. Some are young or senior and have no real idea what to buy. There are some VERY experienced and knowledgeable members here who have offered some sound advice. Try not to keep this M3 agenda going. Its a brilliant device but there are other options to consider as well. Come on, wise up and try your best to see that what you like another will not. Its all about needs not desires.

To the OP
The Surface Pro 3 is a very good device indeed. The pro 4 is even better. Sure at the moment some users are experiencing teething software problems. I have not had one (touch wood) In general I don't like going backward with my technology stuff BUT sometimes it pays. If you need your device for a few years I would consider going the Pro4 direction due to its superb screen, updated specs and the pen. If you don' need that then the Pro3 with the Pro4 keyboard would make one hell of a decent compromise.

Please ignore this talk of fans....I have used my i5 ever day for a month now and never heard the fan!

Try this, take a pen and paper and write down what you need from your device. Then compare your needs with what's on offer. Don't confuse needs with wants eh! There is already some very good advice offered here. Rather a lot to take on board as we all have our own agendas and needs. You truly need to work out what your needs and demands on the device will amount to and select accordingly.
Try the pen and paper route. just make a list of expected needs.

Very best of luck with your course and BTW free time is not games times its a time to revise and study to ensure you pass your course. You will have years after uni to play PC games. End of lecture lol

Kindest regards, Ryland

"free time" is what I'm calling around an hour or two between my classes on a few days. I am going to school at night since I prefer it that way since the school tends to be busier during the day and considering I take public transportation and only two buses go to the school I avoid the crowds by going at night. I also avoid the "high school feel" since night classes tend to have older mature people in classes which I found true for the most part except for my macroeconomics class. I am forced to take a day class around 4pm this semester so I have a bit of time between that class and my next class so when I mean "free time" just something to do to get ready for my next class.

As far as what power I require is basically Web browsing, Microsoft Office and basically a note taking app like Evernote or one note.

By my "needs" I can definitely go cheaper with a Macbook Air or even way lower with a $400 dollar laptop but the surface has me intrigued with its touchscreen, portability and pen. My budget is as I said around $1,000 and the m3 with cover at the Microsoft store fits it but I can go a bit higher.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Though I own the Surface pro 4 I also own the new Surface 3. That may serve your purpose and is half the cost.

Seriously with some of your free time free your brain! Get your head out of a PC and do something physical, sporting. You have no idea how physical activity improves intellectual work! Pump those muscles and cardio as well as the grey cells and enjoy yourself too.

Do let us know what you decide to buy and why you choose it. Make it your first exercise of the new year! lol

Again, very best of luck. Ryland

Eh I'm not interested in the Intel Atom processor since I am going to be multitasking a bit. Plus the form factor at 10 inches is a bit small imo.

I am active and go to the gym but I have an hour between classes and just want to prepare for the next class by playing candy crush, or etc or watching a movie or something.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
p
I mean light gaming like candy crush or other crap like that just to pass some time.

Also ran wow on an AMD A6 from 2012 and ran some other games on that fine. Also ran most of those games on an AMD from 2009 laptop.

based on this.... surface pro 3 man, that should be fine for you. not like candy crush is cpu intensive, and email, word, etc you don't need a high end cpu or anything.

saintrobyn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you a few months back but I was buying for use while teaching and not as a students. I went a little higher an bought the SP4 i5 8GB 256GB SSD version. The only reason I went that route is because of the RAM, I use Photoshop as well and wanted something that could handle it a little better. I was seriously considering the M3 but I like the extra RAM and the extra storage is also a plus. I do not know how much you plan on using the pen but after playing with both devices I am a huge fan of the increased sensitivity that the SP4 gives.

I was tempted to get the SP3 but in the end I chose not to. It is a fine machine but the screen on the SP4 is absolutely stunning and the machine overall is more future proof. I am one of those that would rather spend a little more now and not have to upgrade for quite some time.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with either of the choices you have shown to us. Really it is all down to what your wallet can handle. I hope my ramblings have helped you in making a more informed decision. :)

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you a few months back but I was buying for use while teaching and not as a students. I went a little higher an bought the SP4 i5 8GB 256GB SSD version. The only reason I went that route is because of the RAM, I use Photoshop as well and wanted something that could handle it a little better. I was seriously considering the M3 but I like the extra RAM and the extra storage is also a plus. I do not know how much you plan on using the pen but after playing with both devices I am a huge fan of the increased sensitivity that the SP4 gives.

I was tempted to get the SP3 but in the end I chose not to. It is a fine machine but the screen on the SP4 is absolutely stunning and the machine overall is more future proof. I am one of those that would rather spend a little more now and not have to upgrade for quite some time.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with either of the choices you have shown to us. Really it is all down to what your wallet can handle. I hope my ramblings have helped you in making a more informed decision. :)

After thinking about it I decided I'lll get the SP 4 with the Intel M3 model. I don't need more than 4GB of ram for what I will be using it for amd the M3 sound good based off reviews. I was just scared of thr base clock of 0.9ghz

Going to wait until February to buy it so I don't need to spend my money now and hopefully a sale on it between now and then.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
For Goodness sake don't tell Bolt he will come live next door to you, dig your garden and mow your lawn! lol

Sounds to me a wise choice you made.

Have a great 2016, Ryland

LOL. I seen his posts and just sounds like a crazy ******. The M3 happens to be the cheapest model and for me I don't need a powerhouse for my needs. I have a laptop with 8gb of RAM, an Intel i7 -4710MQ which is clocked at 2.5 and turbo boost up to 3.5ghz and a nvidia 970m gpu. I have that for at home and just need this for notes and papers for college while in school.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you must already know you can get a LOT of laptop for that kind of money. Agree on the charging aspect. Laptop chargers are getting smaller, though

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure you must already know you can get a LOT of laptop for that kind of money. Agree on the charging aspect. Laptop chargers are getting smaller, though

Oh know lol and I'm debating it still but I have my heart set on a surface pro 4. I really do like the pen and the fact it's a "tablet" still. I'm looking between a Macbook Air, sp4 and a few laptops like the Dell XPS 13 and some others on the Microsoft store but I keep coming back to the sp4 and the pen.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Happy New Year everyone!
I like the thinking of applying the right amount of power where its needed. MY main PC is a Pro4 in my home office with a Pluggable dock, but I have a "Mini-Office" in the family room (a tiny gate leg table that I can pull up to the couch between my knees), where I use a Surface 2 with type cover. It works great for every business and personal need. Low-cost, High-service. As portable as these two units are, they rarely move from these positions. My real mobile needs around the house and outside are handled by a Dell Venue 8 Pro and my Lumia 920. Heavy work outside the house can be supported by either Surface, unplug and go.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If you go the 4, you'll love it. It has easily replaced my HP dv7, so when it's time to lug, I'll be lugging less. Take a look at my other post.
I don't get why any person doing business (regular business, not broadcast or press) would think Apple anything. Business does not have the time to wedge in non-Windows devices, especially over time. Using common platforms means best integration, least overall learning curves, best collaboration.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
If you go the 4, you'll love it. It has easily replaced my HP dv7, so when it's time to lug, I'll be lugging less. Take a look at my other post.
I don't get why any person doing business (regular business, not broadcast or press) would think Apple anything. Business does not have the time to wedge in non-Windows devices, especially over time. Using common platforms means best integration, least overall learning curves, best collaboration.

Eh Apple devices aren't that bad specially if you've used them before. For me I basically only need Microsoft Office so a Macbook would work in theory. Still am considering it because the 11 inch and 13 inch air is still cheaper if you include the type cover. Granted I am leaning towards the surface because it is windows.

I also have an iPad for now and an iPhone and the integration is a factor why I am considering a Macbook Air.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Honestly the only thing that sets apart the SP4 and other laptops is the portability, screen res, and pen+ OneNote integration.

I'm in college too, starting second semester soon, and let me tell you the Surface is a godsend when taking notes. It's easier to take notes with the pen (can erase quickly and draw diagrams fast), and easier to organize your notes.

Also, you can record lectures in case a professor doesn't want to use textbooks.

The SP4 might fit the bill for you, but since you don't do intensive stuff, the SP3 might be the cheaper option. The fan should rarely kick in as usage is minimal.

On another note, can you recommend any good macroeconomics textbooks?

Edit: Happy New Years everyone!

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Eh Apple devices aren't that bad specially if you've used them before. For me I basically only need Microsoft Office so a Macbook would work in theory. Still am considering it because the 11 inch and 13 inch air is still cheaper if you include the type cover. Granted I am leaning towards the surface because it is windows.

I also have an iPad for now and an iPhone and the integration is a factor why I am considering a Macbook Air.

I would guess you do not work for a business that is Windows-based. If you did, then the integration of using the same personal platforms at home as well as the office would be the right move, without a doubt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb